Aches back again
Dec 6, 2007 7:05 AM
My history.     Replaced my old mattress after having numbness and aches in my shoulders with a Simmons World Class Beauty rest  PLUSH mattress, not a pillow top.     I was having trouble getting comfortable and sleeping on my sides & was experiencing some aches in my hips. Sooooooo it was recommended I get a pillow top instead.    Not wanting to go through the exchange hassle it was recommended I try a 3"  latex topper.  Sooooooo  I got a 3" topper from FBM 20 ILD, soft.   I have been on this  6 days and my shoulder problems are back.   What did I do wrong ?   Do I need more time to adjust  ??   Thanks for any inputs.
This message was modified Dec 6, 2007 by JoeA
Re: Aches back again
Reply #1 Dec 6, 2007 1:14 PM
Not picking on you specifically, because numerous others are also guilty of this.  In the future please DO NOT start additional threads related to the same issue.  Doing so just complicates things by segmenting previous related discussion.  Additional comments should have been continued in the original thread.  As I understand it, the present admin control panel of this evolving forum software does NOT allow the moderator to merge posts or threads, only delete them.
Reply #2 Dec 7, 2007 6:10 AM
Are you having the same kind of pain or is this something different? If it's the same, you could be bottoming out and feeling the firmer mattress underneath. 

Sometimes it takes more than one layer and more than one material to get comfortable. You could need a little more padding either under the latex or on top of it-- essentially building your own replaceable pillowtop. Unfortunately this is pretty much a trial and error thing. You might try placing a simple and inexpensive PU eggcrate topper underneath the latex.

I had an old super firm mattress that not only gave me hip and shoulder pain--it made me numb besides. What worked for me was a 2" memory foam topper over a PU eggcrate and a fiber pad (kind of like a fiber bed only thinner) on the bottom. For me this struck the ideal balance between support and comfort. But the memory foam alone wasn't enough. I wouldn't recommend getting any more soft latex or you run the risk of losing support and just sinking into a lot of hot foam.

Good luck. I hope you get it worked out.

Reply #3 Dec 7, 2007 6:52 AM
With my old mattress,  I was having shoulder pains & numbness.  I'm a side sleeper.   With my new mattress, the pains & numbness were resolved.  I still didn't feel comfortable, so I went with the 3"  FBM latex topper.   I do feel like my body now is lower than the pillow, so now it's to soft ? So now I''m to far from the coils & no support ? Maybe I should return the topper & live with the mattress, but then I'm out the shipping charges both ways.  What a hassle.   Thanks for the reply.
Reply #4 Dec 7, 2007 12:03 PM
I would think 3" of 20ILD would be too soft for most people. I really enjoy my 1" 20ILD over my gel bed, so I have been recommending 1" 20ILD latex over a bed that gives pretty good support along with some softness. If a bed is just flat out hard, maybe 2" of 20ILD. In fact, for a topper, one could start building it up 1" latex at a time - that would be the safest way, since shipping is free over $50 at FBM.
Reply #5 Dec 7, 2007 5:04 PM
Actually, FBM recommended that I go with 3", since I'm a side sleeper.  I will probably just keep it & see if I can adapt or use it else where, since I'll only get about half my money back after paying for shipping both ways & rush fee.  .  Thanks.
Reply #6 Dec 9, 2007 5:25 AM
Joe, sounds like the bed is now too soft for you and you are feeling the lack of support through the shoulders. I had the same problem with 3" of 20 ILD latex. Since you are no longer experiencing pain or numbness with your new mattress as it is you probably want just a little more cushiness without losing the support. If you can exchange the 3" topper for a 1" topper I think you will be much happier with it. 

Adjusting to a new mattress is simply a matter of getting used to something that feels different from what you've been accustomed to sleeping on. It should never cause you pain or discomfort. If it does it's not providing the correct level of support or comfort for you body. You don't get used to it over time. You just get more uncomfortable. I know. Been there, done that!

Reply #7 Dec 11, 2007 6:42 AM
Thanks for your input.

Recent Posts