oh-so-confused... help for new mattress purchase - foam/latex/traditional?
Jan 22, 2012 11:30 PM
Hi all,

I'm a 30-something with occasional lower back pain. I sleep well, alternating between side and back sleeping. I also heavily over-research all purchases over $200 - much to my detriment :)

Currently I have a firm traditional coil S-brand mattress on an Ikea Malm platform bed. I sleep well, although the slats on the Ikea bed suck. Can't stand it. Anyway, both have moved once too often and it's time to retire them.

So, now I am researching a new mattress and was thinking it might be good to try foam / latex to be a bit kinder to my hips when I sleep on the side. Have had a bit more aches there lately. I have been looking at some mattresses and really liked a firm Englander latex mattress I tried at a local store. Of course it was $1500. I'm looking at a 3-5 year time horizon for the bed+mattress since I'll probably be moving at a distance (or upgrading significantly if I commit to the area). Thus I was hoping to get recommendations for something in the $500-$600 range that would be similar to the firm latex I tried. I understand the ridiculous of that question, but I think it's possible since I only want to feel good for a few years - not 10-15. Also, I don't care much whether it's all organic, natural, whatever. As long as it's not toxic to me I'll be fine. I'm just a bit lost in mattress land and hoping to get some pointers for someone on a bit of a budget.

So, I was looking at options like:

• Wal-mart Spa Sensations
  • Costco foam 
  • Ikea latex
  • ~$600ish standard mattress w/o much padding

What would you recommend? I am missing some good options? Particularly in latex I'm having some trouble finding choices. Also, a problem at this price range is that it seems pretty hard to demo something at a Costco or Wal-mart. Any ideas for equivalents?

What I'd really like is for someone to just help me pull the trigger on a mattress (and maybe even a bed) so I can stop researching and reduce the amount of bed-less time in my new apartment. :)

Oh, for the bed, I was going to have a local guy build a bed. If there's foam not quite sure what to do about the slats, but I read here that a piece of cardboard should do the trick. If for some reason I should go buy the Malm or something else again let me know.

Thanks for your help!

Re: oh-so-confused... help for new mattress purchase - foam/latex/traditional?
Reply #4 Feb 2, 2012 10:25 PM
Leland,

What have you decided to do? I just bit the bullet and ordered two 1" pieces of talaylay latex from foambymail to play with, after following this website for about a year... Ha. (So I understand your research pain...)

A 1" layer of "natural, made in Europe, Talaylay" is $93-99. (SleepEZ contends that 100% natural really only means 98% natural, just to be aware.) With free shipping over $75, it seems like the best bang for the buck... and the cheapest available. Plus, I'm just tired of looking at latex bed websites. 

My plan is to fold these two "toppers" in various configurations until I figure out what works for me (How many inches of soft? How many inches of medium?). It's cheaper to order one 6" block than 6x1" blocks, but then you have to contend with a 25% restocking fee PLUS return shipping.

Considerations for customization, if you decide to go this route:

1. Firm it up with a tight/non-stretchy mattress case if it's too soft or bouncy. (Noticed this trick when I took off the case on my latex test-pillow...)

2. Supposedly, the thickness of the block affects the feeling of the latex. 3" of medium in one piece is slightly firmer than 3x1" pieces of medium. If anybody could confirm, that would be awesome.

3. A non-pillowtop mattress under latex layers further changes the feel - possibly makes it softer, difficult to quantify. You can buy a non-pillowtop mattress for a very reasonable price, IF you can find one.

4. Firm it up with a 3/4" plywood sheet instead of slats. (Considerations: ventilation, mold... but I live in a very dry climate, so I'm not too worried.)

5. Buying a case, if you decide for a case, will add $15 (thin unbleached cotton) to $80-120 (stretch terry) to $300+ (wool, quilting, and other crap)

My personal feeling on innerspring: seems to depend on the person, but my feelings are hurt after my much-treasured King Koil, purchased @ $1400 in September 2006, didn't even suirvive three years on the pillowtop, and now at five and a quarter has died completely, sags in the center, and is killing my back, shoulders, hips, neck...  (N.B., my mother's King Koil felt better from day one, is still going strong, and cost half the price. Quality control much? Seems to be a problem in this industry.)

I chopped a hole in my pillowtop, based on the mattress surgeries on this site, because I couldn't believe the photos and was hoping I beat the 'S' companies. Oh, no. Flimsy foam and the evil of evils, eggcrate/convoluted, at that. 

Keep in touch - maybe we can work together on this.

Best,

Amy

Reply #5 Feb 3, 2012 6:32 PM
I have no idea what the Englander mattress is like but I've had good luck with mattresses247 on ebay.  I bought a 9" latex stack (three 3" slabs) for $700-something.  I was looking for a budget option as well.  You can click my username to see my previous posts.  I'm happy with my purchase and have been getting great sleep the past few nights (haven't had it very long.)  I think I might have been a little bit happier with a firmer top layer but I haven't been on it long enough or done the layer swapping to be sure.
Reply #6 Feb 3, 2012 6:52 PM
AMY2008 wrote:

Leland,

What have you decided to do? I just bit the bullet and ordered two 1" pieces of talaylay latex from foambymail to play with, after following this website for about a year... Ha. (So I understand your research pain...)

A 1" layer of "natural, made in Europe, Talaylay" is $93-99. (SleepEZ contends that 100% natural really only means 98% natural, just to be aware.) With free shipping over $75, it seems like the best bang for the buck... and the cheapest available. Plus, I'm just tired of looking at latex bed websites. 

My plan is to fold these two "toppers" in various configurations until I figure out what works for me (How many inches of soft? How many inches of medium?). It's cheaper to order one 6" block than 6x1" blocks, but then you have to contend with a 25% restocking fee PLUS return shipping.

Considerations for customization, if you decide to go this route:

1. Firm it up with a tight/non-stretchy mattress case if it's too soft or bouncy. (Noticed this trick when I took off the case on my latex test-pillow...)

2. Supposedly, the thickness of the block affects the feeling of the latex. 3" of medium in one piece is slightly firmer than 3x1" pieces of medium. If anybody could confirm, that would be awesome.

3. A non-pillowtop mattress under latex layers further changes the feel - possibly makes it softer, difficult to quantify. You can buy a non-pillowtop mattress for a very reasonable price, IF you can find one.

4. Firm it up with a 3/4" plywood sheet instead of slats. (Considerations: ventilation, mold... but I live in a very dry climate, so I'm not too worried.)

5. Buying a case, if you decide for a case, will add $15 (thin unbleached cotton) to $80-120 (stretch terry) to $300+ (wool, quilting, and other crap)

My personal feeling on innerspring: seems to depend on the person, but my feelings are hurt after my much-treasured King Koil, purchased @ $1400 in September 2006, didn't even suirvive three years on the pillowtop, and now at five and a quarter has died completely, sags in the center, and is killing my back, shoulders, hips, neck...  (N.B., my mother's King Koil felt better from day one, is still going strong, and cost half the price. Quality control much? Seems to be a problem in this industry.)

I chopped a hole in my pillowtop, based on the mattress surgeries on this site, because I couldn't believe the photos and was hoping I beat the 'S' companies. Oh, no. Flimsy foam and the evil of evils, eggcrate/convoluted, at that. 

Keep in touch - maybe we can work together on this.

Best,

Amy

So so you are aware the Talay Latex is not 100% natural latex. The $99 1" layer is actaul around 80 to 85% synthetic Latex. It contains 100% natural latex, but is not 100% natural latex. You can assemble a mattress like this a do very well, but onerall you wont save any money versus buying one already made for the same quality level. You can get  a good quality mattress for around $500 to $600 pretty easy.

Reply #7 Feb 3, 2012 7:30 PM
DaveStro wrote:

So so you are aware the Talay Latex is not 100% natural latex. The $99 1" layer is actaul around 80 to 85% synthetic Latex. It contains 100% natural latex, but is not 100% natural latex. You can assemble a mattress like this a do very well, but onerall you wont save any money versus buying one already made for the same quality level. You can get  a good quality mattress for around $500 to $600 pretty easy.

DaveStro,

Thanks for bringing up a good point. To clarify, I am quoting the figures here - http://sleepez.com/latex-mattress-buyers-guide.htm - which are not the figures for the much cheaper FBM. There is a distinction between "blended" Talaylay and "100% natural Talaylay" (which is still not 100%). But his definition aligns with yours on the "blended Talaylay," although he mentions that blended boasts superior performance.

I like the customization approach because I do not like to go visit stores to test it out when I have no intention to buy. Looking around, a latex bed is $2500-4000 locally. I know I can beat that - especially because I don't care about the cover.

That being said, where do you recommend one should look for a good quality mattress in that price range? I am only considering latex, and not finding much in the way of premade, all-layers-Talaylay, for less than twice what I can FBM it for.

Thanks,

Amy

Reply #8 Feb 3, 2012 7:57 PM
AMY2008 wrote:

DaveStro,

Thanks for bringing up a good point. To clarify, I am quoting the figures here - http://sleepez.com/latex-mattress-buyers-guide.htm - which are not the figures for the much cheaper FBM. There is a distinction between "blended" Talaylay and "100% natural Talaylay" (which is still not 100%). But his definition aligns with yours on the "blended Talaylay," although he mentions that blended boasts superior performance.

I like the customization approach because I do not like to go visit stores to test it out when I have no intention to buy. Looking around, a latex bed is $2500-4000 locally. I know I can beat that - especially because I don't care about the cover.

That being said, where do you recommend one should look for a good quality mattress in that price range? I am only considering latex, and not finding much in the way of premade, all-layers-Talaylay, for less than twice what I can FBM it for.

Thanks,

Amy

The blended Talaly is an excellent product and I love it myself.

I was think good quality innerspring in that price range. You wont get a good quality latex in that range. With an inexpensive cover you can find a good latex bed for around $1100 queen. I am not sure what retailers are in your area, but I knwo with just about every mattress retailer especially now you can get 25% off of their sale price. The sale price is typically their regular price and it will be the same everytime you go in. Take your calculator and subtract 25% from their tag price and tell them you will give them that much and if they dont want to give ti to you let them know your going to offer it to the retailer down the street.  Sales people and mattress compaines are very hungry right now so you have a lot of negotiating power. If they dont take it then take that offer tot he next guy, but I will say 95% of the time they will take that offer. they may have to call their supervisor to accept the deal, but they will accept it. :)

It isnt really a bad idea trying to save money building your own with layers, but it is a lot of work and still a good chunk of money. With no one to turn to if it doesnt work out right. I personally have not tried so I really cant say for sure how it will work out. It would just make me nervous trying it :)

Reply #9 Feb 5, 2012 12:05 PM
Thanks for the tips, DaveStro! I will keep that in mind if I end up getting another innerspring... and I will pass the info along, as well.

I agree - it is nerve-wracking. That's why I've decided to start with the 2x1" layers and just fold them to get a feeling. Worst case, if they aren't even suitable as a topper for another bed, I am losing $200. I figured it was the minimum-risk approach to latex, at least from where I am based.

Best,

Amy

Recent Posts