Too firm mattress & Latex topper?
Jun 16, 2011 12:44 PM
I recently bought a bed. Didn't want pillow top after all the horror stories, so got a semi-firm set. Now I"m finding this bed too firm for me and wake up with sore shoulders and tingling limbs. Exchanging it doesn't seem to be an option since all the tight-tops are firm and pillow tops the only other choice.

I"m ready to order a 100% talalay 2" topper, 19ILD,  at a good price. Would 3" be preferable?I need a softer bed since I sleep on my front. Would this thickness be adequate to soften the bed and remove pressure points?

I"m about 5'7" and 140lbs.

This message was modified Jun 16, 2011 by DoreenA
Re: Too firm mattress & Latex topper?
Reply #16 Jul 20, 2011 8:13 PM
DoreenA wrote:

So I had to compromise. Since I cannot test a latex topper before buying and have read here that some people just don't like the feel of it, I decided to wait until these toppers reach this part of the world. But I still desperately needed some softness for my firm bed. So I started looking into fiber toppers which I'm sure no one here would recommend. I'm avoiding memory foam since I've heard so many complaints about heat generation and I don't need that.

I finally ordered a 2", gusseted fiber bed from Sears (I have 90 days to test it and at least it's an easy return if I don't like it) and it arrived Sat. It was expensive, but the quality is beautiful and it's soft and comfortable. Since then I've been getting up without the stiffness and backache I've been experiencing since forever. I wanted it even cushier so yesterday I got a fairly cheap foam topper from Walmart. I put the foam on first, the mattress pad on top of that, the fiberbed on that, then a sheet.

Last night I felt I finally got my "pillowtop", but without the fear of the sagging. I don't know how long this arrangement will hold up or remain comfortable, but for now it's heavenly and even in this extreme heat it stays cool and airy feeling.

I still want a latex topper down the road, but only when I can see, touch and test it first.

I'm very appreciative of this forum and all I've learned here. It never would have occured to me to buy a firm bed and then layer it. Such a wonderful idea! Thanks bunches!!

Doreen,  I have been going through the same problem with an extra firm mattress and have waisted money on a memory foam topper from Macys and now I just recieved a "Rejuvenite Latex Mattress Topper -28 ILD" from an on-line store.  I would recommend "ChoiceRest" at http://shop.choicerest.com and look at the Rejuvenite Latex Mattress Topper - 19ILD which is their plush version.  The Rejuvenite is made by Latex International and is a Talalay Latex product with a very nice cover.  I recommend the plush 19 ILD over the 28 ILD firm since the latter seems too firm to me and i'm over 220's.

Recent Posts