What is the softest mattress (or topper) available?
Dec 15, 2010 6:51 PM
My wife and I were so pumped to go test out a Tempurpedic memory foam mattress today. I'm a big guy and my wife is like 100lbs. She laid down on it and I was waiting for the 'wow' factor and to my surprise hated it!!!!!!!! The first thing she said was 'it's like laying on a rock!' I tested it out and being a little bigger sunk into a little more but it wasn't like I expected. It was really hard and wasn't for us at all!

We thought we were going to lay down and squish into a cloud, but not the case. 

So my question is.......we are looking for the 'next' best type of mattress that is the softest........

We want to move on from a regular old firm mattress. Is there something that is squishy??? Possibly even a topper or different type of mattress material? I know squat about mattresses, but figured I could get help from a forum. I'd appreciate the feedback...cause I  thought memory foam was gonna be "IT" and it's not........for us anyway.

Re: What is the softest mattress (or topper) available?
Reply #9 May 1, 2011 12:29 AM
I know that a Convoluted 14ILD is available as per Flowbeds---they use a convoluted 28 as a top layer.  I was told that they could get the 14 convoluted as well.  I am still trying to figure out what manufacture does this.
Re: What is the softest mattress (or topper) available?
Reply #10 May 1, 2011 7:51 PM
I think - just my opinion, I have no test results or anything to confirm this - that Tempurpedic tends to be bad for heavier people or people who have sleep "issues" such as bad backs etc. I know their ubiquitous advertising states otherwise...

One thing about Tempurpedic is that it is very changeable by the temperature. Unless you keep your bedroom at a steady temp it's going to be softer or harder depending on if it's hot or cold, respectively. I also hate that they use a lot of formaldehyde in their foam. What can I say? I tried one and hated it. (I weighed about 160 when I tried it a few years ago.)

There are other visco foams out there now that are soy based and have a quicker response time and are not so affected by the temperature of the room. There are some soy based foams that are also 6lb - maybe even 7lb - density which I feel should provide more support, and if they don't have that "sinking into mud" property that Temp. has, they theoretically should be better. I have not tried them.

I saw an Englander the other day that was 37% latex and had some memory foam, soy based PU foam and organic cotton cover in the queen for $1000. I must say I was tempted by it at that price. They were having a half off price at the store I went in.

With the difference in weight and feels between you and your wife, I really think you probably need to go to 2 extra long twins side by side (like a King but with 2 seperate mattresses) or something like a Flobeds where you can each have your own firmness.

Recent Posts