TempurPedic or Latex for 'large' people?
Jan 8, 2013 12:12 PM
It's time to buy a new bed.  I've been doing a little research, but not ending up with good answers.  I'm glad that someone directed me here.

We have a probably 12-14 year old ComfortPedic mattress.  At the time Tempurs were pretty new and way expensive.  We went with the ComfortPedic.  Of course, no one told us that the best wasn't good for large people.  Hubby is tall and about 300 pounds.  Over time, even with a horizontal rotation, there is a huge well where his torso is.  My side is much firmer, but certainly not like what it once was. 

Is the scenario going to happen with a new Tempurpedic, or should we look at Latex?    Is this typical that the foam stops coming back after a while?  

Thanks!

Re: TempurPedic or Latex for 'large' people?
Reply #1 Jan 8, 2013 1:24 PM
Getting 12-14 years out of a mattress for a 300 lbs person is excellent.

I would say you got your money's worth.

I am 280 lbs and sleep on a DIY version of the Tempur Pedic Grand Bed.

About 6 years without complaint.

If you are looking for pure longevity my guess is that a medium to high quality latex mattress will last at least 50% longer.

But the price will be at least 50% more.

With TP you are paying a pretty premium for brand name and not necessarily a better foam than is availble from competitors.

Other companies make something similar to the standard 5.34 lbs memory foam and 7 lbs HD memory foam.

Any mattress whether innerspring,memory foam or latex will last less if you are 300 lbs vs an owner that is 150 lbs.

Recent Posts