my planned DIY latex - sound ok?
Sep 2, 2009 10:43 PM
We've decided to order:

6" latex base - firm 33-38 ILD from FBM $483.99
2" latex topper - soft - 20ILD from FBM $150.99
terry cover from FBM $20
SnugFleece Elite Queen Mattress Pad 1.5” pile 65oz wool - $258 from dreamsoftbedware.com
(total $912.98)

We have a platform bed (solid wood, not slats) but right now the mattress is on the floor because we cosleep with our 5 month old. Anyone know if having a solid, non-slatted base is a problem?

Anyone have any changes or other recommendations to give to our planned mattress? We used a lot of information from other people's posts to decide on this combo, but we're always open to suggestions! We've toyed with only using a 1" topper of soft latex and thought of using the snugfleece deluxe instead as it's cheaper ($161). Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

I appreciate all of the information everyone on this forum has provided to me! I'm so glad I didn't plunk down another $1300 on a pillowtop from a big S!
Re: my planned DIY latex - sound ok?
Reply #1 Sep 3, 2009 12:09 PM
Some folks say that a slatted base should be used to allow the latex to breathe.  I've had my latex mattress for about six months and it's on a platform bed with a solid platform and I haven't noticed any moisture problem. Maybe a very humid, tropical location would be different. (I'm in upstate NY.) I have a 6" firm base from FBM, a 3" soft topper from FBM, terry cover and Cuddle Bed mattress cover. The Cuddle Bed has a pillowtop stuffed with polyester that is very soft and squishes down. I don't know if a 1.5 inch wool pad would change the comfort level...  maybe someone else can chime in. Let us know how it works out.
Reply #2 Sep 3, 2009 2:55 PM
I'm so glad you responded and that you haven't had trouble on a solid foundation.

I was wondering if the wool mattress pad would be too thick and change the feel of the latex. The "deluxe" snugfleece is 1" thick, so that's an option, too. The Cosco cuddlebed says it's 2 1/2" thick, but I guess it flattens out so it doesn't change the feel of the latex? Does the cuddlebed offer any sort of wetness protection? That was one reason I was going for the wool topper (and because dust mites don't like wool and I'm trying to minimize allergic reactions).
Reply #3 Sep 3, 2009 4:01 PM
What you are buying, the firm 6" base with the soft 2" topper, would probably be a good fit for 80% of the population and do very well.  This is going to be a med-firm bed with a soft/plush surface.  The SnugFleece is going to add a touch more softness but not much.  I have a similar setup only mine is the medium 6" base, so the whole bed is slightly softer.  I also have the terrycloth cover but to top that we have the Cuddle Bed mattress protector/topper from Costco.  It's only about $50 shipped and I would definately recommend it to you instead of the pricey wool topper (that is unless you have your heart set on the wool, and I could understand that). The Cuddle Bed is about an inch thick and is a very good product for the money and being from Costco, if it doesn't work, they'll take it back.

We have our bed on a mattress foundation that has just a slight bit of breathability (very slight) but I would not worry about putting this directly on a flat surface.  See my setup here. You will get someone responding on here for sure that will tell you that you have to have a slatted fancy foundation and it will not breathe etc, etc, etc.  I do not find that to be the case. I see no sign of any moisture etc underneath my 8" of latex.  I can't imagine how large or hot some body/bodies would have to be to have perspiration/moisture get through 8" of latex but I guess in theory it could happen.  In practice, in a normal temperate climate,  I do not see this being an issue. 

Good luck on this and be sure to take some pictures while you're setting it up and let us know how it does.

Bill

Reply #4 Sep 3, 2009 4:48 PM
The Cosco cuddlebed says it's 2 1/2" thick, but I guess it flattens out so it doesn't change the feel of the latex? Does the cuddlebed offer any sort of wetness protection?

wifecat -- as BillB noted, the Cuddle Bed is about one inch thick. However, it has a thicker border of about 2.5 inches that gives it the pillowtop look. The topper adds some  softness to the latex, but doesn't really change the feel. It does not provide wetness protection, so the wool topper will probably meet your needs in a way that this doesn't. If you don't require protection from wetness, I would also recommend that you give the Cuddle Bed a try.  You can see it on Costco's web site; it's called the Ultimate Cuddle Bed Plus Mattress Topper.

-- Ilene

Reply #5 Sep 3, 2009 7:34 PM
I wish we could go with the Cuddle Bed from costco - such a great price! But we have a 5 month old, so wetness protection is important.

Tonight I went and visited a local dealer of Savvy Rest mattresses. What a fun experience! I thought I might want dunlop instead of talalay, but the dunlop was much firmer than I prefer. For reference, I feel like memory foam has too much give and I don't like feeling like I've sunken into a hole that I have to climb out of just to turn over. The dunlop latex was quite firm and it was interesting to feel that the softest dunlop was still firmer than softest talalay. The dunlop lacked jiggle, and I guess I like a little jiggle (like how scientific I am?). I sank into the talalay a bit, but not near as much as with memory foam.

Billb - the thread where you posted your setup was invaluable in my research. We decided on the firm 6" core rather than the medium since we are a substantially larger couple than you and your wife!

I'm ordering tonight!
Reply #6 Sep 3, 2009 10:58 PM
I know what you mean about the lack of "jiggle" with Dunlop.  I tried out a Natura latex bed with a Dunlop core and Talaly comfort layer and the mattress just felt "dead" to me.
Reply #7 Sep 4, 2009 8:57 PM
Wifecat, <BR><BR>Just a heads up: If you are still interested in that SnugFleece, dreamsoftbedware.com has 30% off purchases of $150 or more thru Monday. (Use code LABORDAY09) <BR><BR>Philip
This message was modified Sep 4, 2009 by Philip
Reply #8 Sep 4, 2009 9:33 PM
Bah! I just ordered it last night and did use a 10% off coupon, but 30% is so much better! I wonder if they'd honor it for me or cancel my original order so I could reorder...hmmm...

Thanks for the heads up!

Recent Posts