Sleeping bag~ memory foam pad~mildew odor~help
Oct 3, 2012 1:53 PM

1 layer  memory foam 2" 

+  1 layer  liquid gel encased in blue rubber-y cover 

1 layer  memory foam 2"

=

a kind of memory foam "sandwich", of sorts..for a sleeping bag.

Impossible  so far  to identify, as there are no tell-tale tags, etc.   This has to weigh 40 lbs.   It rolls up but still extremely bulky and the weight is laughable.  Pad has never been rained on, been in water, etc.  Twas used maybe 7 times, tops to go camping (in a tent, no water present)

Bottom line: It wreaks.   Bad. Mildew.  Yet, there is no sign visually  of mold or mildew. I would like to keep this for use with a sleeping bag but not if the mildew odor can not be remedied.

The fact that it weighs a ton is the likely reason I can't locate anything like it.  Presuming they just don't make these anymore?  I posted a Q re: this invisible mildew odor issue and one answer was

"..I dunno who manufactured it but that's trash"..  Maybe so, but I would still like to determine who manufactured this so I could at least ASK them.  Does this pad sound familiar to anyone?

I mean, who in their right mind would lug this bulky, heavy sleeping bag pad?  However, it would be expensive to replace and if it's salvageable,  I would appreciate any/all advise..anything at all.

This message was modified Oct 3, 2012 by tuesday
Re: Sleeping bag~ memory foam pad~mildew odor~help
Reply #1 Oct 3, 2012 3:04 PM
That pad does not sound like good outdoor gear:

• overweight
  • stinks
  • grows mold/mildew
  • probably holds moisture
  • will never be better than it is now.

It's trash.  Pitch it and get a Thermarest air pad.

GK

Recent Posts