Sams Club Latex mattress - Experience
Jan 19, 2011 12:07 PM
I am posting this as a separate thread. (thanks Phoenix, hope you come back and read this)

Bought the Sams Club Latex mattress - American Sleep Organic.  It has 1 inch of 18 ILD, 2 Inch of 24 ILD and 6 inch of 28-32 ILD.  The mattress is firm. As you sleep on it it pushes you back and it hurts. I have been sleeping on it for only 1 week now.

(Before I got the mattress I was sleeping on the sofa as a temporary solution, as I returned had my previous bed and had only sofa or floor to sleep on. Sleeping on sofa for almost 3 weeks gave me dark circles under my eyes and eye bags as it was very uncomfortable)

So this Sams Club latex mattress hurt me so much that I began to sleep on the sofa again!  It is that firm.

I have tried sleepin on the latex mattress since last 2 days. And it still feels firm and is pushing firmly back against parts of my body. I am waking up tired  and when I get up in the morning after tossing and turning through night and I look up my face in the mirror I can see my eyes and face look really tired due to lack of sleep.

I did not expect this after shelling out this much money.

After calling the company (that makes this latex mattress) many times and talking to different individuals I have gotten these answers:

1.  What type of latex is in this Latex mattress -

Answers:

Dunlop.

2. Which company do you get this Dunlop Latex from or which company makes this Dunlop Latex:

Here are remarkable answers I got:

One guy tells me this:

The name of the company that makes the latex is "DUNLOP"! 

Other answers:

International latex!

latex International ( 2 times I was told this!)

Then 2 times I was told they don't know who makes the latex that goes into their mattress. Then the reply came back it was latexco.

I called latexco on East coast and they told me the name "Innomax" does not ring a bell.

3.  what is the feel of the mattress -

One guy said it feels soft, others said it feels medium.

So I still have no clear answers as to who makes the Dunlop latex that goes inside the mattress and the sams club web site is misleading as to what inches are each layers of the mattress and does not tell anything about ILDS or type of latex used in the mattress.

The tags on the mattress do not tell what type of latex is used in the mattress. There is no literature that came with the mattress that tells any specific information about the mattress.

very very disappointed.

I don't know what I should do.

Should I shell out more money and buy a topper or return the mattress. I don't know If i could return the mattress now.

This message was modified Jan 19, 2011 by JoeM
Re: Sams Club Latex mattress - Experience
Reply #1 Jan 19, 2011 4:02 PM
I had to add 4" of latex toppers (not dunlop) to get my firm mattress comfortable.  I guess it depends on your financial position but at least it is easier to soften up a mattress than firm it up.  If it was too soft, you would have to start over but now you have a base at least.
Reply #2 Jan 20, 2011 5:40 PM
I learned I can return the mattress.

Now should I do that or add a topper?

A soft Dunlop topper or a Talalay topper?

From where can I get a Dunlop topper?

Is soft Talalay more softer then a soft dunlop topper?

Thanks

Reply #3 Jan 20, 2011 8:00 PM
JoeM wrote:

I learned I can return the mattress.

Now should I do that or add a topper?

A soft Dunlop topper or a Talalay topper?

From where can I get a Dunlop topper?

Is soft Talalay more softer then a soft dunlop topper?

Thanks

Talalay definitely.  I'm not even aware of many using dunlop toppers to soften a mattress feel.  Returning the mattress depends on whether there are alternatives and the thickness of your mattress already.  With a 9 or 10" mattress, you have about 3 or 4 inches to play with.  I would add another inch of soft or super soft talalay latex at a time and see how it feels.  But if you know of alternatives that you'd rather try, you could do that instead.  Only you know how far off you are from being happy with the feel.

Here is a thread about topper suppliers:   http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/latex-toppers/16314-0-1.html

Keep in mind that prices may vary depending on the size of the mattress being topped.  You may want to start with a 18 to 21 ILD topper first to see what that does.  SLAB had one of the widest ranges of toppers that I know about and where I bought one of mine. 

I'm not familiar with this mattress so I can't give you specific advice.

Reply #4 Jan 20, 2011 8:09 PM
Irritating how hard it is to find out what the bargain latex really is! Everybody seems to lie or just not know.

We got very good results softening a latex setup with too much pushback by using a cheap convoluted memory foam topper on top of it. Total thickness is 1-1/2" or so. That little bit of cradling greatly softens things. We used a $30 black friday special topper from Bon Ton, and notice they have a similar <$40 memory foam topper on sale in yesterdays flier.

It's worth trying the cheap options first, since if a cheap MF or PU topper doesn't work you are only out $40 or so, but a piece of really good soft soft talalay is going to cost you $200+ and may not work.

Reply #5 Jan 21, 2011 5:47 PM
hellbed wrote:

Irritating how hard it is to find out what the bargain latex really is! Everybody seems to lie or just not know.

We got very good results softening a latex setup with too much pushback by using a cheap convoluted memory foam topper on top of it. Total thickness is 1-1/2" or so. That little bit of cradling greatly softens things. We used a $30 black friday special topper from Bon Ton, and notice they have a similar <$40 memory foam topper on sale in yesterdays flier.

It's worth trying the cheap options first, since if a cheap MF or PU topper doesn't work you are only out $40 or so, but a piece of really good soft soft talalay is going to cost you $200+ and may not work.

Last night was hell. The mattress pushed so hard against me that I was basically awake all night.

Now I am realizing that the mattress MAY NOT HAVE 1 inch layer of 18 ILD at all but like this:

3 inch layer of 24-28 ILD and

6 Inches of 28-32 ILD.

Why because I had costco latex mattress with 1 inch of 19 ILD and 2 inch of 24 ILd etc and with its soft side up it felt soft

BUT this Sams CLUb mattress is rock hard really rock hard and not even MEDIUM feel at all.

I think this INNOmax is very Unprofessional and just does not care about customers at all.

WRONG specs on the INNOMAX web site and WRON on Sams club one. 

I have been had.

Reply #6 Jan 21, 2011 8:30 PM
I think Sam's club has a 100% satisfaction gurantee, so I am pretty sure you can return it.  That does not help you in the short term though, if you can't get any sleep.  That certainly stinks. 

The mattress might be okay as the support level, but you would probably need to add several inches of softer talalay (think 14-21 ILD or maybe some memory foam as well) to make it work.  Dunlop is firmer than talalay, and many don't like it as the top comfort layer.  

That will add to the cost of course, so not sure if you are better off starting over with something not so firm to start with.

This message was modified Jan 21, 2011 by sandman
Reply #7 Jan 22, 2011 8:51 AM
Return it and start over with another company.

Recent Posts