Will I wake up roasting?
Feb 18, 2013 1:43 AM
I had a memory foam mattress some years ago but had to get rid of it because it would trap too much body heat and I would wake up soaked in my own sweat. So I would like to know if perhaps a natural latex mattress might allow me to get a good night’s sleep without all the heat. 

oslooskar

Re: Will I wake up roasting?
Reply #1 Feb 21, 2013 4:42 PM
oslooskar wrote:

I had a memory foam mattress some years ago but had to get rid of it because it would trap too much body heat and I would wake up soaked in my own sweat. So I would like to know if perhaps a natural latex mattress might allow me to get a good night’s sleep without all the heat. 

oslooskar

Typical natural/blended Latex foam rubber mattress cores have two attributes that aid ventilation... an open-cell material structure that you can easily blow air through, and an edge-to-edge array of process mold pinholes that allow air to move up/down fully through the core.  So as you move about and by natural convection, a Latex foam rubber mattress core naturally breathes/ventilates.  This ventilation is further aided by placing wool between your body and the Latex foam rubber, quilted into either the mattress cover and/or the mattress pad/protector (required, imo); and by placing the mattress on a platform that ventilates freely from below, such as a slatted platform or porous boxsprings (desired, imo).  Given this setup, your body heat and moisture will ventilate very well and you will sleep just fine.  It may even take you a bit longer to warm up the bedding in the winter, if your nighttime room temperature is set down to the low 60sF.

Of course, beware a less than 100% Latex mattress that includes other materials that compromise this ventilation and trap your body heat and moisture.

GK

Re: Will I wake up roasting?
Reply #2 Feb 27, 2013 1:19 AM
Thank you, GKDesigns! I greatly appreciate the information and will more than likely end up getting myself a 100% all latex mattress.

Best Wishes, oslooskar

Recent Posts