Want to know what we found in our Sterns and Foster Mattress?
Sep 13, 2011 12:28 AM
5 Yrs ago, my husband and I spent close to $3000 on a Sterns and Foster king size mattress and box spring set. We thought this brand was the "best of the best" WRONG!!!

Within 6 months, we had sagging. My husband and I are not overweight. You could see the "dips' even when the bed was made. We paid the warrenty guy to come out ($99) and was told our dips were only 1 inch deep and to get the mattress replaced they had to be 1 1/2 inches. It got so bad that I have been sleeping either on the couch or in our guest bedroom all summer. The bed in the guest room is a $400 Simmons set I bought 11 yrs ago. No sagging and still very comfortable. 

Afraid to buy another bed and get ripped off again, we did research and bed shopping. We ended up buying a Spa Sensations 12' theratouch Memory Foam mattress from Walmart. The cost was under $500 just for the mattress. We love it.

We  took the Sterns and Foster mattress into the garage and opened it up to see how it was constructed. On the bottom third we found 4 or 5 inch springs and they looked good so that wasn't the problem. The other two thirds of the bed were 8 thin one inch layers of foam. Most of it latex and egg crate foam. The middle layer had a 1 inch layer of memory foam. There was some quilting material on top. NO SUPPORT THERE.... Then we opened up the 2 inch pillow top and found 4 layers of cheap foam and quilting material.

Please don't buy and Sterns and Foster.The warranty is useless and it is so overpriced now that I saw what's inside. I wish I had taken pictures to post.

You might as well just set your money on fire.

This message was modified Sep 13, 2011 by nightowl720
Re: Want to know what we found in our Sterns and Foster Mattress?
Reply #1 Sep 13, 2011 1:25 AM
The funny thing is they use all sorts of pet names for that cheap foam and batting inside - the batting they call 'Hypersoft' and of course it's trade marked.  The foam they call 'Variable Response Technology'. 

They figured out long ago to just 'sell the sizzle, not the steak'.  ... So they spend time enticing customers with fancy names and promise the benefits of what the mattress will do, all the keywords like 'pressure relieving, sleeps cool, spine support .... '. 

Not saying mattress design is easy.  No way to please everyone. 

But I think most people are simply looking for  1) a bed that feels just like the demo model in the store 2) sleeps cool through the night 3) most importantly, has great durability and keeps its great feel for at least 10 years.

Re: Want to know what we found in our Sterns and Foster Mattress?
Reply #2 Sep 13, 2011 2:55 AM
nightowl720 wrote:

You might as well just set your money on fire.

LOL!  I still can't believe I spent $5k upgrading my bedroom ($3k on bed/side table, $2k on mattress).  But I absolutely love my latex mattress.  After reading all the horror stories about spring mattresses, I decided that it's probably more difficult to screw up a mattress of just latex.  If this mattress lasts for 10 years with no sagging or other issues, it will have been good value at $200 per year.

Recent Posts