What would be a good choice for me??
Dec 30, 2011 12:48 AM
Hi all and help!

I am in need of a new mattress.  Been sleeping on a 20yr old Simmons Maxipedic "Caress" firm with a 1.5inch memory foam topper on top.  (I know, I know, what the hell have I been waiting for so long!!!)  I'm in my 50's, with chronic neck, shoulder, and some low back pain.  I also wake up with headaches often.  I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis.  I can't stand firm beds aymore, but don't want to sleep in a hamock either.  I'm looking for something that will be soft enough to envelop my neck and shoulders, but firm enough to support my back. I am a side sleeper.  I also have a pillow between my knees. My weight is 150 pounds and 5'6". I have also been playing musical pillows for my head forever!

I have looked locally, (I live in the Pacific Northwest,) at Parklane Mattress Factory.  The bed I was liking was the "Brentwood"- pocketed coils with a 2inch 19 ILD laytex topper. Soft  Bamboo knit cover.  They have since (recently) changed it to a 1inch laytex topper with another non-knit cover. (i feel this might be too firm for me)  They also have one called the "Rogue" which is 6inch 28ILD latex with 3inch 19ILD on top, covered with cotton. Another possibility is the "Kelsay"- pocketed coil base, 2000 2.5 inch mini pocketed coils on top of that, topped with 2inches of 19ILD latex, bamboo fabric cover.  

I'm frustrated at this point, not sure what I should do.  My main problem is the pain in my neck and shoulder area (pressure points), but not wanting to sacrifice my back either.  I want this future bed to not make body impression too soon.  I must be wishing for something that doesn't exist!  I'm open to all suggestions and ideas

Thanks smiley

This message was modified Dec 30, 2011 by DormireBene
Re: What would be a good choice for me??
Reply #1 Dec 30, 2011 2:40 AM
I have one word for you: zoning !  At least that's what this side-sleeper, with issues much like yours, seems to think is the answer for him at this point.  The idea is firm under your butt, so it doesn't sink too low and make your back hurt (as your back muscles struggle to keep your spine straight, or fail at doing so), but soft under your shoulders so they don't get pressure points.   For me, the hip area is mid-ILD latex; the main thing I'm struggling with, at this point, is whether the soft shoulder layer should be memory-foam or low-ILD latex.   Right now I have some scrap memory-foam under the shoulders and I'm pretty happy, so I think I may replace it with something better and call it good.

So what I'll likely end up with is (all from FBM, aka. foambymail) 3" of LUX-HQ, 3" of HD36-HQ, 2" of 20 ILD latex under the mid-area, and 2" of 4 or 5lb memory-foam under the shoulders and feet.   Since I've been doing this iteratively, the 20 ILD latex is a full piece folded double, meaning I need something else (the memory-foam) under the shoulders and feet.   I don't think the feet really care, so that should work.   When I feel confident I'm where I want to be, I'll cut the latex in half, for two 1" layers (instead of just folding it over).   Perhaps I'll add a full layer of 1" of very-low ILD latex at some point.   It's worth mentioning that there's some consensus that the 20 ILD latex from FBM is closer to 30 ILD in reality. This whole rig (in queen-size, minus the final 1" topper) is less than $400.

I've become a firm believer, iike many on this forum, in this process of gradually converging on my final mattress.   You're more likely to get exactly what you want, and spend a lot less money to boot.  It seems insane to spend 10 minutes laying on something at a store and then plop down the $1000-3000 you see folks spending.   Even if you bought exactly what I've described, in one fell swoop, and decide you don't like it, you'd be not be that far into those kind of big bucks, you'd have learned a lot about what you want, and you could maybe use it for a guest bed.   Not that I'm saying that's what you should do (all at once).

Good luck.  This stuff is confusing as heck.

Re: What would be a good choice for me??
Reply #2 Dec 30, 2011 2:54 PM
Sounds like you may have been hurting for awhile! I slept on pocketed coils for several years (I am lazy and do not want to go through the motions of switching out layers and trial and error... mainly because I do not have the time to do so and do not experience any major issues over the last several years) and have slept well withou paying the high prices in the $2k+ range.

I have also sold pocketed coils in Serta, Sealy, Stearns & Foster and Simmons. They each have very specific profiles on feel and there are some companies in the NorthWest that can help you custom fit the sleep system to your needs. In order to not sell myself, I will refrain from listing my company here, but if your salesperson or consultant does not walk you through a series of questions concerning you and your pain(s), let's you try different systems (types of support) and listen to your responses of "comfortable" or "uncomfortable", you are in the wrong store.

Many salespeople will just keep telling you what they think you should get (and pay them for it) while those of us who pride ourselves in accuracy can help you find YOUR favorite comfort, support and price...

I have not worked with ParkLane (although I have seen a couple of their locations), but if their coil system is solid enough, their pocketed coil may work very well for you. The body impressions can be reduced by eliminating all moisture from getting into the bed (some type of water proof sheet/cover and not just a cotton mattress pad). In addition, if you sleep alone, sleeping all over the bed can help you condition the entire sleeping area reducing what some call a dip (which is in reality the only section that has been used). If you still see dipping after doing those two things, it may be a coil issue.

Stay away from excessive layers of foam, but do have enough to allow pressure relief on your hips and shoulders, especially since you are dealing with RA and OA. If you would like more info  on how to shop I posted about a week ago entitled "Common Sense Shopping..." or message me.

Good Luck and Sleep Well "DormireBene"!

Recent Posts