wool topper too warm (?)
Oct 12, 2009 2:00 PM
I gave in and got a new, lambswool topper to combat the heat that i feel from latex, memory foam, whatever is the top layer on the mattress! It feels so nice and cushy, but--and perhaps i am just nuts!--it feels very warm, and i've awakened sweating slightly and hot. Isn't wool supposed to be the great temperature regulator?

Wondering if anyone has felt this...
Re: wool topper too warm (?)
Reply #13 Oct 12, 2009 11:48 PM
electracat wrote:
http://wovenartandbeyond.com/the-denali-downunder-lambswood-sleeper.html

Thanks for the help. I think it's actually warmer *with* the pad than without it...I also think i must be nuts! It's not contained within a cotton cover, but looks like a fleece, probably similar to the one Linda has. Lovely and soft, but not sure it's working for me. We'll see!

Anyone have experience with 'Outlast' material on mattress pads? Supposed to be cooling...though it would probably warm me up! ;)

Thanks for the URL. It looks like a quality mattress cover to me. But you know, I have just never completely bought into the idea that wool can be warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Without any personal experience you can't help but believe that they must be telling the truth, why would they lie? Maybe they stretch the truth a little bit because most of these toppers are usually pretty expensive, I have been told that a lot of them are sold by the dealers at double the price they pay for them. I am talking about the full manufactured suggested retail price here, not the discounted price we so often see.

I normally sleep in my bedroom at between 70 and 76°F. In the winter turning on the furnace to keep the temperature in this range, and in the summertime running the air conditioner to do the same thing. So far by sleeping directly on the FloBeds mattress with only a very thin protective mattress cover and a low count cotton sheet over it, I am having no difficulties. We'll just have to wait and see what the summer brings. FloBeds does have apx. a 3/4 inch thick wool batting in their mattress cover. I have had no sweating problems that I'm aware of..... so far.

In any event, I hope it all works out successfully for you.
This message was modified Oct 13, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #14 Oct 13, 2009 9:28 AM
electracat, I wonder if the topper just has too much wool for you.

I've never slept on a wool topper or pad. I do sometimes wear wool base layers for cross-country skiing. That's obviously not analogous -- unless you thrash around a lot in your sleep and generate heat that way -- but I've found that even a very thin wool layer can be surprisingly warm. I've overheated while wearing thicker layers. Wool does seem to regulate body temps a bit, but there is such a thing as too much wool for a given (external) temperature range.

What you bought does look like a nice comfy pad. I was tempted to try it myself when I saw it on Overstock, but for now, my bed is fine and I've already spent enough $ on it, so I'm holding off.

No experience here with the Outlast material, though I'm curious about that, too.

Hope you find something that works for you.

-Catherine
This message was modified Oct 13, 2009 by Catherine
Reply #15 Oct 13, 2009 9:57 AM
electracat wrote:
http://wovenartandbeyond.com/the-denali-downunder-lambswood-sleeper.html

Thanks for the help. I think it's actually warmer *with* the pad than without it...I also think i must be nuts! It's not contained within a cotton cover, but looks like a fleece, probably similar to the one Linda has. Lovely and soft, but not sure it's working for me. We'll see!

Anyone have experience with 'Outlast' material on mattress pads? Supposed to be cooling...though it would probably warm me up! ;)

I have experience with Outlast in the form Sealy TrueForm beds.

I was impressed with at least that aspect of the mattress if nothing else. The Outlast was fantastic for keeping a moderate temperature. They even make sports clothing out of it.

-Alex

Reply #16 Oct 13, 2009 4:41 PM
Thanks, everyone. I just ordered an Outlast mattress pad from Costco, to try it, and i figure i can get a full refund if it doesn't work. And THEN i am done spending money on the mattress!! ;)

Will report after i try it, and after i sleep on the wool a few more times. Thanks so much for your helpful comments!
Reply #17 Oct 13, 2009 4:44 PM
Let us know what you think of the Outlast mattress pad. I saw that on Costco recently and was thinking of getting it as well.
Reply #18 Oct 13, 2009 11:21 PM
Yeah please let us know. I'm probably going to end up buying whatever you determine *actually* makes you cooler. There are too many things that claim to do this and don't deliver. I'm sorry to hear the wool didn't work out -- that stuff is too expensive to not deliver on its promise!
Reply #19 Oct 23, 2009 11:38 PM
electrocat,

any updates on the purchase from costco?  im contemplating on purchasing the same set of sheets.

tuan

Recent Posts