Will it ever end? Not until I die.
Mar 29, 2010 1:04 PM
I reported no back pain with my Costco Latex, and I think that the pain I am having isnt related to the bed, it is just a reality I have to live with.

If I were to do the exercise I know would help, probably would not be the major issue it is.

The firmness of my bed is probably helping it not be any worse than it is...I want to win the lottery so I can have 3 bedrooms all with different beds, then maybe I can find the right one   wink

This message was modified Mar 29, 2010 by randys
Re: Will it ever end? Not until I die.
Reply #10 Apr 10, 2010 2:11 AM
jimsocal wrote

TJ, I am in the same boat as you: I need to do more exercise but hate exercising. I like doing fun outdoor activities rather than exercise but I can't seem to find the right fun, finding the people to do it with, etc.. so I am working on finding the right thing to do alone, that will inspire me to exercise. I am, however, beginning to do more, and with summer coming I will work toward developing some good exercise habits.

I'll only caution you, though, not to OVER-do it! A couple years ago after my 2nd-to-last car accident I went through quite a while of no exercise due to my neck and shoulder injury (whiplash). So then I bought a book with a VERY easy (I thought) exercise plan designed for people who want to lose weight and build muscle in just 20 min. or so a day. Well, some of those exercises weren't as gentle as they seemed to be, and I really screwed myself up due to my already screwed-up neck and shoulders. I made my neck and shoulder and back worse and so I had to quit exercising again, and that set me back many more months and worsened my pain (and caused me to put on weight). So just be very aware of any stress on your problem areas and know that it's better to do too little than too much exercise, especially when you haven't done a lot for awhile.

My pain isn't as bad as many other people's, nor is it as bad as it was a year ago and for the few years before that. Now it is quite bearable, in fact it's almost to the level of "discomfort" more than pain, so that's good! Since I re-built my mattress a year ago it has generally been much better, and last night, for example,  I slept a good 8 hours and though I felt a bit stiff and sore when I woke up, I slept very well. Sometimes I do suffer discomfort at night, and wake up after 5-6 hours but in general it seems to be getting better. Maybe (?) I have found a good configuration now, finally.

But I'm always expecting my mattress to change - or me, or whatever it is - and then have to go through re-configuring again. I can't understand why that is, but I just know that is how it has been going. I keep hoping things will "settle" and I can stop messing with my mattress! wink Despite what some here might think, I really don't like changing it all the time, and actually wish I could just leave it alone and forget about it!

Can you give me a link to your adjustable frame? If and when I can afford it, maybe I'll try it.

Good luck with the exercising!

Thank you Jim!  You're right, I am being very cautious...I am only slightly stiff in the legs from the first time!! cheeky  But each day gets worse in the beginning, right?  So, check with me tomorrow! LOL  However, I have only 1 word for you...YOGA!!!  I used to do it years ago, and of course, got lazy but went back to an Iyengar Yoga class today (focuses on spine alignment)...I must say, I almost cried from the spinal discomfort (no I didn't push it, it was a first level class but any stretching is torture to my spine which is not flexible whatsover! ) but when I got out of there...the bulge in the back of my neck actually got smaller (two people confirmed this so no, I am not imagining it!) and I felt much more energetic and stronger.  I can only think that this bulge which has been building up from too many hours at my desk in front of the computer was the result of my discs compressing and that the stretching pulled them apart.  So, I intend to drag my husband, who has 3 herniated discs in his cervical spine in to try it...if it helps him, my case will be made and I will let you know. (And he is a real outdoorsman at heart!)  The thing about therapeutic yoga is that they teach you to adapt the poses to your injuries with tools (i.e. I couldn't reach the floor leaning forward in what is called the "down dog" position, but the instructor gave me a chair to use instead so I did not have to go so far which helped with my spine issues.)

Either way, I would rather do the outdoor thing as well, but it seems as if by the time you figure it all out and get out there, it takes a big time commitment to do on a regular basis which is hard to do if you have to work as well.

Here is a link to the Leggett & Platt adjustable frames http://www.lpadjustablebeds.com/.  I bought mine at Electrosonic in Burbank ..they also have a store in Orange County.  But they are not returnable.  Might be at other stores, not sure.  There are others out there....but these guys make solid frames. FloBeds and SleepEZ buy their adjustable bed frames and "re-package" them.  You can always try them though, they do have LI blended latex mattresses on top of them (simple ones with just two layers and about 8") but it might give you an idea.

P.S. I know FloBeds didn't work for you, but you never tried the VZone, did you? I believe I read that you once said it wasn't around when you tried your mattress...I really do think it's the best thing since sliced bread!  You can switch layers around a lot (i.e. hips and feet, etc.) to customize.  In my case, I have ended up with a custom VZone though...and that is what finally made me happy!

I'll keep you posted!

Reply #11 Apr 10, 2010 2:36 AM
TJ12,

Didn't you say Electropedic, not Electrosonic?

How did you get your Vzone adjusted?  What did Dave do to change it?

Reply #12 Apr 11, 2010 2:11 AM
Leo3 wrote:

TJ12,

Didn't you say Electropedic, not Electrosonic?

How did you get your Vzone adjusted?  What did Dave do to change it?

LOL!  Good catch!!  Yes, I meant Electropedic!!!  Electrosonic is a company I do business with!  I ended up (my choice) making my VZone S/S/F/F/S/S.  I have a firm layer next under that and then an XF bottom layer.  As I've said all along (to myself (!)  and Dave) , I really like a firm mattress with a "soft/plush" top and this configuration has done that for me.  I needed firm under my hips and lumbar for my hip and lower back pain (among much other pain) but needed soft everywhere else (had heel pain too).   I'm really enjoying it now. I  might even try firmer under my hips as I still have pain there but that might not even be fixable.   My husband (behind my back) flipped my convoluted layer upside down (because he tried his that way and liked it!) and I will be interested to see how it differs right side up next time I change my sheets.  I believe the upside down configuration firms up the mattress.

Recent Posts