talalay latex versus dunlop latex versus tempurpedic foam
Oct 21, 2011 2:58 PM
I have a few questions.

1  Is tempurpedic more supportive and relieves pressure more then any latex whether dunlop or talalay?

2  Which tempurpedic would be suitable for me.

My body statistics are:

A.  I sleep on my side, I weigh 205 pounds, I have an injured disk on my low back. I am also about 6 feet 2 inches tall.

3. Do they make soft dunlop latex. How soft would it go? From where can I get a very soft top layer, dunlop latex mattress?

4. Currently I have a spring air mattress that is acting weird. I mean it felt different in the store and it feels now that the latex is bumping against my body.  I mean like latex pushing against my body and it does not feel good.

The seller said there is an BREAK IN  PERIOD WITH THE LATEX MATTRESS. Does a latex mattress has a BREAK IN TIME?

Actually it is 6 inches of latex on 8 inches of SOY FOAM. I don't even know what soyfoam is honestly. The salesman said it is made from soy. I kind of have a feeling that salesman was lying.

Many questions but hopefully some kind helpful soul will answer me.

This message was modified Oct 21, 2011 by Joed
Re: talalay latex versus dunlop latex versus tempurpedic foam
Reply #3 Oct 22, 2011 3:08 AM
Joed wrote:

I have a few questions.

1  Is tempurpedic more supportive and relieves pressure more then any latex whether dunlop or talalay?

My body statistics are:

A.  I sleep on my side, I weigh 205 pounds, I have an injured disk on my low back. I am also about 6 feet 2 inches tall.

3. Do they make soft dunlop latex. How soft would it go? From where can I get a very soft top layer, dunlop latex mattress?

4. Currently I have a spring air mattress that is acting weird. I mean it felt different in the store and it feels now that the latex is bumping against my body.  I mean like latex pushing against my body and it does not feel good.

The seller said there is an BREAK IN  PERIOD WITH THE LATEX MATTRESS. Does a latex mattress has a BREAK IN TIME?

Actually it is 6 inches of latex on 8 inches of SOY FOAM. I don't even know what soyfoam is honestly. The salesman said it is made from soy. I kind of have a feeling that salesman was lying.

I have a Tempurpedic Cloud (regular) going on 6 weeks old tomorrow.  I'm 6'2" and 190 lbs. with a tender right shoulder due to injury years ago and arthro surgery on it, twice.  I can pull off laying on right shoulder a fair amount on Cloud bed.  Standard innersprings feel MUCH worse to lay on.  Best mattress and foundation I've ever had.  The only downside is there is a slight odor that lasts for weeks.  Only noticeable sometimes when first entering room.  After that, don't notice it.

Only time will tell how the Cloud's ES foam at top holds up.  It seems to have stabilized early on and the feel is consistent.  Tempurpedic quality seems quite high and I've seen that in a 4 year old Symphony pillow I used for ... 4 years.

It is the best blend of support and comfort / pressure relief of any mattress I've slept on.  It's on a TP fixed foundation which is super solid and heavy duty.

When new, the foam feels a little firmer, but it softens up in a couple days.   Every type of foam I've tried breaks in and softens up early on, then stabilizes.

I had a 3 layer latex bed from out of state.  It didn't work for me.  It was ok on a box spring, but really got bad on the matching pine slat foundation, at least for my shoulders and hips.  I returned it.

It might try latex another day when I feel like experimenting, but honestly, latex is an afterthought in most major stores everywhere here - Sleep Train, Mancinis, etc .... they all only have one line of latex beds like Vera Wang or Englander.    There are far more Tempurpedics in major stores and of course innersprings are still most common.

This message was modified Oct 22, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #4 Oct 29, 2011 1:29 PM
Joed wrote:

I have a few questions.

My body statistics are:

Spring Air ?

First of all, Spring Air is a half dead company, at least around here.  You will not find one singular Spring Air mattress in either Sleep Train or Mancinis.  I have not seen them at Sears, Penneys or Macys.    In other words, they are on the outs and most likely for good reason.

I know the former owner of Spring Air mattress.  He owns a small mattress mfr. about 2 miles from our house and I shopped there.   He sells low cost mattresses where you buy the core and velcro on the 'comfort layer'.   Nice man, older guy, we have two of his innerspirng with medium poly foams on top.  I can't sleep on them. Yuck.

Not saying no one likes their Spring Airs, but sleeplikethedead showed something like 40% satisfaction rating for them.  I wouldn't seek one out.

This message was modified Nov 8, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #5 Dec 17, 2011 5:53 PM
Joed wrote:

I have a few questions.

My body statistics are:

Hey Joed!

I think I read on another post that you are on a tempurpedic now, is that right? Well, here are some other facts to include throughout this post:

• I think that no matter what the material, there is almost always some period of conditioning or break-in period. With the soy-based cores or other polyurethane cores, you will find that the majority of the conditioning is in the core and not the latex, but I still ask my customer to give a new bed (regardelss of style) anywhere from 3-6 weeks (which does depend on the style).
  • Spring Air is no longer the major brand they were... they are now small franchises where people or companies came in a took over a manufacturing plant and are producing stuff under the Spring Air name now... depending on when the one you describe was made (less than 3 years) it is probably a franchise or independent and not using any of Spring Airs original specs or quality (still may be good, but no standard from plant ot plant)
  • Dunlop latex is cut into sheets from a huge block of latex... the topmost layers will always be softer than the ones at the bottom due to how it is processed, but yes, you can definitely get a softer version of dunlop
  • Pressure Point relief is subjective to someone's comfort initially (over time, you may remember something someone else said that you disagreed with then and now understand why they were right!) but it is basically the ability for your back/spine to feel it is in a relaxed and comfortable position while your lower back, hips and shoulders feel cradled... thus giving each part of the bady in contact with the mattress an "even" amount of pressure so that you feel no distinct pressure point
  • I am 260lbs, 5'7" and 42 years old and decided to finally purchase my Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe after 4 years of flirting with which one was my favorite (1st the Rhapsody, then the Allura and now the Cloud Luxe). Based on most response throughout this site, I must be an idiot for choosing the low density in the cover (4.1lbs density) and the high density in the next layer down (7.0lbs density)... but after all of the testing for over 4 years, the pain relief I get in my neck (result of an injury in my -5, -6, and -7 vertebrae in high school) I fully feel that my comfort, support and experience preference is definitely the Cloud Luxe on an adjustable base (which retails for about $5300 complete). I absolutely love it and have had it since June... best pressure point relief I have ever had. Expensive, yes, but I had started saving money since the first time I tried the Rhapsody. I will say that the value lies in how I feel every morning when I get out of bed before my alarm even goes off!
  • HOWEVER... I am not willing to tell someone that this is the perfect bed for them. I personally did not like the feel of most latex beds (I have not tried any of the DIY variations) and the one I did like was a similar set-up to what you described: 6" talalay latex, bamboo cover, no quilting all on 8" soy-based foam core... where the center of the core was the bed alwasy had a slight bow from edge to middle, couldn't necessarily feel it, but could definitely see it. I also slept on a pocketed/wrapped coil system (also on an adjustable base) for those 4 years I was deciding on the Tempur...

You and your back are the best determiners of what is supportive, pressure relieving and comfortable and most of us can tell you why you react the way you do... once you tell us your reactions. We can even tell you what things to avoid based on experience. I do think that those of us who retail mattresses for several years have more stories and experiences when responding so that the responses are not so emotional to a question but experiential.

If yu have not found your favorite bed yet, Happy Hunting! If you have... Congratulations! Sleep Well Joed!

Recent Posts