Sealy posturepedic cross creek Queen
Sep 5, 2012 2:42 PM
My girlfriend and I have been shopping for a mattress at Macy's. We liked the Sealy posturepedic cross creek firm queen size and it felt great on our backs. The total cost of the mattress + Box spring + delivery + tax would be $889. Does anyone own this mattress? I have read a lot of reviews about other posturepedic mattresses sinking in the middle within the first months. Will that happen with this particular one? It seems like a decent mattress. We are very nervous about coughing up this cash for something that is going to fail very quick and continue to hurt our backs. I would greately appreciate any advice. We have until September 8th when the Labor Day sales end to make the purchase. 

Our second choice would be the Beautyrest park hall 797

Best,
Travis
Re: Sealy posturepedic cross creek Queen
Reply #1 Sep 5, 2012 5:07 PM
thedarkaxe315 wrote:

My girlfriend and I have been shopping for a mattress at Macy's. We liked the Sealy posturepedic cross creek firm queen size and it felt great on our backs. The total cost of the mattress + Box spring + delivery + tax would be $889. Does anyone own this mattress? I have read a lot of reviews about other posturepedic mattresses sinking in the middle within the first months. Will that happen with this particular one? It seems like a decent mattress. We are very nervous about coughing up this cash for something that is going to fail very quick and continue to hurt our backs. I would greately appreciate any advice. We have until September 8th when the Labor Day sales end to make the purchase. 

Our second choice would be the Beautyrest park hall 797

Best,
Travis

Some thoughts:

• more expensive mattresses are not necessarily better.
  • look for a mattress that sticks to the fundamentals:  solid core/spring support and enough quality cushion material on top to comfort/contour/distribute pressure points.
  • avoid excessive pillowtops that fail/breakdown prematurely; avoid cheap foams that do the same... not sure how you'll determine the later, but minimizing any unnecessary pillowtop is a first step.
  • consider any local longtime hometown mattress makers that seem to still be making decent mattresses for the money.

I was not a fan of the one Simmons Beautyrest mattress I tried.  I did not like the independent spring action... too independent... neighboring springs would keep pushing up full force, creating a step change across the surface of the mattress.  But no telling if this affect is in the next mattress to come along.  Still, I think I would favor the traditional linked innerspring setup.

GK

Recent Posts