Readily available mattresses with "Reverse Zoning"?
Feb 19, 2012 3:08 AM
I've been out looking at inner spring mattresses and noticed several brands that are using more and/or thicker springs in the middle third of the bed for additional support - essentially they are zoning with springs. Royal-pedic and Sealy Posturepedic both do this. I see the logic in this, as the middle third of the mattress definitely gets the most use. But I wonder if this is the right zoning (in general, and for me)?

I found some sources that say that this zoning scheme is good for side sleepers with wide shoulders and normal hips. Sounds good, I'd say thats me; but my feeling on the Royal-pedic was that my hips were really being pressed up, aka I felt pressure points on my hips. The bed I was on only had 2" of padding on top, its possible that more padding would have reduced the pressure and felt better.

But when I think about it, I think I should probably have the firmest support in the lumbar (belly) region, because thats really where most of my weight is. And, I see that there is something called reverse zoning, which does just that (firmer under lumbar, softer under hips and shoulders). Problem is I cant find any mattresses zoned this way. I saw some posts here saying the Simmons Backguard is zoned this way but I'm not getting any hits on that for google shopping, maybe its discontinued or the name changed? Can anyone point to any? Latex or spring is fine, I just wanna see if reverse zoning feels better to me. 

Any other feedback on this also appreciated.

Steve

Re: Readily available mattresses with "Reverse Zoning"?
Reply #1 Feb 20, 2012 4:35 PM
st3v3k4hn wrote:

I've been out looking at inner spring mattresses and noticed several brands that are using more and/or thicker springs in the middle third of the bed for additional support - essentially they are zoning with springs. Royal-pedic and Sealy Posturepedic both do this. I see the logic in this, as the middle third of the mattress definitely gets the most use. But I wonder if this is the right zoning (in general, and for me)?

I found some sources that say that this zoning scheme is good for side sleepers with wide shoulders and normal hips. Sounds good, I'd say thats me; but my feeling on the Royal-pedic was that my hips were really being pressed up, aka I felt pressure points on my hips. The bed I was on only had 2" of padding on top, its possible that more padding would have reduced the pressure and felt better.

But when I think about it, I think I should probably have the firmest support in the lumbar (belly) region, because thats really where most of my weight is. And, I see that there is something called reverse zoning, which does just that (firmer under lumbar, softer under hips and shoulders). Problem is I cant find any mattresses zoned this way. I saw some posts here saying the Simmons Backguard is zoned this way but I'm not getting any hits on that for google shopping, maybe its discontinued or the name changed? Can anyone point to any? Latex or spring is fine, I just wanna see if reverse zoning feels better to me. 

Any other feedback on this also appreciated.

Steve

It is tricky because the hip area is the heaviest, but may also need to sink in further than other parts of the body (depending on body type and sleeping style).   So, it is never been clear to me if firmer in the hip area would help or hurt.   I have found that I like it softer under the shoulders (side sleeper), and it is okay for me if everything else is the same firmness.   So, I put a bit softer zone under the shoulders, but not sure if it makes a huge difference since I now have 3" of other foam over that.

The Flobeds vzone is firmer in the lumbar than under the hips or shoulders (of course it can be configured any way you want it).   I have only seem this kind of detailed zoning in latex, not in the actual coils.  I think they also have adjustble foundations tath would work with latex (not sure with an innerspring), or possibly putting something under the mattress in the lumbar region to push that area up a bit. 

This message was modified Feb 20, 2012 by sandman
Reply #2 Feb 20, 2012 5:20 PM
st3v3k4hn wrote:

I've been out looking at inner spring mattresses and noticed several brands that are using more and/or thicker springs in the middle third of the bed for additional support - essentially they are zoning with springs. Royal-pedic and Sealy Posturepedic both do this.

Which Sealys have zoned springs? I haven't seen any. (As far as I can tell, their "CoreSupport" thing is just foam, not different springs.)

I see the logic in this, as the middle third of the mattress definitely gets the most use. But I wonder if this is the right zoning (in general, and for me)?

Maybe you could try to get the effect with some cheap PU foam, to see if it helps, before trying it with more expensive stuff (latex, whole new mattress). Won't be exactly the same feel, but it might give you an idea.

Reply #3 Feb 20, 2012 9:16 PM
Catherine wrote:

Which Sealys have zoned springs? I haven't seen any. (As far as I can tell, their "CoreSupport" thing is just foam, not different springs.)

Maybe you could try to get the effect with some cheap PU foam, to see if it helps, before trying it with more expensive stuff (latex, whole new mattress). Won't be exactly the same feel, but it might give you an idea.

You're right about Sealy, I misread their info online. I was at Macy's today and tried their DSI springs (because I saw you liked them). The sales person corrected me about the coresupport thing then. By the way, I really didn't like the sealys, they just felt cheap and were not comfy to me. I actually liked the simmons beautyrest black the best of what I tried today. They have one called Ava at Macy's (Carmen and other names elsewhere) which seemed to be the top of their line. It had at least some latex but it also had more poly foam than would last I think (couldn't get exact specs).

Re home zoning, I have tried using cardboard and towels to stiffen certain parts of the bed, but it always feels uneven to me, so I can never really sleep that way. So still unsure...

Steve

Recent Posts