Why are Foam By Mail's (Foam Factory) Prices So Low?
Jun 5, 2012 6:20 PM
Hi - I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on why/how Foam By Mail (a.k.a. Foam Factory) is able to sell their foam mattresses at significantly cheaper prices than other foam-mattress companies.  (I'm speaking of their conventional polyurethane foam in particular.) Are FBM's low prices in any way reflective of the relative quality of their foam?  Are you paying a lower price for a product that is equivalent to foam offered by their competitiors, or is the low price indicative of an inferior foam that will break down more quickly/easily than pricier options?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. :) (My primary motivations for asking this question are health-related.)

Re: Why are Foam By Mail's (Foam Factory) Prices So Low?
Reply #1 Jul 7, 2012 4:26 PM

I, personally, have a latex mattress (2in topper soft and 6in core firm) that I bought from foambymail(dot)com that is certified to be safe by eco-INSTITUT (you can get their letter in pdf emailed to you upon request), I have only had it a week so I cannot recommend it 100% but I did A LOT of research before I bought it. I think they can offer their latex mattresses and toppers cheaper then the rest because they are imperfects. Mine, for example, has a few minor stains on it but FBM has assured me that it is not a return and that they DO NOT resell returned items as new ones. As long as there is not big tears and big stains you are good.  READ ON ......... 

If I was going to buy a memory foam mattress I would buy it from bedinabox(dot)com as they are CertiPUR-US® certified.

If you are going to buy memory foam only buy one that is CertiPUR-US® or Oeko-Tex® certified. Why? because when you buy a CertiPUR-US® memory foam mattress you can know, for example, that it is free of or is below harmful levels of toxic poisons and cancer causing ingredients like:

Low emission (low VOCS)

BPA-free

Phthalates-free

Made without ozone depleters

PBDE-free

Mercury, Lead and heavy metal free

Made without formaldehyde

BHT-free

Protection for you investment:

Whether you get a latex mattress or a memory foam mattress make sure you get a really good mattress protector because latex and memory foam will break down quicker from sweat, urine, dirt, spills etc. Protect-a-bed makes good mattress protectors but they can be pricey for some people so shop around online.

Do a web search on CertiPUR-US®, Oeko-Tex®, & eco-INSTITUT for more information about their certifications.

Considering a spring mattress? Forget it! Almost all of them are made to FAIL. They are one sided so you cannot flip them to get more life out of them. Some say they put some special foam boarder around the bed so you can have more support when you sit on the edge of the bed BUT it is really to give you less springs which makes it less expensive for them to make the bed. If you sit on the edge of you bed too much and/or for to long it will FAIL. Even if they put some latex, High Resiliency foam a.k.a. HR foam, High Density foam a.k.a. HD Foam, or Memory foam a.k.a. visco-elastic polyurethane foam in the bed it is almost ALWAYS buried deep down in the mattress so they can sell you on it and with a higher price. Then they put JUNK polyurethane foam on top of it (that is why people do “mattress surgery” and cut their mattresses open and pull out all the junk foam and replace it with a latex or memory foam topper). Those polyurethane junk foam top layers will start to break down on day 1 and if you can stand it the mattress will only last you 4 years at best even though it has a 10 year warranty. During those 4 years the mattress will (pick your word) dip, crater, canoe, hammock. Your back will hurt and you will have wasted your money.

*Please note that there are some “brand” name mattress companies out there that sell latex and memory foam mattresses that ARE NOT 100% top to bottom end to end latex or memory foam. What they do is put an inch or 2 of latex or memory foam on top of a block/foundation of some “other” type of foam and call it a latex or memory foam mattress. This still may be better then having the latex or memory foam buried in the bed above the springs BUT when the block/foundation of that “other” type of foam under the latex/memory foam collapses you will need a new mattress. The only exception (there maybe others) is bedinabox which states that their, “mattresses use only HR support [base] foam with a rating of 24/32. That means a 2.4 lb density with a 32 IFD.” This appears to be the good quality foam base with high enough specs to work as a base support system to work under their memory foam.

Look for a company that is: Safe, Secure, & Accredited

1. They are Norton and/or McAfee secured to protect your information from hackers (click on their icons to verify their authenticity)

2. They have encrypted buying/purchasing like VeriSign (click on their icon to verify their authenticity)

3. Better Business Bureau Accredited OR some other internet company rating program (NOT ALWAYS A MUST)

If the company you want to buy from does not have at least points 1 and 2 above MOVE on and find another company online!

Recent Posts