help with tempur mattress
Oct 27, 2012 9:05 AM
i brought this mattress last april and im gettin back problem recently. i have tempur senation delux 25, it costed me 3000$+. you can google it for more info. i didnt find this problem in the forum so i im posting it here. the problem is that my hips sink int he mattress but my upper body (shoulders) doesnt sink equally which gives me back pain when i wake up. i really dont know what to do. i also discovered that the upper and lower side of the mattress is harder than the middle. appreciate any help
This message was modified Oct 27, 2012 by alkaiser
Re: help with tempur mattress
Reply #2 Oct 27, 2012 5:00 PM
Hi.. I have been in your exact situation.. these memory foams work for some people and others like us get NO support .. just a sinking from the hips in and then back issues will arise.. My bed put me through Hell.. and back..I spent all that money as well.. and now it sits in my guest room.. I thought I did so much homework prior to settling on my mattress and then in such a short time it became the enemy..  I honestly think that most people need much firmer mattresses than they think they need for back and hip support.  Without that support your body may as well be in a hammock..there should be some alignment in these beds but I have found that the warmer your body temp heats up the memory foam the more you sink into it.. I will tell you I did try many tops for it but all it did was just sink me into it and the mattress below it..  Hell of an expensive mistake is all I can say..
Reply #3 Nov 3, 2012 4:30 PM
hello

the dealer refused to exchange it cause a period of time has passed. so i have to deal with it.

i put a very thin pad in the middle and it helped a bit thanks. but still the upper side of the mattress is firm and it hurts my shoulder when i sleep on my side. im thinking of getting a talalay latex topper but i need advice on which one to get? which brand? 2 or 3 inch ? from amazon.

This message was modified Nov 3, 2012 by alkaizer
Reply #4 Nov 4, 2012 12:50 PM
alkaizer wrote:

hello

the dealer refused to exchange it cause a period of time has passed. so i have to deal with it.

i put a very thin pad in the middle and it helped a bit thanks. but still the upper side of the mattress is firm and it hurts my shoulder when i sleep on my side. im thinking of getting a talalay latex topper but i need advice on which one to get? which brand? 2 or 3 inch ? from amazon.

A 1-2" 19-24 ILD Talalay blended Latex topper will soften the surface and deepen the comfort, but it will not improve the too soft midsection zone where your hips are sagging, causing your back to hurt.  You should decide first if you can live with the current support, before investing in surface comfort.

GK

Reply #5 Nov 4, 2012 2:16 PM
well my back pain is nearly gone, seems that the mid thin topper i put isolated some heat and made it a bit firmer which helped. but now i need to fix the upper side of the mattress for my shoulder and hopefully the mattress will be perfect after the latex topper. but which brand should i go for? does it generate lot of heat?
Reply #7 Nov 6, 2012 4:56 PM
alkaizer wrote:

i found a blended latex topper its 40% natural/ 60% synthetic latex. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40188482/ . its really soft. recommanded? or i should go for 100% talalay natural?

I've offered my best recommendation.  I don't have enough vendor experience to suggest where to buy it.  Latex International makes Talalay Latex in the US.  I have some additional info collected here.

The IKEA topper is 1.5" blended Latex... that's a good start.  I have no idea what firmness it is, but it is probably soft enough, being a topper.  It may not be made like Talalay, but that may not be a problem... Europeans have been doing Latex mattresses for awhile... although the pinholes in Talalay do help push air and heat away.  The case has cotton in it... strong but can hold moisture.  You would probably want to cover it with the mattress pad for more surface ventilation.  Biggest concern with IKEA is how it will fit your bed size... confirm that.  Otherwise, IKEA is a fair vendor but you need to be discriminating with them since some of their stuff is marginally built, and some of their stuff is a pretty good deal.  I would guess that they would not cheap out on a Latex topper since it is substantially one quality ingredient... Latex.

GK

Reply #8 Dec 22, 2012 8:12 AM
alright the core sank because of heat. i need something to isolate the heat any layer can do the job?
Reply #9 Dec 22, 2012 11:57 AM
So the Talalay is probably your best bet to invest in for a topper.. but if that Temp. is softening with body heat and causing a hammock effect/hip pain etc.  crawling out of the cave you sink into.. do not waste your money on the topper.. it will not help...  I think I have had every case you could have with a bed in the last several years and until you get a firm base mattress a topper of any material will not make it firm.. if you have a firm bed you can make it softer with the topper... such a very expensive lesson learned.. Good luck with it..
Reply #10 Dec 24, 2012 4:36 PM
alkaiser wrote:

alright the core sank because of heat. i need something to isolate the heat any layer can do the job?

Any thickness you add will begin to isolate your body heat, which may help keep the memory foam from softening.  But you need to understand the basic foam mattress model and know whether or not you are maintaining it... whether or not you can salvage your mattress by adding to it.

A foam mattress has a comfort layer over a core support layer.  The comfort layer should only be thick and soft enough to contour to your body profile and distribute your weight across the core support layer below.  The comfort layer should just cradle your body.  It's not uncommon for the top of the core suppport layer to be less firm than the remaining core support layer below... a transistion firmness to allow your deepest sinking pressure points to descend into it from the comfort layer above.  Imagine all of this happening, and then decide how your mattress is behaving with respect to this model behavior.

Your mattress spec suggests that it has marginally thick layers... the comfort layer is less than 2"; the next support layer is less than 3"; and the base support layer is not clear.  As I see it, the comfort layer is too shallow, and the transistion support layer is too thick... and I'm going to guess too soft to be a support layer.  The two could be behaving as one comfort layer that is too firm to contour and cradle, and too thick to allow your deepest load points to reach true support below.  Hence, you may be hammocking in too firm and too deep of a comfort layer, made worse by warming foam that softens.

If so, the fix is to increase the thickness of the top comfort layer, and either decrease the thickness and/or increase the firmness of the top core support layer.  You can't easily do the later, so you can add a topper to increase the existing comfort layer depth an inch or so, with the goal being to cradle higher and eek out some support from the middle support layer.  But this is hoping for a lot.

GK

Reply #11 May 11, 2013 4:15 PM
ok guys thats it!! i feel my back is broken because of this mattress. 3000$ is gone!

im getting king koil mattress but there is many options.

they have many layers:

the 1st mattress is combination a of top talalay latex then memory foam in middle then pocket coil ( with other things in  middle).

the 2nd is memory foam in top then talalay latex hen pocket coil. (with other things in middle too).

thanks in advance

This message was modified May 11, 2013 by alkaiser

Recent Posts