To cut, or not to cut - Pillowtop-ectomy inquiry
Jun 9, 2012 5:03 PM
First of all, I'd like to thank all the contributors to this site for all of their experience and insight. The assemilateed knowledge that I've obtained through everyone's posts are invalueable. I've read all of the "sticky" matress surgery posts and gleened alot of information about their decisions and why they went with what they did.

My mattress is a Simmons Beautyrest Classic (Gladstone Falls) and it's only 4.5 years old. My wife and I have had back aches that have gotten exponentially worse since the start of this year and sleeping on differnet mattresses and having less/no pain leads us to believe that our matress is the source of these pains. Since my mattress is still relatively young, I'd like to think that I could salvage the "core" of my matress (everything below the foam) without any issue.

I have not sliced open my matress yet to determine the exact composition concerning foam layers, but here's what the tag on the side of it says:
83% Polyurethane foam pad
10% Blended textile fiber batting (60% Rayon & 40% Polyester)
7%  Blended textile fiber batting (80% Rayon & 20% Polyester)

So, from threads that I've read here and elsewhere, I've made two assumptions about my matress:
1. Pillow-tops = bad, mostly due to lack of proper support
2. Polyurethane(PU) Foam = poor quality, due to a short lifespan

With the aforementioned in mind, could it be as easy as making a horizontal incsision and replacing any PU foam layers? Would removing just the "textile fiber batting" be an option to consider?

Does this sound like a good plan to anyone, or am I just talking myself into another DIY project that will end up with my wife and baby on the air mattress and myself in the dog house?

FYI, the mattress is still under it's 10yr warranty and we attempted that route but didn't meet the 1.5" dip requirement. This being the case, voiding the warranty isn't an issue =/

Re: To cut, or not to cut - Pillowtop-ectomy inquiry
Reply #1 Jun 9, 2012 10:17 PM
If your mattress IS a pillowtop, then no doubt your problem is with the "83% polyurethane foam pad." This layer is usually made of very cheap and easily broken down foam, very similar to the PU foam pads sold for about 20$ at Walmart, and probably very thin. This seems to be a problem with ALL PTs, no matter how much you pay for them. Outrageous, really.

It would be very difficult to enforce the warranty, since the foam returns to position when you get out of the bed, so it won't show a 1.5" dip.

If the mattress itself is in good shape under the foam layer - no dips or sagging springs -  then surgery is probably a good option. The pictorial instructions for doing so here are very clear and I'm sure any other questions you have along the way can be answered by the members here who have done this!:)

Re: To cut, or not to cut - Pillowtop-ectomy inquiry
Reply #2 Jun 13, 2012 3:39 PM
Cut it buddy. It is fun cheeky

Make sure you have a Fitted mattress pad ready to conceal the operation. First remove the ticking ( Top fabric ),You'll be

able to see which layer(s) have collapsed!. Remove foam layers one at a time.

Then Test the feel, perhaps for a night or two..Repeat if any further modifications needed.

A quilted mattress pad is normally more ideal. Coils of a Beautyrest will easily go for 15 years or longer.

Good luck

This message was modified Jun 13, 2012 by canuck

Recent Posts