mattress surgeons
Dec 1, 2009 7:07 AM
what are the heaviest duty guage, highest quality springs you've found in any conventional mattress you were willing to slice up? 
Re: mattress surgeons
Reply #11 Dec 11, 2009 5:06 PM
sandman wrote:
Jim, I have heard about the problems with the individual coils as well, so I am thinking about Sealy as the starting point.  Their cheapest (queen) have 420 12.75 gauge springs and their expensive ones have 782 14 guage.  I tried both, and the 782 seemed more supportive.  I am a little worried about the 14 gauge, but my understanding is that the way they connect them increases the effective firmness level.  Any thoughts?  I know you bought an Englander, but I am not even sure where they sell those.  I could not tell from their website, but will check again.

Right now I have latex, which does not cause any pain issues for me, but I do find it hot.  I am leaning towards trying an innerspring on the theory that it can disperse the heat better through the largerly air filled spring section.   I also think the mattress cover is important to the heat factor.  Do you know what they put in the better ones to help minimize heat?

As far as a customizable innerspring business, I think it would be interesting.  I assume one would have to partner with a major manufacturer to build the spring component and someone to make the zippered cover.  The various types of foam could probably be bought on a wholesale basis.  I would see it more as a retail store initially, as opposed to over the internet, due to shipping issues.  I guess shipping could eventually be worked out if it catches on. 

Sorry, can't help you with the mattress cover question. I always cut those off and throw them away. I just don't like the feel of the "tufted buttons" type mattress top.
Also I am not much help with the springs. I really don't know springs that well. I went with the Englander based on a good experience I had sleeping on one at a hotel. I think they're good but I can't really say for sure. I think your guess is as good as mine. If that mattress sales guy is around maybe he could answer... forgot his handle at the moment...

Unfortunately I think springs are largely the same as foam: you have to just try them and see if you like them. But that is an expensive proposition, I know. But I really don't have much experience with springs. I did have a Sealy that I did surgery on (got it at CostCo) and it seemed to me the springs wore out after 5 years or so, so I threw it away. My wife is still sleeping on hers and they seem okay for her. Not sure if mine really wore out or not. But that's why I bought the Englander and I like the idea that they are 12.5 guage.

The way I found Englander - and the best price on one - was just by calling around to mattress stores via the yellow pages. "Do you sell Englander?" Yes. "How much for a Twin Malibu Firm?" If one guy asked for more $ than the previous, I allowed him to beat the previous quote.

Recent Posts