Two more days left to exchange my Simmons Mattress (didn't like it)
Mar 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Some of you may have seen my first thread that explains my story:

So after months and months of researching, going from mattress store to mattress store, I finally made a promise to myself that for my new year's resolution I'd finally pick a new mattress.
I had been sleeping on a old, innerspring, sealy posturpedic hand me down from parents. That mattress is probably twenty yrs old

Never had any serious back issues though but that's probably because I'm still young (27) and workout (lift weights) religiously (5 days a week) and eat healthy foods.

So In my search of mattresses I narrowed down my options to Simmons beautyrest, Sealy posturpedic, and Serta perfect sleeper. My old boss whose a Chiropractor has a Simmons so he recommended that brand for me. I ended up going with the Simmons because of his recommendation and the price was great for a king, pillowtop ($800).

I've had the bed since Jan 3rd and I like the new mattress, but don't love it. I've had numerous nights where I toss and turn all night and can't fall asleep. I've also woken up with low, achey back pain that I've never experienced before. I am a stomach sleeper so I know that's bad for your back but I didn't use to feel this with my old, worn out, hand me down mattress.

I have a little over a week left of my 60 day exchange policy and I'm considering exchanging the mattress for a different one. I just get scared I'll choose another mattress and will not even like it as much as the Simmons and I'll be screwed lol! The other mattress I'm considering (went back into Sleep America where I bought the mattress and layed on more beds) is a Serta. This is supposedly there "higher end" model that has a 20 yr warranty and more supportive foam in the hip areas and what not. I think the label says Serta perfect day "morning sunrise" or something like that.

The sad thing is the serta is around $1600 so I'd have to pay  a lot more to switch to that mattress. It would be worth it though if I can sleep a lot better.

Just needing some opinions please to help with my decision. I'm stuck here :(

...............................................................................................................................................................................................

Ok, so by March 3rd, I have to choose my new mattress to exchange my Simmons with. The recommendation you guys gave me was to buy a firm mattress and put a latex topper on it.

For a king sized mattress around 1,000, I really only have a few choices. A Sealy non pillowtop, a serta perfect sleeper, and a Europa firm bed. I had never heard of Europa but the sales lady says they just don't advertise like the big "S" brands. She said there good beds though (individual pocketed coils, 10 yr warranties).

Which of these would be the smart pick? I'm deciding tomorrow so please help!

Thanks...
Re: Two more days left to exchange my Simmons Mattress (didn't like it)
Reply #30 Mar 6, 2010 12:35 AM
Some info I found online comparing the Luxury and Estate collections.....

The Chestnut St. is S&F's starting model...the "H" grade and in their Luxury Collection. The Luxury Collection models have 825 (queen count), individually pocketed coil with one coil in each pocket. The Governor's Palace is the "P" grade in the Estate Collection. The Estate models have 651 (queen count) individually pocketed coils with a dual coil in each pocket. Besides being their stronger unit, the "P" grade has a layer of latex in it, which the Chestnut St does not have.
Every level in the S&F line is available in a Luxury Plush or Luxury Firm...with or without a pillowtop. The "H" grade lux. plush is 13" the "P" grade is 15.25" thick.
All the S&F models are well made. If you are of average weight, it really only comes down to personal comfort. If you are heavier, the dual coil in the Estate models are more durable. And while there are a higher grades, the "P" grade has the best spec.

This message was modified Mar 6, 2010 by woofman81
Reply #31 Mar 7, 2010 7:35 PM
New mattress in :)

Much firmer compared to the Simmon's obviously. Would it be bad to start with one of those basic egg crate foam pads to soften it up a little?
Reply #32 Mar 8, 2010 12:13 AM
woofman81 wrote:
New mattress in :)

Much firmer compared to the Simmon's obviously. Would it be bad to start with one of those basic egg crate foam pads to soften it up a little?

Been there and done that, I didn't care for the simple eggcrate,  I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond, they don't make those good either, thats in my closet.  Then I got one at Target, it was so bad I took it back, it wouldn't even expand.

Try memory foam or latex, or featherbed (tried that too, it is in my closet).  Featherbed was really nice, but you had to fluff it every single day.

Is it miserable without anything so far? 
Reply #33 Mar 8, 2010 12:31 AM
Leo3 wrote:
Been there and done that, I didn't care for the simple eggcrate,  I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond, they don't make those good either, thats in my closet.  Then I got one at Target, it was so bad I took it back, it wouldn't even expand.

Try memory foam or latex, or featherbed (tried that too, it is in my closet).  Featherbed was really nice, but you had to fluff it every single day.

Is it miserable without anything so far? 

I haven't slept a full night in it yet (got it delivered today) but took a nap on it and I could easily stand it the way it is.

I just thought a cheap topper could make it feel a tad more comfy.
Reply #34 Mar 8, 2010 4:20 AM
Depending on how sensitive you are to mattresses (i.e.; if you need very good support, just the right firmness or not), you might be able to get by with a cheap PU foam topper for a while. They break down very quickly so basically, imho, are not worth even $20-30.

Most memory foam is the same way. If you want memory foam I'd suggest a Sensus piece from Overstock. Used to be the same price for a King as for a Twin, so buy the King and cut it down if your bed is less than king, use the extra for a pillow or seat cushion or whatever. Or get a 1" very soft latex for a topper. But if you don't need it, don't get anything.
Reply #35 Mar 11, 2010 12:15 PM
Sounds like you got a better match for you than you had before.  My daughter sleeps on her stomach and that typically requires a firmer bed than for a side or back sleeper.  Don't bother with toppers unless the bed is really uncomfortable the way it is, and if you do get one, don't get it too thick or you'll be back where you started with the last bed. 

No matter what, you won't typically find a bed that is made anywhere near what your old bed(the 20yo hand me down)was.  They just don't make them like that anymore.  If you did not trade it in with your new bed, I'd be really curious to find out what the inside configuration was.  They did not use as much foam in them as they do now, and used other things for cush. 

I had a friend stay over for a couple of nights this last week from out of town.  I know she has a bad back from different accidents in the past so was highly concerned for her comfort while sleeping.  I had two beds available, one was made for my daughter by our bed guy, it was Bonnell springs, cotton batting, and less than an inch of hd PU foam on top.  This was over a bunkie board, quite firm.  The other mattress has memory foam on the top layer and hurts MY back so it was simply there if this one was too firm.  She slept fine on the firm one.  Also told me that her husband and she have had their bed that they bought new when they married 24 years ago and were thinking of replacing it.  They thought the bed had developed a dip in the middle but found that their foundation's middle leg had slipped sideways, put it all back together correctly, flipped the mattress, and sleeps like new again.  I told her she really dodged a bullet on that one, that mattresses won't be the same anymore.  These days mattresses last a few years at best it seems. 

Kait

Reply #36 Mar 14, 2010 9:55 PM
Just an update everyone, I'm sleeping sooooooooo much better now thanks to my new Stearns and Foster Firm mattress.

So glad I did the exchange!

I haven't needed a topper either, the bed is comfortable enough as is.

Thanks everyone who posted in here for your help :)

Reply #37 Mar 15, 2010 12:00 AM
Glad to hear it and hope it continues for a long time to come.

Recent Posts