Why is mattress industry not held accountable?
Mar 23, 2012 3:34 AM
Why no standards for them?

No federal oversight for them?

useless warranties?

cant compare prices because models names are different in every retailer?

If the federal government thinks sleep is so important then people generally sleep on mattresses but isn't the mattress industry playing consumers?

This message was modified Mar 23, 2012 by markfromdallas
Re: Why is mattress industry not held accountable?
Reply #1 Mar 23, 2012 10:00 AM
Has something to do with the Sherman Act not being enforce since Reaganomics.  Now a few big companies control their respective industries... same banks and stores everywhere, manufacturing shipped over seas, less competition, outrageous cell phone contracts, $800 eyewear, walls of over-priced running shoes and hiking boots that are all the same, mattresses designed to fail, shrinking grocery packaging, can't buy a decent this or that anymore, and on and on.  It's f-r-e-e-d-o-m, ain't it great!

GK

Reply #2 Mar 25, 2012 3:58 AM
posted on internet by someone:

"I worked for a very famous-name mattress company at their Philadelphia site, many years ago. I was shocked to see that the showroom mattresses were built with higher quality and more components than the shipping mattresses. And, the same mattress name and style at one store could be quite a different mattress at another store, even though the tag is identical.

This industry has long been an example of what happens when there is little, if any, control or oversight of most products in our country. What we buy is pretty much of a gamble, nowadays. Mega corporations couldn't care less if they see you as a return customer, or even if your return the item, because that product is less than a raindrop in the ocean of all the diversified industries they own.The changes we need to make in the US are almost unfathomable."

Reply #3 Mar 25, 2012 9:06 PM
I agree there should be some standards set by the Gov't or some sort of Consumer Quality Provisions regarding what is out there for the consumer so you can trust this industry.  They are making millions.. don't you wonder why so many mattress companies and stores can remain in business.   In this day and age for an industry as large as they are to continue to prey on the consumer the way they do is high way robbery.     Have been around the block a few times with mattresses and am so disgusted with the entire buy me gimmick and warranty promises and who has this amt. of foam and latex.. and what will really be for you and how long these will last etc. etc.   I could go on and write a novel here.   I hope someone out there is listening and we can wake up who ever needs to take a stand for our rights as buyers and get some control over the mattress world.
Reply #4 Mar 26, 2012 5:30 PM
I looked around and the only federal requirement the mattress industry has to deal with is laws dealing with flammability. 
Reply #5 Mar 27, 2012 2:02 PM
Right now it's probably just way down on the priorities list to be honest.  Too much more important stuff to worry about.
Reply #6 Apr 3, 2012 5:13 PM
I think one consolation has been that the Internet promotes at least some transparency.  I've just started looking for a new bed and I've found forums like this and reviews on sites to be very helpful. 

Recent Posts