Who is Sleep Science?
Oct 16, 2011 2:57 PM
After the previous thread of how much we hate our NovaForm Gel mattress (hard as a rock, yet touted as /normalplush), I started looking at other mattresses from Costco.

Sooooo, who is Sleep Science and should they be considered? They have what they are calling a pillowtop (which in a foam mattress seems redundant)

Hybrid Bliss

• Mattress top layer: 1” of proprietary 5 lb black diamond bamboo charcoal visco memory foam.  
  • Second layer: 1” of proprietary 5 lb slumber tech visco memory foam.
  • Third layer: 2” of medium latex
  • Bottom layer: 7” proprietary support tech base foam.

Or they have a Pillow top Ara:

• 13” pillow top mattress fits the dimensions of your bed
  • Meets the requirements of 16 CFR Part 1633 - Federal flammability (open flame) standards
  • Limited Warranty: 20 years
  • Cover is bamboo fabric consisting of three layers.  This fabric is 300g/m2, the percentage of bamboo is 40%, nylon is 40%, polyester is 20%.
  • Cover top layer: 100% bamboo fabric
  • Middle layer: 100% nylon
  • Bottom layer: 100% polyester. 
  • Micro-suede cover sides are 100% polyester
  • Mattress core top layer: 3 inches 5-lb visco foam, 11-13 IFD
  • Second layer: 3-5/8 inches 5-lb visco foam, 11-13 IFD
  • Third layer: ½ inch air barrier
  • Fourth Layer: The Wedge Patented Edge Support System
  • Base layer: 6” Air Channel Base, dual density, dual IFD, relief cut urethane core

Thoughts?

Re: Who is Sleep Science?
Reply #11 Nov 3, 2011 10:35 AM
Robertwhite-

Just checking in to see if you'd made a decision or a purchase? Did you wind up going with the Sleep Science hybrid? If you did- I'd love to hear what you think!

Reply #12 Nov 3, 2011 12:56 PM
Dallasgirl wrote:

Hi Sandman,

I had a few questions about your experience with Sleep Science hybrid if you have a moment.

LONG story short, we took a chance on the Sealy Embody Introspection a few months ago b/c my husband doesn't like the feel of traditional Tempurpedic memory foam. He likes it with a quicker recovery time- less deep slow sinking, slightly bouncier. Which the Introspection was. We LOVED it for about 8-10 weeks. But, now it's already softening and sinking a TON and the past several nights we're both having back pain again. We've tried 100% latex which I loved on paper, but in real life, just never worked out for us.

I was researching the Tempurpedic Bellafina when I realized it was memory foam over latex over core b/c that helps give you the cush of memory foam, but a little more bounce back that other Tempurpedic models. Of course, the king set is like $3,400. Not out of the question, but steep.

When we were looking a few months back, Sleep Science no longer had a memory foam / latex hybrid available, but I see it's back now on Costco!

I just wondered how the one you had felt. You mentioned it was pretty firm? I think that's good for us b/c I am a stomach sleeper. I need a little cush, but mostly firm. I wondered if this bed had a quicker recovery time than other memory foam since it was sitting on the latex? If it felt supportive?

Most importantly, I wondered how your Sleep Science 5lb memory foam beds or toppers have keep their support? Seems like this Introspection has just turned to mush in the last few months. It started out wonderful and now just doesnt have the same support at all, which is causing back pain. I'm hoping to find one that will keep it's support and firmness for a few years!!! No sinking and sagging!

I'm thinking this Sleep Science hybrid might be a nice combo of memory foam and latex for us, the price is good at $1,149 kind mattress (would get the foundation elsewhere), and it's returnable forever on Costco if it didn't hold up.

Would love any additional thoughts you might have on Sleep Science-- either the hybrid, their 5lb memory foam quality, or both! smiley

MANY THANKS!

The hybrid one I tried was the 14" Celeste.  I found some reviews for the queen and king.    Note that a couple also say it was pretty firm.  The Celeste had a 10" base, 2" of medium latex and 2" of 5lb. memory foam.  So, pretty similiar to the hybrid one they have now, but not sure if they have changed the firmness of any of the foams.  I think they latex layer was dunlop, and probably too firm for my taste.  If they would have had 3" of a bit softer talalay latex, it might of worked for me.   I also didn't like the fact that it was 14".   Having the 10" base seemed unecessary to me, and would have made it too tall if toppers were added.   Still, I did like the plush feel of the memory foam from what little I used it, but the layers below did not seem to give enough.  It probably would have softened over time, but maybe not enough.  It felt supportive, because once you sunk in a bit, you definitely had some pushback from the latex layer.  The one nice thing about having some latex is that it gives it a little more springiness, as opposed to a dead feel of pure PU foam.

I checked the cover again of the old memory foam topper I have, and it says Sleep Innovations, not Sleep Science.  So, probably not the same.  That seemed to hold up well for many years.   Note that you don't really get a lot of support from memory foam.  You sink in most of the way, and it molds to the body.   So, that is what makes it feel nice, but too much can cause back issues.   You don't sink in quite as much in the more dense ones, so that is why they provide a bit more support.   Over time the cells do break down, and you get less support.   So, I tend to stick with 1-2" of memory foam and latex or springs for the rest.

If you want a fairly firm mattress with some plushness on top, the hybrid might be a good solution.  You can't beat the Costco return policy.  They delivered and picked up on schedule, and it did not cost me a cent.

Reply #13 Nov 3, 2011 2:51 PM
Thanks so much Sandman!

May I ask what your mattress of choice is now days? That'll help me judge the level of softness you prefer in comparison to the 'too hard for you' hybrid if that makes sense :)

I've become pretty familiar with latex, memory foam, etc... in the past few months, so I should be able to understand your soft/firm preference based on what you're sleeping on now- assuming you love what you have now! ;)

Reply #14 Nov 4, 2011 11:53 AM
Dallasgirl wrote:

Thanks so much Sandman!

May I ask what your mattress of choice is now days? That'll help me judge the level of softness you prefer in comparison to the 'too hard for you' hybrid if that makes sense :)

I've become pretty familiar with latex, memory foam, etc... in the past few months, so I should be able to understand your soft/firm preference based on what you're sleeping on now- assuming you love what you have now! ;)

I have pretty firm Sealy springs + 2" 32 talalay + 1" 24 talalay + 1" 5.9lb memory foam + 1" 19 ILD talalay.   In winter, I add 1" of 4lb mem-cool memory foam on top (I am using that right now).   In summer, I tend to like it firmer and cooler, so I often take off the 1 extra inch of memory foam.   I also have 1" of 5lb Sensus memory foam.  I would probably prefer the 2" of 5+ lb memory foam on top, but that often gets too hot for me.

Reply #15 Nov 8, 2011 12:35 PM
Sandman,

Do you know much about Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses? They have a model called the Willow or Alpine. It's honeycombed pocket coils- like 1,200+ and 2" of ~25ILD talalay latex on top of that. Seems to be very good quality and like it would last 10 years or so. 10 year full warranty.

Keeping in mind that need a relatively firm mattress with good support b/c I am a stomach sleeper, and that I do like a bit of cush at the top, any thoughts on this combination? Or the reputation / quality / durability of Berkeley Ergonomics?

Many thanks!

Reply #16 Nov 8, 2011 1:53 PM
Dallasgirl wrote:

Sandman,

Do you know much about Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses? They have a model called the Willow or Alpine. It's honeycombed pocket coils- like 1,200+ and 2" of ~25ILD talalay latex on top of that. Seems to be very good quality and like it would last 10 years or so. 10 year full warranty.

Keeping in mind that need a relatively firm mattress with good support b/c I am a stomach sleeper, and that I do like a bit of cush at the top, any thoughts on this combination? Or the reputation / quality / durability of Berkeley Ergonomics?

Many thanks!

No, I don't know anything about them, but their product seems pretty good on the website.  Generally, coils laced together (Sealy for example) will be firmer than pocketed coils.  Of course, it will depend on number coils,  coil thickness, how the pockets are made, etc.   The pocketed coils might wear out a bit faster, because there can be more work done by the ones you lay on top of the most (interlacing spreads the load out a bit), but I am not certain of that.    For a side sleeper, I like the combination.  In fact, if I was starting over today I would want to explore pocketed coils.  For a stomach sleeper, it is less clear.   You will have to make sure it is firm enough for your needs.

p.s.  I found that adding my 1" of 4lb memory foam on top of my stack made it too soft (a bit of back and kneck soreness), so I am back to using 4" of latex and 1" of memory foam.  I may try putting 1" of my 5lb memory foam under some latex to make it slightly softer for winter.

Reply #17 Jan 3, 2012 5:32 PM
I'm interested in anyones experiences with the Sleep Science hybrid as well.  The one Costco is selling now is so new that there aren't many reviews yet, but I'm thinking of giving it a try.
This message was modified Jan 3, 2012 by sleepquest
Reply #18 Jan 4, 2012 8:45 PM
I'm also interested in any reviews on the hybrid sleep science from Costco.  Found a few old reviews at http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11677713 FYI.  Debating between the Novaform Serafina or the Hybrid Sleep Science.  Suggestions/opinions appreciated.
Reply #19 Jan 5, 2012 1:19 AM
Hey guys.

I do not personally own a Sleep Science, but a good friend owns the SS Ara from Costco. He's had it a year or so and loves it. But- it's all memory foam (no latex) and a lot of it (5-6" on top I think). My husband just doesnt love the feel of most memory foam, so we opted not to try the Ara.

I do love the Tempurpedic Bellafina-- it's a very similar layering as the SS Hybrid-- memory foam over latex. It's a bit bouncier than most other Tempur models and it's fairly firm. I believe you'll read that about the SS Hybrid as well. The nice thing about the hybrid (not having actually tried it) is that it's quite a bit less expensive than the Bellafina and it's returnable nearly forever with Costco! Sort of a win win. Of course, maybe not the caliber of Tempurpedic, but also not the price! Perhaps you could find a mattress locally that's memory foam over latex just to generally get the idea of what that feels like. I will warn you though, they are hard to find!

After a year long mattress saga and much research, we have finally decided to go with the Berkeley Ergonomics bed from Sovn here in Dallas. It's firm pocket coils (high count) + 2" of talalay latex. Mostly b/c I think I need more support than most memory foam can offer even as a comfort layer. But- if this new bed does not work out for any reason, I am throwing in the towel and buying the hybrid from Costco for the money and the return policy. But, I have high hopes for this Berkeley Ergonomics mattress, so we'll see!

If either of you decide to get the Sleep Science hybrid, please report back. I'd love to hear all about it! For the price and the return policy, it seems like a very interesting option!

Reply #20 Apr 11, 2012 12:00 PM
I did get the hybrid from Cosco and have had it for about 90 days.  The mattress appears to have pretty good quality but I found it is 10" rather than 11".  The base foam appears to be 6" rather 7" as described.  I sent Sleep Science an email suggesting they revise their description on their web site accordingly and consider a price adjustment but didn't even get a curtesy response.  Anyway, I consider the mattress to be very firm and doesn't seem to have much cushion in the comfort layer.  Seems like they need to add another two inches of 5# in the second layer to provide that cushion.  As a side sleeper, I find the mattress too firm and am debating on returning it and getting the Ara or adding a 3" talalay topper in the 19 ILD area.  If anyone has suggestions, they'd be appreciated.

Recent Posts