Two Strikes And.....................
Nov 29, 2011 11:40 AM
This is REALLY starting to become a major pain in the azz (well actually in the back).

After deciding to try out a memory/visco (whatever) King size mattress, we went with the Sleep Innovation NovaForm Gel from Costco due to the return policy. Had it for a few weeks and it was just about as hard as a rock. Called Sleep Innovations and told them the story and was advised that the Nova Gel is their firmest mattress (nice of Costco to not say that in their description, huh?). The lady stated that their Roma Serra is the softest one. OK, so we order the Roma Serra, wait another 3 weeks until it arrives and set it up.

Well, that was almost 3 weeks ago and instead of getting better, my back pain has moved from the lower back to the middle back, only 10x worse I can't even lie in on my side without extreme pain.  My wife has pretty much the same issue, but slightly better.

So now, I am sitting here with 2 mattresses to return (Costco is 2 hours away and haven't had time to return #1 yet), and have pretty much written off foam mattresses, period.

I am not willing to take the $2500 Tempurpedic chance at all, especially after these two fiascos.

In looking for another Costco mattress online, the ONLY mattress that comes seperate (don't need a box as I had built an extra heav duty platform for the foam ones) is the Sealy Posturpedic Roseshore plush king which uses coils for support and various foams for top layers.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11698954&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|93|1924&N=4018918&Mo=25&No=22&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=67410&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Has anyone had experience with this Sealy mattress or does anyone have any idea as to where we should go from here? Note: Both side sleepers, both avg height and weight. I have had major spine surgery several years ago.

This message was modified Nov 29, 2011 by robertwhite
Re: Two Strikes And.....................
Reply #25 Feb 6, 2012 1:36 PM
Unfortuneatley for my backand neck , laytex and memoryfoam have been the only way to go.   I had  a Englander laytex about 10yrs ago, it lasted 2yrs and got body impressions, Then a Restonic plush laytex which went 5yrs and got body impressions,  now have a firm memory foam generic that I am putting on  a topper and having to change every couple of years.  I went thru about 8 different spring mattresses in a 6 yr period before trying laytex, and yes that was expensive.  So far laytex have been the most comfortable for me, I am a back and side sleeper, the mattress can't be firm as when I sleep on my side a firm mattress shoves my should in and I get neck pains.  I read that to get a firm mattress and add toppers is the way to go and I have to agree.  I'm around the 5 year mark with this firm memory foam and have ordered the 3rd topper for it as the toppers get body impressions.  Toppers are getting more expensive, but they are cheaper than buying a new mattress. I think the mattress itself had only developed a small amount of impression at this time, I do use a water proof mattress cover on the memory foam mattress, and a normal cloth cover over the topper.  The plush Englander laytex was the most comfortable mattress I have felt, but the reviews online have them developing the hammock affect in months with a poor warranty from Enlander, Englanders plush individual pocketed spring mattress felt the next best, but as I tried a Bassett ages ago and it developed impressions in 2 yrs I am afraid to go back to individual pockets springs.  Am beginning to believe that all of these mattresses are just not designed to go past 5yrs without body impressions.  If you are fortuneate enough to be able to sleep on a firm mattress, they do appear to last longer, and if you don't have back or neck problems, then your mattress will last forever.
Re: Two Strikes And.....................
Reply #26 Feb 6, 2012 3:35 PM
I would try Flobeds with their great return policy with split layers and then you can adjust layers to get your own comfort for each side of the bed.  Having the cushion over firmness is the way to stop back pain ... at least for me as I sleep.

Recent Posts