Waterbed opinions - softside vs. hardside
Feb 3, 2011 1:45 PM
Hi, I've been reminiscing about days when I could sleep without pain and my waterbed (old hardsided bladder-style with baffles/fiberfill) keeps coming up in my mind. The only time I've slept as comfortably since then was on a tempurpedic mattress, until canoeing started.

So do any of you still remember yours fondly? I've thought about getting a softsided one for easier entry/exit and linen changing, and to keep my cats from putting holes in the mattress. Has anyone slept on both soft and hardsided, and if so, how do they compare?

Waterbeds - opinions
Reply #4 Sep 18, 2012 9:00 PM
What a relief to finally find a Forum JUST FOR Waterbeds!

ImJay, thank you especially for the detailed descriptions of what you bought (Dreamweaver) and where, and what you added to yours for more comfort.  (I'm leaning towards down instead of laytex unless that doesn't work.)

Question from a waterbed novice:  Do the instructions with the bladder explain "burping" and when to stop filling it with water?  (Too much can make it uncomfortably hard, I gather.)  Any tips on setting one up would be greatly appreciated.

Like so many others, beds as we knew them are no more.  The old fashioned one lasted an amazing 21 years.  Since then the "new" beds (Sealy, S&F) lasted 3 months, 5 weeks, and 10 weeks before the "hammock" hole killed my back and thoroughly warped any circadium rythm. 

Of the laytex offerings (and scores of research hours) I found only one worth considering; however, $2500+ made zero sense for a twin bed.

I was leaning towards the soft-sided waterbed -- until finding this Forum.  Now the "hard-sided" makes more sense, especially knowing the heater can be turned off (except for the few weeks it's needed it in Florida) and the bladder can be covered to keep comfortable in spite of the cold water.

What a relief to have made a decision, and END the research of so much industry hype and so little quality!

LynnClaire

Recent Posts