Selling a week old mattress? Serta Vera Wang Latex - Do people actually buy used?
Jul 28, 2010 7:12 PM
Does anybody actually buy a mattress used, even if its just a week old and in pristine condition having had a mattress cover on it since the day of purchase?

I've made a few related posts, but I'm in a slight dilema.  I bought a Vera Wang Latex on clearance for $1,200 (original retail tag was $3,500).  It is simply too soft for me with my bad lower back. Since it was clearance I cannot return or exchange.  However, the company offered me a 67% discount on a brand new mattress.  The one I really liked will ultimately cost me $600, free shipping, and they are willing to do one free exchange should this new one not be right.  AND I get to keep the Vera Wang Latex.  A great offer in and of itself (given the fact that I foolishly bought a clearance mattress with a clear no exchange or return policy).  BUT, I simply cannot afford to be sunk $1,800 into a mattress (or two) right now.

Originally I was looking to recoup $1,000 for the Vera Wang, but at this point since I have a $600 offer for a new mattress I'd go as far as selling the Vera Wang for $600 and more or less getting back to square one.

So given mattress shopping in general, and given my situation with the mattress, should I give up on being able to sell it, or is this a realistic sale to try pursuing?

Re: Selling a week old mattress? Serta Vera Wang Latex - Do people actually buy used?
Reply #1 Jul 28, 2010 8:45 PM
The mattress gods have answered my calls!

My cousin walked in as I was finishing my post.  We had plans to hang, so just after I finished the post I told him that I was trying to figure out if I could sell the mattress I bought.  Low and behold he was just about to get a new mattress, checked mine out, layed on it, and told me he would 100% buy it for the $600 its costing me for the new one.  So now I can get my new mattress, and spend no more than I originally did.  But now I end up with a bed much more suited for my needs, and can still get one free exchange if I need to.  Phew!  Thanks to those who shared thoughts in my previous posts...but I should be good for now.

Recent Posts