a couple more questions- what is a good coil spring mattress, and assurance regarding topper depth
Feb 29, 2008 9:51 AM
So I still haven't made up my mind on what I want to do.  But I am leaning towards trying to find a so-called 'good' firm coil mattress with minimal padding and purchasing separate toppers.  I have gone through most all the threads, several more than once.  I see some talk here and there about doing this, but there don't seem to be a lot of recommendations on what makes for a 'good' coil spring and who makes it.  Can I have some advice on that topic?

Second, I feel very insecure about the 2-3" topper recommendation.  Even at my healthy, non-obese female weight I feel concerned about that 2-3" is not enough padding.  It seems like a body would just sink through that amount and feel whatever is underneath.  I'm a side sleeper and right now, more than the body depressions we've got going on in our current mattress, the hardness is what is killing me, especially in my hips.  My hip bones protrude and so I really need some cush there.  Maybe some assurance?  Does anyone find they need to go thicker?

thanks, i appreciate your putting up with my journey for comfort.
Re: a couple more questions- what is a good coil spring mattress, and assurance regarding topper depth
Reply #20 Mar 10, 2012 1:26 AM
Hello,

I just purchased a Shifman Rembrandt Queen Size.  I LOVE THE BED!  I prefer separate toppers so that I can create my own comfortable topper.

I prefer the most firm because I am a stomach sleeper, and need to lie on top of the mattress, not sink into it.  The Shifman Rembrandt met every need, is absolutely the most expertly crafted mattress.  It comes with the 8 way hand tied box spring.  I opted to get the low profile, split queen boxspring, because of the narrow stairway in my condo.

I can't praise the Shifman enough, and it SMELLS GREAT!!

Although it is expensive, it is worth every penny.    I purchase my latex at Sleep like a Bear. com.  I also purchased a Wool/bamboo cover for my topper which I LOVE, LOVE. Which you can only find at Sleeplikeabear.com.  Both the latex, and the topper cover are VERY EXPENSIVE, but will last a lifetime, and you will never regret it.

I prefer 3 inches and have actually used a 4 inch, but I only need 3 inches on the Shifman, and I think that you would be able to get away with only two on the Shifman even though it is very firm.  I still like a firm topper, so I got 2 inches of the 40 ILD Talatech Latex foam, and 1 inch of the 36 ILD.  That is perfect for me.  It is strictly a personal choice.  I want cushioning, but not sinking...I also have a fitted mattress pad on the topper cover, that I can wash on a regular basis, as you cannot wash the wool/bamboo topper cover.

A note about the wool bamboo topper cover from Sleep Like a Bear.  It is an excellent cover, and I found that I could actually squeeze another inch in the 3 inch one if I needed to...so you can get a 2 inch cover, and still put in an extra inch if you found you wanted another inch layered in there.

Best thing to do is get a 2 inch latex topper to start with before buying the cover (you will love the cover, trust me) to see how you like the feel of latex. If you want to experiment and keep it cheap, try foambymail.com.  Their latex toppers (get the MEDIUM firmess...not the soft) but it does have a stronger smell to it.  It is about 32 ILD, which I find too soft for me. I got a 2 inch one from them, and tried it for about a year, before I went for the expensive Latex at SleepLikeABear.com...you have more choices of firmess with the expensive latex....foambymail.com only has medium (about 32 ILD) or soft (about 28 ILD).    All latex does have a "smell" just so you are aware of that.  If it is a cover, you can't smell it at all, though, especially the kind from SleepLikeABear.com. 

The heavier you are, the more the latex will give (but it comes right back up) I weigh 120 lbs so I consider a 40 ILD the perfect firmness topped off with the 36 ILD of 1 inch for "firm" cushioning without sinking in.  (By the way, you won't be able to lift more than 2 inches, if you have to remove it from your bed..it is very heavy.  You need to turn and flip a Shifman, so you will have to remove the topper to do that....so consider that before purchasing just 3 inches all in the same topper.   If you want 3 inches, then get 2 inches as a base, and then a 1 inch for just a touch more softer feel. 

What I do which makes the bed easier to strip and make up, is put a fitted sheet on the Shifman mattress (I actually have a second bed skirt on it so I have a double ruffle bedskirt....one on the box spring, and then one on the mattress itself) If you chose the firmer ILD and put a mattress pad on top of THAT, you can put a fitted sheet on it fine as anything, and you don't have to worry about lifting up a heavy mattress to struggle putting on a fitted sheet....and it always fits, since the topper will only be 3 inches thick.

Re: a couple more questions- what is a good coil spring mattress, and assurance regarding topper depth
Reply #21 Mar 10, 2012 8:47 AM
Hi.. seems like most of the people here are making their own mattresses with toppers.. what an industry this is.. unreal at outrageous prices and we are all at their mercy..!!

I have had so many defective mattresses in the last 4 years it just boggles my brain and my body..Sealy had some awful problems with their pillow tops and thus removed them from my home more times than I can count.. then was told never to buy a pillow top.. excellent advice because that is what you are purchasing.. that topper is all, once that breaks down the mattress is shot.. and sooner than later you will get your coffin..  Got rid of that and decided there was NO coil mattress worth a my money anymore especially with the NO flip advantage to at least gain a few more years of wear.. then off to a Sealy Spring Free latex.. it was wonderful in the first year and then it started to push against my body causing much hip/back & neck pain.. didn't realize what was happening at first but it was the material of latex that I now realize was fighting me back..pushing to come up all night as your body lays on it and believe me it has a will of its own.. in year two this monster was a force to be reckoned with.. and then the worst came it bowed all across the middle and was in year two and a rep came and declared it dead....now I am thrown out to the mattress industry to be once again at their mercy to find something that feels good and will hold up for at least a few years for all the money they want from me..  I found that the coil mattresses just felt uncomfortable and just not carressing my body.. so then went to the Tempurpedics.. loved one of them but at 5,000 it was a real drain for me..I still had a credit from the bad springfree, so I knew there was no mattress that would find me even in price with nothing out of pocket..they now direct me to the poor man's memory foam.. the I Comfort from Serta.. I must say the minute I layed on it I was impressed...husband loved it.. so then shelled out another 1500 on top of my credit which now brings the value to 3,000 to get into this bed.  It arrived very firm and no smell and I am approaching 2 months now.. I have had a love / hate relationship with it, husband loves it and I am starting to have some comfort with it.. but is there any one bed out there that is the bomb.. just trial and much error.. I can sympathize with all here that are searching for a good nights sleep with no pain in the morning and hope the industry will start making better beds or fewer choices for less confusion when making a purchase that is so expensive and so hard to know what you have actually bought until you get it home and sleep on it for a few weeks..  good luck out there and Happy Zzzzzzzz's to all...

Recent Posts