mattress build 5yr update
Sep 14, 2015 2:37 PM
Hello all,

I  built this mattress 3/10. Ive gone through a few changes since, but its been interesting.

Original build: 

From bottom to top

4" Lux-HQ foam from: Foam factory

3"blended raw talalay latex : Sleepez.com ("Med"30-32 ILD)

2"blended raw talalay latex : Sleepez.com ("soft" 19-20 ILD)

This felt good for a short time, then felt to hard.

After a  while I added 3" of pure comfort(Nova form) memory foam via costco, and a cuttle bed topping , also from costco

At this time, I rated the bed as acceptable.

Now the really interesting part:

In april 2014 I had partial knee replacement surgery and in the process of recovering, I had a major muscle pull in my back.  Thinking that the situation called for a "firm" surface, I removed the memory foam, thinking I would put the m. foam  back on once my back situation resolved. However, as of this date, my back issue has resolved, the knee has, basically, recovered, and the bed feels perfect, without the foam. Just right. Not to hard anymore.  Go figure. Im not sure how to explain it. Perhaps the latex has softened a bit.

I turned the mattress yesterday(not flipped, turned head to the foot), and taking a good look at it, I noticed that there is absolutely no sagging. 3/16 will complete the 6th year. total expenditure on this bed approx  $750.00 

This message was modified Sep 24, 2015 by Latkat
Re: mattress build 5yr update
Reply #2 Sep 24, 2015 6:33 PM
Give back is a good idea. When I researched for my bed what an adventure that was.  Iam really grateful for the help I found at this cite.  Ive learned so much here.  It was an emancipation of sorts. I was looking to see what type of bed to purchase. I'd  never before entertained the idea of constructing my own bed, or, God forbid, performing surgery on one. Free at last!

In response to your question, yes Im still using the Costco cuddle bed. It compressed a bit, but its part of this mix, and I have no plans to remove it. In total, the bed feels great.  You know, come to think of it, removing the cuddle bed has never even occurred to me. Maybe in the future, but for now I think I'll leave it just as it is.

I also wanted to be clear about the 3" memory foam I took off the bed. There was nothing wrong with.  I just discovered that it was no longer needed.  Perhaps one day I'll figure out what to do with it.

Good luck

This message was modified Sep 24, 2015 by Latkat

Recent Posts