flippable inner spring mattress
Apr 7, 2009 3:46 PM
So I think I am going to give up on my SleepEZ mattress. No matter how I configure it and top it, it still feels too soft in some positions and too hard in others. Guess I'm just not an "all-foam" bed guy. So, what I am thinking is, since I have some nice latex layers, I'm gonna buy a firm, durable inner spring mattress and top it with a layer of latex. To increase mattress life I want one that I can flip from time to time. So the question is, can anyone recommend a brand? Firm, good springs, flippable; essentially a foundation layer for the latex. Thanks.

Steve

Re: flippable inner spring mattress / Dux sales event
Reply #2 Apr 8, 2009 2:12 PM
Dux appears to be having a pretty decent sales event now (altho its hard to know for sure since they don't advertise their prices) so now I am looking at Dux beds too. Like a lot of people here I am convinced that a modular approach is best, and don't want gimmicks (tempur foam) or luxury (satin-wrapped unicorn hair ). Dux has 3 models, the top 2 use the "Pascal" system of smaller springs in "cassettes" which can be moved to adjust the firmness of the bed. To me this sounds like a gimmick. So I'm looking at the base model (the 1001) which is essentially just a 10" inner spring mattress with a 2.5" latex topper. The only potential problem with this model is that it uses 2 layers of continuous coil springs, which the Dux people will tell you don't conform nearly as well as the pascal springs. Is this just them upselling or is there really some issue with the way Dux does their "base" set of continous coil springs?

The 1001 in cal king size is currently selling for ~ $4400 (supposedly more than $2k discount). This is still pretty steep compared to buying a firm spring mattress for like $1000 and using my own latex topper(s) (as a reminder, I have 3 layers of talalay latex from SleepEZ that I can use if I do it this way). The advantage for the Dux is that its surely built better than whatever S brand bed I can buy for $1000, and I can know in advance how it will feel (as opposed to buying a mattress and then laying a topper on it and hoping its the right softness). The big disadvantage with Dux is absolutely NO RETURNS. Yikes...

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Steve

Reply #3 Apr 8, 2009 3:48 PM
st3v3k4hn wrote:
Dux appears to be having a pretty decent sales event now (altho its hard to know for sure since they don't advertise their prices) so now I am looking at Dux beds too. Like a lot of people here I am convinced that a modular approach is best, and don't want gimmicks (tempur foam) or luxury (satin-wrapped unicorn hair ). Dux has 3 models, the top 2 use the &quot;Pascal&quot; system of smaller springs in &quot;cassettes&quot; which can be moved to adjust the firmness of the bed. To me this sounds like a gimmick. So I'm looking at the base model (the 1001) which is essentially just a 10&quot; inner spring mattress with a 2.5&quot; latex topper. The only potential problem with this model is that it uses 2 layers of continuous coil springs, which the Dux people will tell you don't conform nearly as well as the pascal springs. Is this just them upselling or is there really some issue with the way Dux does their &quot;base&quot; set of continous coil springs? </p><p>The 1001 in cal king size is currently selling for ~ $4400 (supposedly more than $2k discount). This is still pretty steep compared to buying a firm spring mattress for like $1000 and using my own latex topper(s) (as a reminder, I have 3 layers of talalay latex from SleepEZ that I can use if I do it this way). The advantage for the Dux is that its surely built better than whatever S brand bed I can buy for $1000, and I can know in advance how it will feel (as opposed to buying a mattress and then laying a topper on it and hoping its the right softness). The big disadvantage with Dux is absolutely NO RETURNS. Yikes...</p><p>Thanks in advance for any advice...</p><p>Steve

What didn't you like about the latex bed? Did you try memory foam (gasp I know we both didn't care for the memory foam beds) topper over it? Did you try just regular foam over the latex? Don't know anything about Dux. But I think less layers on top of a spring mattress is the best, I am still trying it out. DId you get Dunlop or Talalay latex?

Do lots more research.
Reply #4 Apr 8, 2009 8:25 PM
Leo3 wrote:
What didn't you like about the latex bed? Did you try memory foam (gasp I know we both didn't care for the memory foam beds) topper over it? Did you try just regular foam over the latex? Don't know anything about Dux. But I think less layers on top of a spring mattress is the best, I am still trying it out. DId you get Dunlop or Talalay latex?

Do lots more research.

I've done tons of research and posted here about my experiences numerous times. Started with medium and firm Dunlop, which Sean recommended due to my weight (240 or so). Found it to be way too firm. Switched to soft and medium talaly. Still having problems with pressure points, especially shoulders (I'm mostly a side sleeper). Have tried every combination of cuddlebed, convoluted foam, memory foam, and wool topper (each 1"). Am currently using 3 layers on top of the latex, which is tolerable but still not comfortable for me. So looking for something that will work better...

Steve

Reply #5 Apr 8, 2009 9:10 PM
Yeah I remember the posts, you also had a memory foam bed right? I was never sure what combination (toppers) did or didn't work. Like how much memory foam or density. Your three layers you are currently using, what is it? Or I guess you have just given up, can't say as I blame you. The cuddlebed didn't work for me either. I found I either sink in too much with various toppers, or have the pressure points.

Good luck in your search.
Re: flippable inner spring mattress
Reply #6 Apr 8, 2009 11:24 PM
Boy Steve...you have really given it the 'ol college try. I don't know what part of the country you are in but I think some of the Dux stores have sleep rooms. Knowing your pressure point sensitivity I would make sure I spent a good deal of time on one. Did you get to see the innards of the Dux? Also, while you are considering luxury brands, why not look at them all? Also, there are 2 women who post on this site who know quite a bit about coils. I would make sure you get to know what, why and how to the various coil systems. One the the women had a small bed mfg in Santa Cruz, CA make her a custom coil mattress to her specs. It seems that you already have all of the layers with the exception of coils, and if I am not mistaken the guy in Santa Cruz can add that element and a zippered case. Is it Kait that posts on coils? Plus, there is another poster. I would search coils on this site and find them.
JoJo
Reply #7 Apr 9, 2009 2:04 PM
JoJo wrote:
Boy Steve...you have really given it the 'ol college try. I don't know what part of the country you are in but I think some of the Dux stores have sleep rooms. Knowing your pressure point sensitivity I would make sure I spent a good deal of time on one. Did you get to see the innards of the Dux? Also, while you are considering luxury brands, why not look at them all? Also, there are 2 women who post on this site who know quite a bit about coils. I would make sure you get to know what, why and how to the various coil systems. One the the women had a small bed mfg in Santa Cruz, CA make her a custom coil mattress to her specs. It seems that you already have all of the layers with the exception of coils, and if I am not mistaken the guy in Santa Cruz can add that element and a zippered case. Is it Kait that posts on coils? Plus, there is another poster. I would search coils on this site and find them.
JoJo

Thanks for the tip about coils, I will search the forum as you suggest.

Regarding Dux sleep rooms, yes I am near Seattle and we have them here, I've already been in once. The thing that made me wary was that the whole time I was laying on the entry level model (1001) they were upselling to the next model.

Also, regarding trying other luxury brands, I did try Hastens, which was nice, but their entry level bed is almost 3x the entry level dux, and didn't really feel that different to me. By the way, that was who I was refering to when I said I wanted to avoid obvious luxury appeals like mattresses stuffed with unicorn hair. Its a joke, people...

Steve

Reply #8 Apr 10, 2009 3:24 PM
Dear Steve;
The price for the DUX bed is INSANE!
Good news....I did a search online, FOUND A BEDMAKER IN SEATTLE, and THEY MAKE EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT!!!!!    Zipper top, flippable, coils depend on your size, comfort level, etc.  Seattle Mattress Company, 6019 15th Ave NW, Seattle 98107.  Phone is 206-632-2240  I just spoke with Corey and I think you'll find what you are looking for.  BTW, their prices are REALLY GOOD!!!!!!!

There are different springs..but basically they are Bonnell coil(the original and most common), the Offset coil(newer, some think it is more supportive, I have one) and the Pocket Coil(individually wrapped coils, all separate, aka Marshall unit).  Look at this site to see what's out there  http://www.beddingcomponents.com/default.htm
Typically what happens in an innerspring bed these days is there is SOOO much foam on top of the coils, that is what you sleep on.  It also breaks down quickly because typically it is PU foam.  PU foam lasts 3 months for me and I'm half of your weight.   So, when people throw out their new or almost new mattresses, it isn't typically from the springs sagging, but the foam crapping out. 

Anyway, I hope you get this before you invest in a DUX bed.  They sound like a real gimmick...playing on people's instincts to throw too much money at a problem to get a solution...and they don't deliver.

Let us know how it goes....
Kait
Reply #9 Apr 10, 2009 10:46 PM
Kait

Thanks for the heads up re Seattle Mattress Co, I will check them out. Altho I havent totally given up on my latex bed yet, I'm still considering adding latex and / or memory foam toppers to replace the cuddlebed and wool that I have now.

Also, re your comment that its the foam on a new mattress that wears out, yes I know thats why I said I was looking for a flippable firm inner spring mattress. I may never flip it but flippable usually means less junk per side...

Steve

This message was modified Apr 11, 2009 by st3v3k4hn

Recent Posts