Tempurpedic vs. Latex, DIY and Other High-End options
Oct 6, 2009 6:03 PM
I replaced my old innerspring mattress with a Simmons last year, but have found in the last year that the new mattress bothers my back.  I now have trouble sleeping through the night, which I never experienced before (and I continue not to have any pain during the day).  After several trips to various mattress stores, I discovered that I liked the firmer Tempurpedic mattresses (with the HD-Tempur foam) better than innerspring and air mattresses.  But I have two concerns:

(1) Reports -- on this site and elsewhere -- are mixed about the durability of Tempurpedics.  Some people report sagging and indentations (though not the 3/4-inch needed to trigger the warranty); others don't.  Does anyone have a view on or experience with this?

(2) I have not looked much at latex mattresses, but there seems to be tremendous interest in them on this site.  There is also a lot of discussion of do-it-yourself mattress building, which seems like a recipe for disaster given my very limited knowledge.  But before I spring for the Tempurpedic, are there any obvious drawbacks to Tempurpedic versus other high-end or high-energy options?

Thanks so much in advance for any help.  I truly appreciate it.

Jeff

Re: Tempurpedic vs. Latex, DIY and Other High-End options
Reply #5 Oct 7, 2009 1:23 AM
Here are a few suggestions.  You might be able to search in your area and find a dealer who carries Land and Sky latex mattresses.  These are Dunop processed latex mattresses.  Lady Americana manufactures a latex mattress called the Sweda you may be able to find locally.  I tried one of these and i think it's Talalay.  OMI manufactures a certified organic latex mattress using Talalay latex.  Or, if you have an Ikea near you, they have a latex mattress that will give you a good feel for how latex is to lie on.

I wouldn't particularly recommend any of these mattresses to buy, just to get a feel for latex. Another option is to walk into a mattress showroom and try a Sealy Spring Free mattress - they have a latex core topped with a bunch of cheap foam you don't want, so this would just be to get an idea of how a latex mattress feels. 

If you live in Southern California, Custom Comfort in Orange County has a variety of Talalay latex mattresses you can try.  I would just search your yellow pages and do a local web search.  It may take a little digging but the likelihood is there is a business within driving distance of you with a latex mattress on a showroom floor you can try out.

Also, I would not just use this forum for researching opinions on the Tempurpedics.  I find in general this forum is very anti-Tempurpedic, but if you go to other sources, such as Epinions, you'll find a more balanced mix of responses from owners.
Reply #6 Oct 7, 2009 5:53 AM
FYI: If you've spent any time perusing this Forum you'll find that in general Tempurpedic and Sleep Number beds are not held in high regard. On the other hand a recent article in Consumer Reports noted that based on their reader survey, those who bought Tempurpedic and Sleep Number beds were the most satisfied with their purchase... Go figure!
Reply #7 Oct 7, 2009 12:00 PM
I have a DIY memory foam mattress. All my foam was made in the USA by Foamex. Foamex is the largest Amercian domestic producer of foam.My memory foam comfort layer is Venus and Aerus.It was designed specifically not to sleep hot and according to Foamex it sets the standard for enviromentally safe foam production and it does not use the chemicals that cause the most out-gassing. I would imagine they would get sued by Tempur Pedic among others if not true.Standard spring mattresses out-gas some as well as every mattresses that has flame retardent chemicals.You need a doctors note to get those 100% chemical free organic mattresses that don't outgass. But don't drop a hot light bulb or cigarette on those! Poof, mattress up in flames.

Comfort layer
2" Venus 8lbs 15 ILD (equivalent of Tempur's 7 lbs HD foam)
4" Aerus 4 lbs 12 ILD

Base Foam

3" Reflex 1.8 lbs 28 ILD
3" Reflex 1.8 lbs 35 ILD

That plus mattress cover,protector, and plywood from Home Depot to put on top of my existing box spring cost me just under $1000 for King size.

I love my mattress. It does not sleep hot nor does it smell. I did do the apple and baking soda thing just because.

I am 5'9" 260 lbs male. Maybe you need more or less support based on your size. I also live near the beach in Los Angeles. Maybe if I lived in San Antonio Texas without AC my foam mattress would sleep hot. LOL>

If you are considering mattresses in the price range of Tempur-Pedics with HD you may also want to check out Royal-Pedic's 7 Zone Latex mattres.By itself it is very firm.They sell companion toppers in the 2-5 inch range with the thickest resulting in a super plush feel. This might be my "If I won the lottery" mattress.

Recent Posts