Snugfleece Elite
Oct 4, 2010 12:29 PM
Some of you may have read my posts about the Snugfleece Original wool pad that I'm having trouble with. The retailer (online) I bought it from wouldn't do anything to help since I've had it over 3 months (it comes with a 30 day guarantee, but beyond that, nothing). So I wrote to Snugfleece directly.  Imagine my surprise when they wrote back saying I could return it for a Snugfleece Elite.  The Elite has a poly backing and slightly less wool.  Has anyone used this? I think sandman or someone did (I found a thread)..I'm concerned about the poly back not being breathable and/or the wool matting down just like it did in the Original.

I'm impressed with the customer service though, I sure did not expect them to offer an exchange!  Writing to them was a last ditch effort more to complain than expect results, lol.

Re: Snugfleece Elite
Reply #11 Oct 4, 2010 6:12 PM
requin wrote:

Angel, honestly I think any and all of the exposed wool type pads will have the same issues.  I looked at the links you posted and they look nice but don't they all LOOK nice..until you sleep on them for a while, then I bet they all mat down. And depending on the backing, don't offer much airflow. My Original has the cotton backing but I still get hot on the latex underneath.  What brand of cotton enclosed wool pad have you now?

I have the Holy Lamb Organics 1" wool topper.  I don't think they make it any longer, and the ones that I see on their website now are sewn entirely different than mine (and not an improvement, IMHO;  also the cotton wrap looks much stiffer/thicker than mine).  I also have their 2" & 3" topper (for separate beds).  I have to pull them out, I can't remember if my 1" is for my king bed or if I perhaps got that one for my daughter's old twin bed.

I was happy with all of them and had no problems with them after long-term use, although the 3" was too thick for my liking.  I also have one of their wool comforters, and if my 1" topper is not a king size, I intend to use that comforter as my mattress pad assuming its a king.  If you look at their website, you will see that there is not a lot of stitching on their comforters, and the organic cotton is very soft (almost like flannel) and flexible.  I believe they do punch through with little thread ties, though, so that probably won't work for you.  I will let you know when I pull all this stuff out next week if any of it is different than I recall and has no stitching.

You may want to check out their Organic Merino Wool Blanket (or try to find something similar from a retailer that offers returns, unlike Holy Lamb), this thing looks really nice and it only has stitching around the perimeter.  Perhaps two of them layered would make a good, breathable base, if you aren't seeking more cushion.

Reply #12 Oct 6, 2010 3:10 PM
I realize I may be in the minority here, but I love my Snugfleece Original.  I do find that it mats down, but I just "comb" it up again once a week when I change the sheets.

My husband sleeps hot, so with a latex mattress it was very important for him to not have a problem with that.  He's loving the Snugfleece and says it's the best sleep he's had in a long time!  Good thing, 'cause I didn't want to play "swap the mattress cover" for the next few months! laugh

Reply #13 Oct 6, 2010 3:44 PM
Sharon wrote:

I realize I may be in the minority here, but I love my Snugfleece Original.  I do find that it mats down, but I just "comb" it up again once a week when I change the sheets.

My husband sleeps hot, so with a latex mattress it was very important for him to not have a problem with that.  He's loving the Snugfleece and says it's the best sleep he's had in a long time!  Good thing, 'cause I didn't want to play "swap the mattress cover" for the next few months! laugh

Hi Sharon, that's really great. I'm glad you and your husband love the original. The guy at Snugfleece said it's their most popular item.  So you're not in the minority, I am! surprise   You don't find that after you fluff it up, it mats down again really fast (like that night)??  Mine does. I also didn't find it helped the heat problem of the latex, enough.  The only thing it did really well was stop the sweating problem, 100%.

Reply #14 Oct 6, 2010 7:39 PM
requin wrote:

Hi Sharon, that's really great. I'm glad you and your husband love the original. The guy at Snugfleece said it's their most popular item.  So you're not in the minority, I am! surprise   You don't find that after you fluff it up, it mats down again really fast (like that night)??  Mine does. I also didn't find it helped the heat problem of the latex, enough.  The only thing it did really well was stop the sweating problem, 100%.

To be honest, I never really notice on a day to day basis, and it doesn't feel any different, so my weekly combing has been sufficient to keep us happy.  Is there a reason why you didn't like the fact that it mats?  Does it feel uncomfortable to you, or does the matting contribute to your feeling hot?

Reply #15 Oct 7, 2010 11:31 AM
Hi Sharon,

The matting doesn't contribute to the heat, but it is uncomfortable. It seems to mat into the rows in which the wool is bonded to the backing..and that's uncomfortable mainly on my hips and thighs (side sleeper).  To the point where I just can't sleep on it because the clumps dig in.

I'm going to return it and get the Elite which they generously offered, but I probably won't keep the Elite.  I'm actually doing best with nothing but the cotton fitted sheet between me and the mattress!  No more sweating, no hot spots, and no matted down knobs or anything (it's a new mattress). It's a tad hard, but I don't mind it, it's still breaking in.

Recent Posts