S&F with 1" talalay - love it
Jul 29, 2010 8:46 AM
I just registered and I am posting this in gratitude to all of you who (unknowingly) helped us make a great mattress decision and to maybe help someone else. 

We were sleeping on a pillowtop mattress that we'd only had four years.  Every morning I would eagerly jump out of bed to escape the aches in my back!  We knew we'd made a mistake getting the pillowtop about one year into that mattress, but we had such a financial commitment to the thing that we suffered three more years.  Stupid.

Just purchased a Stearns & Foster Ultra Firm from the Estate Collection - they're called different things at different stores, as you all know.  At Mattress Warehouse (Cincy) it's called Governor's Park, at Macy's it's Carried Away.  Anyway, in both stores I laid on it a long time, and thought it perfect.  At home, though, another story -  too firm and bordered on uncomfortable, even though my husband and I both noticed our backs no longer hurt in the morning :). 

But we just yesterday added a 1" talalay latex topper (from foambymail) and it is exactly right - we both loved it last night.  Mattress is still very firm, but just that 1" makes a huge difference.  I waffled between ordering the 20 ild and the 32 ild (the only choices from foambymail) and ended up with the 20, figuring if the mattress was already too firm then the 32 might not help much.  It was definitely the right decision.  And I'm happy we got the firmer mattress in the first place - it's easy to add a topper, but can't remove softness (doing "surgery" would not have been for us!).

Also, and just as an fyi, I was a little nervous ordering from foambymail after reading one or two spotty reviews on here, but my experience with them was near perfect.  I had called them twice with information gathering, talking to two different people who were both very helpful.  I ordered online on Monday and we received the topper on Wednesday, which was lightning fast, imo (Michigan to Ohio).  Also, the foam I got looks perfect - off-white or a little cream colored, evenly colored, even holes, fit our king mattress exactly.  Just our experience, but it was an A+ and their price was unbeatable.

Anyway, thanks to all of you who've posted such great info here and I hope my post helps someone else.

Re: S&F with 1" talalay - love it
Reply #30 Aug 5, 2010 4:24 PM
ok  i just ordered a 2" soft latex topper from  foambymail,  i hope i have as good luck  as you did  MJTX2
Reply #31 Aug 5, 2010 7:07 PM
Ouch
I had excellent luck with a FBM 1" soft latex topper. I see no apparent reason why you won't have a similar experience with their 2". (Other than 2" is an awful lot of cushiness, probably too much for me.)
This message was modified Aug 5, 2010 by garypen
Reply #32 Aug 20, 2010 2:07 PM
UPDATE:  got my 2 inch latex topper from foambymail  nice and clean just like MJTX2  said their's was,  i have slept on it for 3 nights now, first night i was feeling a half way better sleep,  now the next 2 nights  it feels like i have been beat up on it,  i got the 20 ild  but it has a kind of firm feel to it,     and one know why iam feeling like this,  i also  got a frame with a middle rail to support the mattress better,  could 2 inch be too much.
Reply #33 Aug 20, 2010 10:07 PM
I ordered a 1" soft talalay king from FBM a week or so ago and a few hours later they called back to say they were all out, and would be for at least several weeks.

Maybe they meant just in the king, but is raises the possiblity that they may have shipped you the wrong density. 

tony wrote:

UPDATE:  got my 2 inch latex topper from foambymail  nice and clean just like MJTX2  said their's was,  i have slept on it for 3 nights now, first night i was feeling a half way better sleep,  now the next 2 nights  it feels like i have been beat up on it,  i got the 20 ild  but it has a kind of firm feel to it,     and one know why iam feeling like this,  i also  got a frame with a middle rail to support the mattress better,  could 2 inch be too much.

Reply #34 Aug 22, 2010 2:53 AM
ooops
This message was modified Aug 22, 2010 by jimsocal
Reply #35 Aug 22, 2010 3:54 AM
tony wrote:

Is that a 20ILD TALALAY? Or Dunlop?

No way a 20ILD Talalay should feel firm. If it does, then I'd say you may have gotten the wrong ILD. Look around carefully for any marking on it that might indicate the ILD, and call them to see if it's possible they shipped you the wrong ILD.

On the other hand, if it's Dunlop, a 20ILD might feel too firm to you.

Reply #36 Aug 22, 2010 10:51 AM
jimsocal wrote:

Is that a 20ILD TALALAY? Or Dunlop?

No way a 20ILD Talalay should feel firm. If it does, then I'd say you may have gotten the wrong ILD. Look around carefully for any marking on it that might indicate the ILD, and call them to see if it's possible they shipped you the wrong ILD.

On the other hand, if it's Dunlop, a 20ILD might feel too firm to you.

ok jim  i will  check  for markings and report back sometime after 3pm today

Reply #37 Aug 22, 2010 11:40 AM
no markings  jim, what is the next move will 1 inch be more softer.
Reply #38 Aug 25, 2010 4:14 PM
tony wrote:

no markings  jim, what is the next move will 1 inch be more softer.

returned my 2 inch latex topper,  iam lost of what to do now.sad

Reply #39 Aug 25, 2010 4:43 PM
tony wrote:

returned my 2 inch latex topper,  iam lost of what to do now.sad

iam going to try 1 inch

Recent Posts