latex mattress for toddler -- what should I be looking for?
May 3, 2012 4:03 PM
Hello all,

I'd love to get some advice about what to look for in a latex mattress for my daughter. She's 2 years old, weighs maybe 25 pounds, and we're ready to transition out of the crib. We have a twin bed slatted bed frame already, so now it's just a question of what to put on top of that. I'm definitely keen on being as green as possible, but I do have a budget (who doesn't?) -- so now that I've recovered from sticker-shock (and after reading some of the more inspirational threads on here) I'm thinking that a more DIY approach is the way to go.

I’m particularly intrigued by this 3” topper on sale at the Arizona Mattress Company: http://www.mattresses.net/3-twin-natural-latex-mattress-pad.html (100% Dunlop, 25 ILD)

I just spoke with someone there and his suggestion was to use the topper by itself on the bed frame, and that I could add a core later as my daughter gets bigger. So I’m just wondering what others think of that idea – is that enough support for a toddler? What have others done? Would love to hear endorsements, concerns, and/or suggestions for other ways to get my daughter on a twin-sized latex sleeping surface.

Thanks in advance. I'm really glad I found this place, as I seem to have fallen down the rabbit hole that is mattress shopping!

Re: latex mattress for toddler -- what should I be looking for?
Reply #5 Jul 24, 2012 10:46 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, looking for a twin mattress for my little one.  I'm considering a Keetsa.

http://shop.keetsa.com/

Their twin is around $470.  They do have a Twin XL on sale for 399, but I need just a twin for the bed we have.  It's not latex but I've read some really good things about their mattresses and how they are very non toxic.  Still not sure what to do (and would rather keep it under 400)

Reply #6 Jul 25, 2012 2:29 AM
Hi there, i am in the same boat as you.  I have two little guys and they are both on 100% natural rubber crib mattresses (i found them both secondhand in perfect shape for 100 bucks each!).. anyways, i am in love with these mattresses and i also want to go latex but i have found a more affordable option that is also very green and affordable.  as far as DIY, i have gone every which way and for a decent mattress the arizona mattress company's all natural bed in the non-zoned 100% dunlop core plus 2 inch topper for $795 is a great price for latex (your kid does NOT need a topper yet).  since i need to buy two mattresses and bunkbeds my budget is a little tighter, i found an awesome futon company that makes double wool hand made futons, family business, twin size double wool (the wool springs back the way springs do and prevents compression - makes for awesome support and a long lasting futon) - $303.00  here's the link: www.smallwondersfutons.com.  the only downside is that they need to use a small amount of borate as a fire retardant.  here in canada you only need wool as a fire retardant, but in the usa you need a doctor's note or something to have a futon made without borate.

i know quite a bit about latex and all i know is for you little one especially because she is only 25 pounds you want as FIRM a mattress as possible.  it is very bad for developing spines to sink in at all.  what you could do which would be awesome is buy her a firm 100% dunlop core from arizona, buy a nice wool mattress pad to go with it then you have some natural fire retardancy.  arizona doesn`t advertize their extra firm core on the site, you just have to talk to him and order the core in over ILD 40.  so that`s going to cost you about $500.  really, that is a deal because the crib mattresses by sleeptek - obasan that i have are $400+ each and those are just that - extra firm dunlop cores.  yes, it would be too firm for you to sleep ALL night with her, but i LOVE lying down on these latex crib mattresses for stories and hanging out and a little bit of sleeping.. they are so luxurious.  then in a few years you can add a 2 inch topper to it and this whole thing is going to last her until she moves out!  i would NOT go with an innerspring mattress, they just aren`t clean enough...

hope this helps! 

Reply #7 Jul 25, 2012 2:37 AM
i just need to reiterate something because i am afraid i skipped over this point - the latex topper is NOT enough support for your toddler, i like your idea about DIY but you have it backwards, get the core now and the topper later.  the latex crib mattress are extra firm latex cores which is the correct firmness for young developing spines all the way through toddlerhood and preschool years.  so yes, if you want the greenest possible option at the best price i would go twin size non-zoned 100% dunlop extra firm core (over ild 40) from arizona mattress, wrap it in a wool blanket and or find an affordable cover but leave room for when you buy a topper in 5 years.  the mattress will last forever.  if you really can`t afford this then i would go futon.  that`s my two cents!
Reply #8 Apr 11, 2013 2:59 PM
Don't buy keetsa, they are made in China, and you don't want your kids sleeping on Chinese mattresses

Recent Posts