Where to buy 3" SuperFirm (44 ILD) as cheap as FoamByMail.com?
Oct 17, 2011 10:18 PM
Hi,

I want to build my own latex bed with these layers, from top to bottom : 

Layer 1 (Topper) :         2" Soft (20 ILD)

Layer 2:                        3" Extra firm (40 ILD)

Layer 3:                        3" Super firm (44 ILD)

Layer 4 (Bottom) :          3" Extra firm (40 ILD)

I weight 247 pounds, so that's why I need the extra firm stuff (so I don't sink and so it will last a long time).

I like FoamByMail.com a lot, but they don't seem to carry Extra firm and Super firm latex... In the 3"... They sell the king medium (32 ILD) 3" for 346$

Is there another store with crazy good prices like FoamByMail.com but with these firmnesses and thickneses please?

Re: Where to buy 3" SuperFirm (44 ILD) as cheap as FoamByMail.com?
Reply #3 Oct 18, 2011 8:29 AM
Thank you SleepLikeADog for your ideas.

SleepLikeADog wrote:

The ILD is 50 so it's plenty firm and life expectancy is 12 to 18 years, about $172 in a 3 inch queen. 

Pretty cheap huh? I might try that.

SleepLikeADog wrote:

I would also suggest that a 6 inch FBM mattress, 36 ILD in the 5.6 lbs density they sell will be plenty firm even for a big boy.  Have you been able to try any latex beds?

I was thinking about that firm 6" mattress from FBM for the support layer. With my weight, will it shorten it's life a lot? And I've never tried any latex bed yet. But I've been told that, with my weight, this is the way to go for longevity of the matress.

This message was modified Oct 18, 2011 by ronaldSmith
Reply #4 Oct 18, 2011 8:32 AM
murmur wrote:

You could try the clearance page on Foamorder.com  http://www.foamorder.com/clearance.html#latex

Thank you murmur for the idea. I've checked on foamorder.com, but it seems there's no King or TwinXL 3" with ILD around 40 or 44. (My bed will be made of two TwinXL; One side for me; One side for my spouse (She'll be on a soft,medium, medium).

Reply #5 Oct 18, 2011 11:08 PM
ronaldSmith wrote:

I was thinking about that firm 6" mattress from FBM for the support layer. With my weight, will it shorten it's life a lot? And I've never tried any latex bed yet. But I've been told that, with my weight, this is the way to go for longevity of the matress.

My experience with the FBM latex has been it's much firmer than I imagined from just reading about it. You're talking about making a long term investment so it would be worth your time to gauge what feels too soft or too firm in a latex mattress as this is always subjective.  Do you have a custom mattress shop nearby where you could try some latex beds?   It's difficult to compare with the store brand latex mattresses because constuction and materials seem to vary so much. The only store near us was an Original Mattress Factory that had a total of 2 latex mattresses to try.  

I don't believe your weight will significantly shorten the lifespan of all the latex layers (maybe you'll replace the top  layer of 20 ILD after 5 - 7 years) but it's critical to get a combination you find comfortable or you'll get rid of it long before it wears out.  I personally think 8 inches of latex is enough when properly configured.

Reply #6 Oct 19, 2011 1:05 PM
SleepLikeADog wrote:

Do you have a custom mattress shop nearby where you could try some latex beds?

Hum... No custom mattress shop around here.

SleepLikeADog wrote:

I don't believe your weight will significantly shorten the lifespan of all the latex layers (maybe you'll replace the top  layer of 20 ILD after 5 - 7 years) but it's critical to get a combination you find comfortable or you'll get rid of it long before it wears out.  I personally think 8 inches of latex is enough when properly configured.

I don't think I could go wrong with 6" of firm as the base and 2" of soft for the topper, right? The base would be tought enough and the topper would provide comfort for my side sleeping.

Reply #7 Oct 19, 2011 10:32 PM
ronaldSmith wrote:

I don't think I could go wrong with 6" of firm as the base and 2" of soft for the topper, right? 

Yes, and I think it will be reasonably firm.  I've got the FBM 2 inch "soft" topper over their 3 inch "medium" topper and a 5 inch poly base and it's borderline too firm.  But everybody on the forum has their own preference, it would be nice if you could try before you buy.

Recent Posts