Tempurpedic Cloud bed on Advanced Ergo base vs. SleepEZ 10000 blended Talalay Latex (long post)
Sep 23, 2011 10:07 AM
This is initial quality and opinions of a Tempurpedic Cloud (regular) on Advanced Ergo adjustable base and / vs. a SleepEZ 10000 blended Talalay all latex mattress on box spring.  I've had the Cloud for two weeks and slept on the SleepEZ for 4 weeks.  I've just set them up in two different rooms and one or the other in on a potential chopping block for return, or I might keep both.  The Tempurpedic gets the prize for most comfortable so far, but the SleepEZ is quite good also. 

I found both of these mattresses are more comfortable than a Stearns and Foster traditional mattress I had for 4 weeks (it had individual coils, was the entry level Sears calls 'Hearthstone'.)

Tempurpedic Cloud -

Pros:

* Very soft and comfortable.  Pressure relief for hips and shoulders is unmatched on any other bed I've ever slept on.  Very inviting feel getting into bed.  Very sturdy and conforming feel being on the mattress and stays that way through the night.  Most comfortable bed I've ever slept on.

* Supportive - Even though this is the entry level Cloud with only a total of 2.8" memory foam, I sink in enough.  It is supportive as in no neck or back problems thus far.  There's no sense that I'm bottoming out onto the core foam beneath, it all seems to be doing its job. I sunk too much into Cloud Luxe and Supreme seemed to be too soft also, so passed on them.  Something to be aware of when shopping  Tempurpedics, cause I believe sinking in to a mattress too much will lead to neck or back aches. Happened to me after couple weeks on iComfort Revolution.

* Sleeps a little warmer than traditional beds, but it's not a hot bed.  I've gone to sleep a number of times with room temp at 80 F (no A/C in house), woke up to 70F.  Although a little warm, it's not too hot.  Under these conditions, need to turn down quilt / sheet for a while, but 80 F is far above the 65 F to 68 F that is recommended as ideal bedroom temperature.

* Advanced adjustable base - Nice for naps and a switch to back sleeping.  Presets make it easy to adjust - push a button and it goes where you want.  I do lean up when the top part is adjustable to let strain off motor / lift legs when bottom adjusting.  Otherwise motors seem work quite a bit harder to adjust.  Only 3 yr warranty on parts, so need them to last.

Cons:

The biggest con to me is the slight odor off the mattress, but it is lessening over time.  If I shut the door and windows, come back in a couple hours, I can smell it a bit.  Doesn't bother me while sleeping and of course hope there are no hidden effects.  Still, it would be fantastic if no odor, or somehow, and 'organic' equivalent of these mattresses.

btw, 2 week old Tempurpedic Comfort pillow is still smelling a bit.  Have to sniff it quite a bit to tell, but it's sort of a nasty little smell. 

* Top sheet and quilt (I tuck it under end) seem to pull out a little bit, but not much.  I would imagine they can't have it too grippy under the mattress because it may need to slide a little bit and not grip the adjustable base.  Understandable.

SleepEZ 10000 blended Talalay latex mattress (3 layers firm / medium / soft bottom to top)

Pros

* Very supportive.  Hips and shoulder don't sink in quite as much as on Cloud bed.  It has a quilted cover with some wool in it.  Also, I've got a quilted waterproof mattress pad which is fairly thin.  Due to that, I don't feel the mattress as much as the Tempurpedic.  Not quite as comforming and not quite as pressure relieving, but still quite good.

* Feels much more like a traditional mattress than a memory foam mattress.  The latex is very springy and resilient.  I would suspect it will maintain its feel for a long time and not sag.

* Not hot to sleep on.  Maybe a little bit cooler than the Cloud.  Never smelled any odor in room from the bed.

* It's a comfortable bed.  Not quite as inviting or overall comfortable as the Cloud.  Maybe it could be if made a little softer with a layer exchange, but I don't think I'll pursue a layer exchange as this is likely going into the 4th bedroom

Cons

* Maybe you can move and carry a twin with two people, but I couldn't see carrying it alone.  It's heavy and floppy.  Pulling layers out is a bit of a chore.  Likely need to keep boxes around house if you're moving.  Packing / rolling layers into boxes is a chore also.   Also, hard to stand mattress on side in case you want to keep clean under the bed for some reason.  Can barely stand twin on side, Queen, probably not doable.

* For me, the latex mattress was not good on the oft recommended slatted wood foundations.  I put it on the matching pine slat wood foundation and immeidately the next day I was looking for a softer topper for the bed. The pressure points increased so much on that slat foundation. Makes me wonder why slat foundations are the standard for all-latex mattresses.  

* I put it on the Tempurpedic adjustable base for 2 nights.  That base has a solid top.  The mattress feel changed radically, as if it couldn't breathe.  Most of the cush was there, but the springiness was mostly gone.  I think it was sleeping a little hotter on solid top base too. 

* So, latex mattress not good for me on slatted foundation, not adjustable solid top base, only good on box spring.  Question is, will Firm latex hold up over years on a wire frame surfaced box spring?

This message was modified Sep 29, 2011 by slpngoc

Recent Posts