Is this statement true about memory foam topper thickness?
Aug 16, 2014 8:13 PM
Would you say this is true? (See below) I'm mostly a side sleeper and sometimes a back sleeper. I wasn't planning on buying a 4" topper, though. In fact, I was thinking more like 2". But, I can go with 3" if that will make my shoulders and hips feel better. I just don't want to sink TOO much. Any suggestions?

Choosing the correct thickness for your body is vitally important to getting a good nights rest with a Memory Foam mattress topper.

If you are a stomach sleeper it is recommended that you get a 2 inch thick topper.

If you are a back sleeper it is recommended that you get a 3 inch thick topper.

If you are a side sleeper it is recommended that you get a 4 inch thick topper.

The thicker the topper you choose the softer the sleep surface will be because with a memory foam topper regardless of what density you choose the thickness will determine how soft the topper will be.
Re
Reply #5 Sep 25, 2014 11:33 AM
BeddyBye.  You seem to be on the edge of two ways to go here.  A simple answer to one of your questions is that I don't believe that a 3" would sleep any warmer than a 2".  Your desire to investigate the 4lb/3 inch is interesting.  You would be trading softness for depth.  A 3" will give your shoulder more room to sink in and the additional lb of density might just hold your lower body in position.  Your quesions are good ones.  Please let us know how it goes so we can keep learning.  Mattdud

Quote:

Thanks, Mattdud. While the 2&quot; 3 lbs. feels better than not having the topper at all, there's a part of me that wants to see what 3&quot; feels like, especially in 4 lbs. density. Chris at FoamByMail said the 3&quot; feels particularly good on a very firm surface. He felt because I seem to have a plush-firm mattress and the cushy fiber mattress pad, a 2&quot; just might suffice. He said too much could compromise support. It's definitely more expensive. About $63 more. Also, my sheets barely fit now. And I know I'd need a step stool to get into bed. Sounds like I'm talking myself out of 3&quot;! On the other hand, I just don't want to short myself on potential comfort. I don't want to have to return it. I hear they're not the easiest to stuff back in the box. <BR>Also, would a 4 lbs. 3&quot; sleep warmer than a 3 lbs. 2&quot; topper? And, would I tend to sink down too much? My husband weighs about 205 and I could stand to lose weight, myself. Does that make a difference in feel?

Re: Re
Reply #6 Oct 3, 2014 12:48 AM
Thanks, Mattdud. I'm going to stick with my 3 lbs. 2" MF topper for now. Pressure points feel better than without it. And since it was on clearance and with coupons, it was basically free. I'm not sure if I'll order a 4 lbs. 2" in King when I'm ready or if I'll try a 4 lbs.3" in XL Twin. I'm thinking because I didnt like the feel of my 2" 3lbs. over 1" soft Talalay latex, I might prefer to stick with 2". I'm just hoping the 4 lbs. will be even more comfy than the 3 lbs. I'll let you know what I end up doing! 

Quote:

BeddyBye.  You seem to be on the edge of two ways to go here.  A simple answer to one of your questions is that I don't believe that a 3" would sleep any warmer than a 2".  Your desire to investigate the 4lb/3 inch is interesting.  You would be trading softness for depth.  A 3" will give your shoulder more room to sink in and the additional lb of density might just hold your lower body in position.  Your quesions are good ones.  Please let us know how it goes so we can keep learning.  Mattdud

Recent Posts