Think we are going Latex, recommendations for our size? Vendors? Builds? Where to test them out?
Sep 5, 2012 1:04 AM
Hello folks.  I did a bunch of research around here months back but kind of put it off until now as we had to find a place to live to actually use the matress.  

From what I have gathered I realized I was over my head when it comes to beds.  Ive had two beds for most of my life, they were both pretty horrible and my current matress bows horribly in the middle.  This of course causes back pain for the fiance and myself.  Thus durability and longevity is very important.  Im willing to spend decent money on a latex if I know I won't have to replace it in 5-10 years and it wont be bowed and deformed. 

I believe I want 100% Talalay blended latex.  That seems to have a semi consensus as far as value and holding up over the years, and returning to form faster than memory foam after movement.  We also want a King size, eastern as well.  The fiance isn't too particular about layout or layers, she doesn't believe so at least, as she can pretty much sleep anywhere.  I am a pretty big guy, 6'3 265.  She is about 5'7, 125.   I sleep mostly on my back and some on my side in recent years, mainly because my bed is so bad.  This has helped ease up the back pain.  We live in West Michigan and I seem to have little luck when it comes to matress vendors around here knowing much about latex, nor being able to find some for me to test out something similar at least.

I do know about foambymail and sleepez and have read various reviews about them and threads here. 

So I have some questions:

1.  Am I making the right choice as far as composition, 100% talalay latex?  Do I want a bottom layer/firmer layer of dunlop? 

2.  What kind for firmness, ILD, setups should I get?  The firm, medium, soft seems to be mentioned a lot but I am not sure how to find out if a soft top layer is "too soft".  Nor do I know how specific I should get at each layer.

3.  Where is the best value?  Am I going to have to go FBM?  SleepEZ?  Should there be anything local that should be comperable?  Maybe something I can at least test out?

4.  Do most covers, say at FMB or SleepEZ, fit any size/build?  Outside of a cover (wool seems to be the go-to) is it a no-no to put anything else on top of it?  Does it affect breathability and or negate the benefits of the latex?  Do sheets go below a cover or on top of it? 

5.  We will also need a foundation, slats seem to be the recommendation, best price/value on that?  Will any slatted foundation still sit just fine inside of a bed frame set that we may get down the road?  I am not sure how all that works out.  Right now I just have a matress, bed spring, and that sits on a metal frame. 

6.  I am also worried about temperature.  I like to go to sleep "cooler" and put on sheets/blankets as I warm up.  Will latex be too warm?  Will a wool cover will that not be an issue?

7.  Can I expect 10-20 years out of this?  I see some of these places have 20 year warranties (SleepEZ).  What does that entail?  Just workmanship and defects?  Does it entail wear and tear?  Divots or bows in the latex in time?  Is that even a worry with latex?

Thanks for any help guys.  The most I have ever spent on a bed was like $400, so this is a major upheaval in my train of thought but I really want a good investment that is comfortable for the future for the fiance and I when we move in together.

This message was modified Sep 5, 2012 by JSK23
Re: Think we are going Latex, recommendations for our size? Vendors? Builds? Where to test them out?
Reply #15 Nov 14, 2012 4:49 AM
GK,

You're the man!  Thank you very much for your detailed explanation!  Your posts were a tremendous help and I'm sure they’ll help others in the future. I can’t thank you enough for the help you provided!

As soon as I read your suggestion to use three 3" cores and a 1.5" 19 ILD on top, I knew this was the formula for us!  Of the companies we spoke to, only our local dealer offers 1.5” LI blended Latex cores.  They agreed to lower their price to something slightly higher than SleepEZ’s plus tax, so I’ll see them today or Thursday to finalize the purchase.

My wife still prefers Foamsweetfoam’s mattress cover.  They place the zipper on the side, a few inches below the top edge.  When fastened, the top cover overlaps the zipper and hides it.  It’s a nice touch, but Foamsweetfoam doesn't sell the cover separately. Additionally, their cores are not cut in half to provide individual comfort levels per side.  They charge an additional $100 per layer to cut the cores.  Even if I wanted to purchase their 100% natural Talalay mattress, this alone would turn me off.

BTW, our current 12” mattress is 30” from the floor.  Your configuration will reduce the height to 28.5”. My wife appreciates the reduced distance to her table and the floor!

We’re going with a 3-layer Latex International blended Talalay 3” split core mattress and will top it with 1.5” of ILD 19 (a complete Cal King size core – not split). Based on your recommendations and what I recall we liked, I’m leaning toward the following configuration(s):

My Side (160 lbs, 5’9” - My 2nd choice is in parenthesis)

1.5” 19 ILD Relief Core - (same)

3” 28 ILD Relief Core - (24 ILD)         

3” 36 ILD Base Core – (same)

3” 40 ILD Base Core – (same)

Wife Side (188 lbs, 5’8”- Her 2nd choice is in parenthesis)

3” 32 ILD Base Core – (36 ILD)

3” 36 ILD Base Core – (40 ILD)

I’m visiting the store tomorrow to test my configuration(s).  My wife won’t be able to test hers before we purchase.  

So, this is it – my last question:  Which of the above two configurations do you prefer first and second for my wife?

Thank you kindly, Sir! 

This message was modified Nov 14, 2012 by Dawgneck
Re: Think we are going Latex, recommendations for our size? Vendors? Builds? Where to test them out?
Reply #16 Nov 14, 2012 7:45 AM
Dawgneck wrote:>>

>>My wife still prefers Foamsweetfoam’s mattress cover.

Agreed, it's very nice.

>>My Side (160 lbs, 5’9” - My 2nd choice is in parenthesis)

3” 36 ILD Base Core – (same)
3” 40 ILD Base Core – (same)

>>Wife Side (188 lbs, 5’8”- Her 2nd choice is in parenthesis)

3” 32 ILD Base Core – (36 ILD)
3” 36 ILD Base Core – (40 ILD)

>>So, this is it – my last question:  Which of the above two configurations do you prefer first and second for my wife?

I'm just a short bit ahead of you on your Latex journey... those builds are too close to IT for me to refine from here.  You'll probably like your first choice... firm with a plush touch.  She may like her first choice, although I like the thought of softening the cush to 24 and firming the core to 'core values'... just hard to know how it will interact... will 28-32 feel better than 24-36?... I don't know except that firming a lower layer will make the layer over it more firm.  I also like the idea of making the bottom layer all one base core ILD... more like a base... but sometimes my quest for form does get in the way of function!

Note that a rated layer is tested in 6 areas and typically varies across the mattress by as much as 1,2,3 or so increments... so a 32 could have some lower and higher firmness ratings.  If we knew where they were, we could think about putting certain areas to one side or the other... good thing we don't know!

Make sure your back doesn't sag when you lay on your front.

GK

Reply #17 Nov 14, 2012 8:23 PM
Thanks, GK.

I spoke to my wife and she believes she'll prefer the 24 ILD under the 1.5" 19 ILD.  According to Latex International's figures, they consider 36 ILD an extra firm / base core.

Components ILD Scale

She thinks 19/24/32/36 might be fine, but I worry 36 might be too soft for her weight/spine alignment, and I'm now leaning towards 40 at the bottom.

I also agree with your statement, "I also like the idea of making the bottom layer all one base core ILD... ".  This would basically give us matching sides.

Update:

Our local store just called - it appears they might want to keep the price the same regardless if we go with a 1.5" or 3" layer as the fourth top core. 

I'm meeting with the shop tomorrow to discuss this face to face.  If they won't reduce the price accordingly for the 1.5" vs 3" (appx $200 per my calculation), we might have to go with four 3" layers or squeeze a second 1.5" layer with a different ILD (14 or 24).

I'm not sure what's the best way to go.

Reply #18 Nov 16, 2012 7:33 PM
Hi.. you all are kidding here right.. I mean all the spec's etc. and what you will add and buy to make a bed here.. it's incredible the lengths you all will go through to construct a mattress.. please continue to shop and look for other options.. but do not waste your money buying these expensive toppers that will be a pain on top of the beds to make and will only cover up the uncomfortable for a short period of time .. that is a money pit if I ever heard of one..   not to mention you thinking 10 to 20 years of anything in this lifetime.. ..not going to happen.. and if you are talking of making your bed from scratch.. forgetaboutit..!!  if you think a 400 dollar investment will buy you comfort.. think again.. not going to happen other than frustrate the heck out of you.. keep shopping and keep laying on many beds.. keep a journal of where you were and what you laid on and keep going back to lay on them again.. until your gut tells you ths is the one.. but to just buy a bunch of layers of this and that and latex here and whatever else you need for support and comfort on top of this or that.. you will drive yourself mad doing it.. YOU are not a manufacturer.. This site gives me a turn every now and again and I must say this post was as good as it gets...keep looking at mattresses to buy..
Reply #19 Nov 19, 2012 11:21 AM
Glenbury wrote:

Hi.. you all are kidding here right.. I mean all the spec's etc. and what you will add and buy to make a bed here.. it's incredible the lengths you all will go through to construct a mattress.. please continue to shop and look for other options.. but do not waste your money buying these expensive toppers that will be a pain on top of the beds to make and will only cover up the uncomfortable for a short period of time .. that is a money pit if I ever heard of one..   not to mention you thinking 10 to 20 years of anything in this lifetime.. ..not going to happen.. and if you are talking of making your bed from scratch.. forgetaboutit..!!  if you think a 400 dollar investment will buy you comfort.. think again.. not going to happen other than frustrate the heck out of you.. keep shopping and keep laying on many beds.. keep a journal of where you were and what you laid on and keep going back to lay on them again.. until your gut tells you ths is the one.. but to just buy a bunch of layers of this and that and latex here and whatever else you need for support and comfort on top of this or that.. you will drive yourself mad doing it.. YOU are not a manufacturer.. This site gives me a turn every now and again and I must say this post was as good as it gets...keep looking at mattresses to buy..

This thread is discussing a 100% blended Talalay Latex mattress construction for an adjustable bed, not a topper to improve an existing mattress.  The original poster has chosen to pursue this project, a calculated risk.

Otherwise, your advice to shop carefully and extensively for a mattress is good advice.  Done faithfully, the consumer may learn something and may purchase a satisfactory mattress at a fair price.  Or they may not.  You have posted that you have spent many thousands of dollars buying unsatisfactory mattresses, and that you are now sleeping on something that is 'ok... a firm innerspring mattress with an added topper', but that it is not necessarily the holy grail for all your effort and expense.  You may be wiser, but you sound a bit bitter about it.  If someone comes along wanting to build a Latex foam rubber mattress not unlike the many being sold commercially, why piss on their project?

GK

Reply #20 Nov 19, 2012 7:56 PM
In response to GK..   I know what the guy is doing making his own layers etc etc..  I would like to know how successful these man made layered beds are.. and how long they actually last for the dollars spent?   The only reason I post on here is to make a person think about what they are doing.. yes I am bitter about all the money I have spent on high end mattresses and been taken by the best of the names out there believing in their warranties and all the hype about the mattress in question that I did eventually buy.. thus making my comments that spending a ton of money on a mattress doesn't buy you anything today.. the toppers are just that toppers that have no foundation other than the one you put it on and if it isn't constructed properly you will not get a good comfort level for you body.. I do NOT have a topper on mine.. I just stated that I actually did better with a cheaper mattress than all the high end mattresses out there..  I don't mean to piss on anyone.. just make them think before they spend......!!    I do believe the guy will buy a bunch of layers and end up with just that a bunch of layers of foam or latex that will not have any real support in the end....Just sayin..
Reply #21 Nov 20, 2012 11:30 AM
Glenbury wrote:>>

>>I would like to know how successful these man made layered beds are.. and how long they actually last for the dollars spent?

Good question to ask.  I have $2000 invested in my Queen 3x3" blended LI Talalay Latex mattress and platform.  I spec'd and bought the mattress... the cover will last a very long time... the Latex has a 20 year manufacturer warranty and can be replaced.  I designed and built the platform for $400... it will last a lifetime supporting any type of mattress and has a ~14" clearance for underbed storage.  This bed sleeps fine and it is successful.

>>The only reason I post on here is to make a person think about what they are doing..

Some of it reads as unsubstantiated skepticism, forewarning inevitable failure and with a touch of ridicule... not informed, not useful, and not helpful, imo.

>>I do believe the guy will buy a bunch of layers and end up with just that a bunch of layers of foam or latex that will not have any real support in the end....Just sayin..

Possible, but Latex foam rubber ranges super plush to super firm and can be very supportive.  Even super plush can feel extremely firm and supportive to a light/distributed load.  The 14-44 ILD firmness range is manufactured to be suitable for mattress applications, and it is.

GK
Reply #22 Nov 20, 2012 5:30 PM
Gk...   I have no doubt  the platform you made will outlast your latex... would love to see them make good on that 20 year warranty...   Different experiences by different consumers..!!  
Reply #23 Nov 20, 2012 9:51 PM
Glenbury wrote:

GK...   I have no doubt  the platform you made will outlast your latex... would love to see them make good on that 20 year warranty...   Different experiences by different consumers..!!  

I view the warranty as more an indicator of service life than a recourse for service.  We'll see.

GK

Reply #24 Nov 22, 2012 12:52 PM
Im going through a similar process guys looking to buy latex mattress online. Alot of vendors are offering me a cheap spring mattress but I just dont think they are comparable. Can the spring mattress work as well?

Recent Posts