WHY IS MATTRESS BUYING PROCESS SO COMPLICATED FOR MANY PEOPLE?
Aug 31, 2010 10:41 AM
WHY IS MATTRESS BUYING PROCESS SO COMPLIACTED FOR MANY PEOPLE?

Not all people but for many.

I notice that many people after more then 5 mattress exchanges and returns and after "YEARS!" ARE STILL LOOKING FOR A APPROPRIATE MATTRESS!

Why do Mattress companies continue to sell JUNK after JUNK mattresses in USA?

Are we Americans that stupid that we continue to buy JUNK Year after year?

This message was modified Aug 31, 2010 by roy1
Re: WHY IS MATTRESS BUYING PROCESS SO COMPLICATED FOR MANY PEOPLE?
Reply #3 Sep 1, 2010 7:04 AM
roy1 wrote:

WHY IS MATTRESS BUYING PROCESS SO COMPLIACTED FOR MANY PEOPLE?...

Why do Mattress companies continue to sell JUNK after JUNK mattresses in USA?

Are we Americans that stupid that we continue to buy JUNK Year after year?

Complicated?   First of all, the industry makes it d*mned complicated, intentionally.  They pile layers of carp on there, and then make it very difficult for the consumer to decipher exactly what the product is or isn't.   Additionally, I set out to buy a REALLY GOOD mattress and box spring this time, and I found it complicated because the type of durable and well-constructed tradtional innerspring mattress that I want to buy is no longer the typical mass-produced and widely distributed item.    I can't go to any of the 4 stores in my immediate vicinity and buy a suitable mattress and box spring there.   I have Sleepy Hollow mattress store retail chain, and three furniture stores.   In the last town that I lived in, I had Mattress Warehouse out of WV, three major furniture stores, plus Sears, Penney's, Kaufmann's, and some other cheap-o mattress store that I've forgotten the name of.  And they all carried exactly the same junkware.   Retail showrooms do not at this time carry exactly what I am willing to spend money on.  So, the next places to cast my wider net are a 2-hour drive from here, and I just don't have extra time in my day to go there.

Why do they sell junk?   Well, and this is just my opinoin:   Most people that I know are not going to research a mattress / foundation purchase nearly as much as they should.   It might actually be the least researched purchase they will make.  "Feels good?  Buy it and let's get outta here."   They will go to the 4 local stores here, test what's on the floor, maybe weakly try to comparison shop, but really not be able to, or possibly not motivated to put the time and effort into boiling off all of the thick wax coating those salespeople pour out when they are waxing profit-ic about that $2.56 pile of synthetic foam stacked on a cheap and flimsy spring, with a huge price tag attached. 

Why do Americans buy that junk?  Well, there is a mystique, no longer supported by facts or consumer's experiences, that those big brand names that have existed for a few generations now are the absolute best quality that money can buy.  And they cost a lot of money.   Having tried a Restonic and a Sealy Posturepedic, I set out to find a better product.   Fool me once, shame on you, Mattress Makerzz; fool me twice, shame on me.   So now I am really determined to AVOID buying any of those big names, and I will only buy from a smaller company, even IF I have never heard of it before and I have to drive 400 miles and haul the stuff back here myself.   I am now armed with much more knowledge.  And due to being disappointed in the quality and performance of the two name-brans sets I purchased at full retail or better, it's very difficult to pry anymore money out of my wallet.   You are alienating your customers, and making them educate themselves,  Mattress Makerzz.  lol

This message was modified Sep 1, 2010 by TC2334
Re: WHY IS MATTRESS BUYING PROCESS SO COMPLICATED FOR MANY PEOPLE?
Reply #4 Sep 1, 2010 2:18 PM
They don't make mattresses like they used to. They are not as comfortable nor are they made as well. Even a cheap mattress of 15 years ago is better than what is around now in my opinion. Also, aside from the quality issue, mattresses seem to have more toxicity issues now with the new fire laws. Many of them smell bad and offgas terribly. I don't remember having offgassing issues with our older mattresses, and they were also super comfortable from day 1.

Recent Posts