Some Good Questions About Mattresses with Answers
Sep 6, 2009 7:57 PM
Jim asked some good questions in another thread. Instead of Hijacking that thread I've decided to start a new one for the answers and discussion. Here's a link to the original thread: http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/mattress-surgery-performing-foam-ectomy-my-englander-mattress-w-photos/6161-0-1.html

Here's some of the questions regarding modern mattresses answered:

1) Is Stearns and Foster not owned by Sealy?

They are in fact. They do not, however, use the same coil systems, same foam systems, or the same construction. You are either certified to work on Stearns and Foster OR Sealy. You never make both. Other than the fact that they are often made within 100 yards of eachother and your money goes to the same company, they have virtually nothing in common from a feel or construction standpoint.

2) So you are saying that S&F and Sealy make their own coils, they are not manufactured by L&P?

The short answer is no, L&P does not make Sealy or Stearn's coil. The long answer is it depends whether we're ACTUALLY talking about Sealy's coil. If you see a bed and it's labeled "Sealy" instead of "Sealy Posturepedic" it does NOT have the Sealy Posturepedic coil in it. It has an inexpensive Bonnell coil that is well suited for spare bedrooms, kids beds, or cheap short term solutions. L&P does in fact make these coils but NOT the Sealy Posturpedic coils. Both current versions of the Stearns and Foster coil are made by that division of Sealy.

3) Are the S&F coils different than the Sealys?

Completely. The Sealy Posturpedic coil is a triple offset interlaced  5-turn 14ga coil that's been dual heat tempered. Interlaced is a fancy way of saying that the coils are connected together instead of individual. Interlaced coils provide more of a deep firm or deep flat support type of feel. The offset means the coil looks more like an egg than a circle. The egg shape more evenly distributes your way and keeps it from concentrating on a specific point. This is important because whenever you push down on a bed the bed pushes right back up at you with the same force. With a circle coil like a Bonnel that force is concentrated creating a more pronounced pressure point. Heat tempering is the difference between a paperclip and a fish hook. It determines how many times and how completely the spring comes back.

Interlaced coil systems such as this tend to be slightly (not overwhelmingly) more preferred by stomach and back sleepers.

Stearns and Foster currently fields two types of coils. In their Core line they use a 14ga individually wrapped (individually pocketed is patented by Simmons) coil. Individual coils are not attached by metal to the coils next to them. This allows a coil to conform to your shape more completely. More of a "hug" type of feel instead of a "deep support".

Stearns and Foster Estate is their flagshop coil. Each coil is actually two. There's a bigger 15ga outer coil and a smaller 13ga inner coil. the effect is that the lighter parts of your body only engage the outer thin coil and the bed feels softer. The heavier parts engage both coils and feel firmer. A lot of people want the "Soft on top, firm underneath" feel. This is the only actual coil design capable of providing that. Other manufacturers simulate it with various types of foam.

Do you happen to know what gauge the S&F coils are, how many turns, etc.?

The Core series coils are 5 turns. The Estate series coils are 5 turns on the bigger outside coil and 11 turns on the smaller inside coil. The outside is 15ga the inside is 13ga.

Is it a Bonnell type?

Stearns and Sealy Posturpedic are both offset.

Are Simmons springs now substantially different or better than they were, say 10 years ago?

Most spring systems underwent a pretty substantial change in 2005 when beds became unflippable. Before this time springs had to be symmetrical around the central axis so you could flip it. Modern springs are one-sided and allow for a far superior design. In short, yes.

That said, Simmons uses individually pocketed springs. It's a great spring system for some people. If the combined weight of you and your partner is less than, say, 380 pounds the individual springs may be a good option for you. If, however, you're more like me and the combined weight of you and your other on the bed is more like 500 pounds you will rip through those poor 15.25ga individual springs. If you're bigger and really love Individual Springs you may want to try the thicker Stearns and Foster or a Simmons Firm. The Firm levels of Simmons use 13ga coils instead of 15.25ga.

I was told, even transporting them around turns or at slants would cause damage to them. Is that still true today? or are they tied and placed differently now?

Modern Simmons sew their pockets together where old ones used to glue them together. The glue was the source of those problems.

Are you saying that the top of the line more expensive mattresses in the "S" brands use a higher quality foam?

Yes. Even if they do use PU or PE foam, not all PU or PE foam is created equal. For the most part the mid level of a major manufacturer (Mid being $1300 or so in a queen) will use reasonable quality latexes or memory foams atop a PU or PE base. All beds will have some PU or PE you wouldn't want to put the comfort foams directly atop the springs.

Re: Some Good Questions About Mattresses with Answers
Reply #9 Sep 10, 2009 1:37 PM
"The chances that foam will break down are heavily dependant upon the type of foam being used. You can't really make a label that all foam is bad.

Case in point, Tempurpedic is an all foam bed. Unlike virtually every manufacturer out there they only require 3/4" sag (body impression) in your mattress to trigger their warranty. The rest of the industry requires a 1.5" sag. Despite this and despite being all foam Tempurpedics have the lowest warranty redemption rate in the industry.

It's all in the type and quality."

I didn't say or mean to imply that "all foam is bad".  It is merely a product that has a life.  Longer or shorter, depending on quality and use.  It really is about the bubbles!

Actually, I did buy some high quality memory foam toppers to go with mattresses.  I did also find that even with good memory foam I was able to make the "butt-dent" area wear prematurely.  You could not see the wear, but it stopped being supportive.   I am 5'6" and weigh 125#, carried primarily in that area.  That is my main issue with my sleeping comfort.

What happens is that that area sinks and stops being supportive, causing my low back to seize up(presumably trying to hold my body in alignment all night...heckuva stress for the lumbar region).  I am also in a conundrum as I have super wide shoulders and a narrow waist/ribcage so have to have a bed that has enough padding to cuddle without dropping the weight too far. 

I also caused the same wear in an all-latex mattress, a S& F Bruno Clair, two Restonics, one Stress-o-pedic....about $7500 worth of failed sleep tools altogether...which doesn't even count trying to have one bed re-made...plus toppers....

Kait

This message was modified Sep 10, 2009 by Kait

Recent Posts