Wool over foam
Dec 21, 2013 9:45 AM
Has anyone put wool over memory foam?  We want to to cool our sleeping situation slightly with the wool.  The only problem is if we add a layer of wool will we negate the ability of the memory foam to conform to our bodies?

Cheers.

Re: Wool over foam
Reply #1 Dec 23, 2013 11:04 AM
You may want to use a wool filled mattress pad.  That gives you some benefits of wool, without much affect on feel. 

That is what I do.  A thicker wool topper will help with heat more, but affect feel more.   So, there is the trade off. 

Reply #2 Feb 9, 2014 2:45 PM
it is my understanding that the memory foam "conforms" to your body shape is a result of your body heat.  Therefore, placing something in between your body and the memory foam will affect how the mattress conforms.  I think you are right, you will need to weigh the benefits of one over the other.  As mentioned, it is possible that a minimal wool pad will not isolate you as much and may split the fruit in half giving you the best compromise you can hope for.
Reply #3 Feb 27, 2014 2:35 PM
Many of the latex manufacturers use a wool layer in their mattress pad.  We had actually thought of buying a wool toppper (my wife needed some extra PLUSH) but it was opined that for 1-2 weeks, the topper would feel great.  Then the topper would compress and become firmer.  Unless I was willing to constantly flush the topper, it would not give my wife the feel she was looking for.

As indicated by others, the wool is an excellent body temperature regulator but depending on the thickness of the topper in question, it may 1) negate some of the benefits you wanted by choosing the memory foam in the first place and 2) may compress.  If you are not concerned about what might be a firmer feel, or are willing to constantly fluff the topper, then it is a good direction, if body temperature is your main concern.

Recent Posts