we found a great mattress - but we hate it
Aug 30, 2011 12:26 AM
A year ago we bought a Flobeds zoned latex mattress (king).   My side is the zoned layer over firm over extra firm, my husband's side is a combination of extra firm and superfirm (not zoned).  After playing around with it for quite some time I finally got the zones and layers right, and for the first time in 30 years I wake up without pain.  Which is a dream come true.

But we both hate the way it feels.  Both of us prefer a firm feeling mattress, and the egg crate layer on top is so mushy it feels like a pillowtop.  Flobeds doesn't offer any alternative for the "comfort" layer (we call it the discomfort layer).  At one point we removed it entirely; my husband liked the resulting mattress better but I can't sleep directly on the support layers.  

My husband is so miserable about this mattress he wants another bed.  I'm out of pain - I can't walk away from that.  But I don't find the bed comfortable either - in fact I find it so difficult to fall asleep that sometimes I prefer to start off on the floor, and move to the bed later. Latex mattresses in stores usually feel wonderful to both of us.  We're convinced the problem is the mushy egg crate foam.  We just want a nice, firm, smooth surface to lie down on and not sink into.

What are our options?  How can we find a "comfort layer" that feels firm when we lie down on it, yet still allows the support layers to do their job?  We don't use a mattress pad (since the darn thing is already way too gushy.)

This message was modified Aug 30, 2011 by lnkholder
Re: we found a great mattress - but we hate it
Reply #10 Aug 31, 2011 10:55 AM
lnkholder wrote:

Flobeds didn't have anything else of the right thickness, at least not as of last year when we bought it.  The bed is better for my husband without the topper, but too firm for me.  And the topper is the only layer that joins the two halves of the king bed.  What happens if we use a different topper on each side?

Right now I have a medium zone under my shoulders, topped by the eggcrate foam.  When I had a firm piece in that position my arms fell asleep.  If I switch to a 28 ILD, should I also put a softer piece under my shoulders to compensate for the increased firmness of the top layer?

Yes, I would put softer under the shoulders if you have a firmer topper on top.  At least try it, that is what the flexibilty of the vzone is all about. 

If you use different toppers, then the seam down the middle might be more noticable.  Not sure if that would bother you or not. You can get a sense of what it would be like when you are not using the eggcrate.  It would be nicer to have one piece, but the problem may be making both of you happy with it.  Of course you can try to adjust the lower support levels to compensate.

As Lynn is suggesting, you may want to start with adding just 1".  You can then try folding that in half to see what adding another inch will be like (obviously you can only do that on 1 half at a time). 

Trying a wool topper is also a good idea.  You might be surprised that adding a wool topper or a mattress pad can actually make it feel slightly firmer, especially if it fits tightly.  So, you might want to try putting on a mattress pad if you haven't already.  

Most of us have found that a lot of trial and error is required to get the right combination.

This message was modified Aug 31, 2011 by sandman

Recent Posts