What breaks down in a Tempur-Pedic mattress?
May 11, 2010 1:08 PM
Ouch
From what I can tell after researching forums and reviews of TP matts, they seem to have a major failure at approx 4 1/2 years. The just go "soft", and stop giving the amazing support that most owners rave about during the first 4 years. I even found a blog, which was linked in one of the threads here, that talks about one solution to revitalize your TP when that happens. http://fixyourtempurpedic.blogspot.com/

But, I was wondering what component of their mattresses are the main culprit of this sudden failure. Which layer, or layers, is/are actually breaking down? Is it the upper Tempur layers, mid support layers, or base layer? Since, I am assuming, the base layer is standard PU-type foam, I wonder if that is the main culprit? I also wonder if different models suffer from different failure rates, due to different composition? Does anybody know?

I am returning my recently-purchased Vera Wang latex bed, and have chosen the TP Bellafina as a replacement. (My retailer was kind enough to offer the TP at an even greater discount than he usually gives to compensate for Serta's factory error.) The Bellafina has a Latex layer in the middle, over a single slab of their airflow base, vs the usual two slabs of base foam. So, this not only gives the bed a much faster restore time (the Gary-shaped indentation dissipates quickly), I am hoping it may give it a little more longevity, if it is indeed the base layers that are the cause of these 4-year failures.

But, even if it does fail at the 4.5-year mark, I'm perfectly willing to replace whatever layer has crapped out. Based on that website above, it seems simple enough to remove a layer and replace it.

If you're wondering why TP doesn't replace these types of failures under warranty, they specifically state that softening isn't covered. They only cover indentations over 3/4", plus splits and cracks. 

BTW, I'm really looking forward to the TP (we love the Ergo adjustable base we already have that we purchased to use under the Vera Wang matts), and will post my first impressions when it arrives, and a full review after having slept on it for a while. It felt great in the store. But, you guys sure know how little that often means in the real world.

Re: What breaks down in a Tempur-Pedic mattress?
Reply #1 May 11, 2010 3:27 PM
Hi Gary,

Sorry the Vera Wang didn't work out. I'm looking forward to reading about your experience with the Bellafina. Our retailer didn't have it on the floor so I've never "tested" that model TP.  What retailer did you end up going through?

Best to you,

Natalie

Reply #2 May 11, 2010 3:30 PM
I know several friends and family members who have had their tempurpedic sets for 10 or more years with no breakdown whatsoever.  One has had there's for 15 years.  The only thing that broke down was the cover (Which they got a replacement for).  They say it has softned a bit where they lay, but that it's the most comfortable part of the mattress.  I have had mine for a year now, and it's the only mattress that seems to get better with time.  I also have the ergo base.  It's an amazing bed.  I've done springs, latex, water, and now tempur.  Air beds are not an option as I don't believe they provide good support (my opinion).  It was rough getting used to it at first, but after 30 days I got used to it.
Reply #3 May 11, 2010 4:29 PM
Good_Sleep wrote:

I know several friends and family members who have had their tempurpedic sets for 10 or more years with no breakdown whatsoever.  One has had there's for 15 years.  The only thing that broke down was the cover (Which they got a replacement for).  They say it has softned a bit where they lay, but that it's the most comfortable part of the mattress.  I have had mine for a year now, and it's the only mattress that seems to get better with time.  I also have the ergo base.  It's an amazing bed.  I've done springs, latex, water, and now tempur.  Air beds are not an option as I don't believe they provide good support (my opinion).  It was rough getting used to it at first, but after 30 days I got used to it.

what TP model you got? Thanks

Reply #4 May 11, 2010 5:02 PM
Ouch
Natalia wrote:

Hi Gary,

Sorry the Vera Wang didn't work out. I'm looking forward to reading about your experience with the Bellafina. Our retailer didn't have it on the floor so I've never "tested" that model TP.  What retailer did you end up going through?

Best to you,

Natalie

Are you in Northern California? I don't remember.

Reply #5 May 11, 2010 10:02 PM
garypen wrote:

Are you in Northern California? I don't remember.

Yes, I am :-)

Reply #6 May 11, 2010 11:13 PM
As far as I'm concerned it's the memory foam or Tempur. foam that breaks down in the Tempur. mattress. And for me it breaks down too much after just a week or so.

My Tempur. pillow crapped out after one year.

Reply #7 May 11, 2010 11:17 PM
Ouch
Natalia wrote:

Yes, I am :-)

PM sent.

Reply #8 May 12, 2010 5:42 PM
firstposter wrote:

what TP model you got? Thanks

I have the Allura model.  I have a friend (6'8 close to 300 +lbs)  who has had the deluxe for 6 years now.  He was getting new mattresses every 2 years for awhile.  He then bit the bullet and went to tempur.  Absolutely no problems.  You would think if there was gonna be a failure or too much softening, it would be his.

Reply #9 May 12, 2010 6:30 PM
Ouch
Good_Sleep wrote:

I have the Allura model.  I have a friend (6'8 close to 300 +lbs)  who has had the deluxe for 6 years now.  He was getting new mattresses every 2 years for awhile.  He then bit the bullet and went to tempur.  Absolutely no problems.  You would think if there was gonna be a failure or too much softening, it would be his.

Sounds good. I'm really psyched about getting the BellaFina. I did kinda like the Deluxe, as well. And, the Rhapsody was nice, if a little slab-like.

I don't think I tried the Allura. But, I did try the Celebrity, which I didn't like. I didn't care for the Advantage or Classic, either.

Recent Posts