Sealy Posturepedic Candle Glow Ti2 Firm Euro Pillowtop 4 months old, deep body depressions, should I do a foam-ectomy?
Mar 19, 2012 10:35 PM

In December 2011 at Sears we bought a Sealy Posturepedic Candle Glow Ti2 Firm Euro Pillowtop, cal king.  After 4 months it has deep depressions (not enough for the warrenty which is 2 inches) and is causing me (a back sleeper) severe lower back pain.   I am past 90 days to return and less than 2" depressions mean no warrenty covergae.  Am considering a foam-ectomy.  Could I cut the top and remove the pillowtop foam?  Could I replace with latex 1" or will I need 2 layers of foam?  I need a firm mattress to sleep.  MArriot hotels always have nice beds, am #$%% off that we bought a dud. 

Re: Sealy Posturepedic Candle Glow Ti2 Firm Euro Pillowtop 4 months old, deep body depressions, should I do a foam-ectomy?
Reply #1 Mar 20, 2012 1:05 PM
Having just researched DIY Latex mattresses and with no mattress surgery experience, here are my thoughts...  Given an existing inner spring mattress, you cannot improve it's core firmness other than by improving a poor box springs under it.  Perhaps you can rework it's top comfort layer to improve surface pressure relief, but this will not stiffen the bed or increase support firmness.  So, if you feel the base core of the bed mattress system is doing it's job of supporting your weight evenly without sag, then a surface foam-ectomy might salvage your investment, i.e. replace the failed pillow top with 2-3" 22-28 ILD soft-medium blended Talalay Latex foam rubber.

Point being... know what you are trying to fix and if it is fixable, base core support/firmness vs. top comfort pressure relief.  And will this king size operation be worth the trouble, expense, uncertainty vs. finding a new sleep system.

This is not meant to be conclusive advice, just some things to consider.

GK

Recent Posts