Sleep like a bear -- slow fulfillment?!?
May 11, 2010 5:24 PM
I know Amazon has us all spoiled, but I ordered a latex topper from SLAB last week and they sent me an email today saying the topper is expected to ship on 5/18. If they'd told me at the time I placed the order that it was out of stock I probably would have ordered elsewhere. 

Re: Sleep like a bear -- slow fulfillment?!?
Reply #5 May 24, 2010 4:01 PM
Update: I received the topper on 5/19. This was sooner than they estimated and 15 days from when I placed the order. Not great, but acceptable to me.

The topper was packed well and the box arrived in good condition. The topper was the right size and looked pristine, except for the numerous small tear-outs on some of the holes. Not sure, but I think this comes from rough handling of the latex. There was only a slight sweet odor that was fine after a couple of days of "airing".

Reply #6 May 24, 2010 4:32 PM
Thanks for the update. Man, I hate waiting that long for anything!

Can you tell me which topper you bought and how it feels? I am considering buying their Talatech 14ILD but wonder if it provides ANY support in that ILD?

Reply #7 May 24, 2010 4:57 PM
I recently bought 1" of 19ILD blended talalay from SLAB.  Took slightly under 2 weeks to get.

It is pretty nice, but the 1" of 100% natural from RMM seems a little nicer.  The SLAB has a definite glue seem, but I put it on the side I don't sleep so not an issue for me.  Don't think I would feel it anyway.   100% natual seems a little nicer (less synthetic - no surprise) than the blended, maybe in part because it is an end piece that is smooth on one side.  The holes seem a little bigger and more definited on the 100% natural as well.  I don't think any of this means much in terms of performance.

As expected, the 19 feels a bit softer than the 24, but more supportive than the piece of memory foam I replaced it with.  Last couple of nights I used on top of Sealy coils, 2" of 32 100% natural talalay, 1" of 5lb. Sensus, 1" of 19 blended Talatech, 1" of 24 100% naturual talalay, covered with Natura washable wool mattress pad.   I used without the wool topper to get more of a feel of latex.  Might be slightly softer without the topper - not sure?  Anyway, I am pretty happy with this configuration.  A bit firmer and more supportive than when I had the 2" of MF, but maybe slighlty more pressure points.   After a while, and the mattress warms up, it does seem to mold to the body reduce the pressure points.  I think the 1" of Sensus helps in this a bit.

I did not have heat issues without the topper, but it was a cool night.   I am putting the topper back on to see if I notice a difference.

As far as will 14 give enough support?  I think a bit more than MF, but maybe not a lot.  SLAB does allow returns, so if it is too soft you could exchange for a 19.  You will probably losing shipping costs both ways and maybe some handling fee.

Reply #8 May 25, 2010 2:42 PM
I got the 2" blended talalay in #28.  No seams in my queen size topper.   The 28 feels springy, but supportive and not unbearably hard. If feels great sleeping on my back. A bit less so on my side. It is very easy to turn from one position to another (unlike memory foam). I'm going to add something to the top to give it a softer, more luxurious feel, but I'm not sure what. I'll probably try a wool mattress cover/pad before I decide if I also want a 1" layer of softer latex.

Reply #9 May 26, 2010 3:16 PM
Sandman, I think you are right, the 19ILD will probably be a better thing for me to buy than the 14ILD that was recommended to me some time ago by a mattress expert. The 14 might just be too squishy.

I actually like the Sensus from Ostock better than the Fake Venus I got there. Unfortunately I made the mistake of buying the Sensus in 2" thickness and that is just too much memory foam for me. I have yet to try to return my fake Venus like some did. I just "know" it's going to be a big hassle so am reluctant to get involved. But if I did, I could order 1" of Sensus instead.

My other option is to see if the local foam warehouse where I used to get my HR foam cut from big giant cubes of foam, might be able to cut the Sensus 2" into 2 x 1" for me. They do sell memory foam there, but then again, cutting 2" of memory foam into 1" seems like it might be difficult even for them with their special foam cutting machines.

I am really wanting to try a 19ILD latex now from SLAB. But I am also afraid that it will just be another disappointment and I'll end up with another piece of useless foam in our already cramped-for-storage-space apartment! sad (And my wife already thinks I'm nuts with all this mattress experimentation! And she might be right! blush )

Reply #10 May 26, 2010 3:23 PM
twalkman wrote:

I got the 2" blended talalay in #28.  No seams in my queen size topper.   The 28 feels springy, but supportive and not unbearably hard. If feels great sleeping on my back. A bit less so on my side. It is very easy to turn from one position to another (unlike memory foam). I'm going to add something to the top to give it a softer, more luxurious feel, but I'm not sure what. I'll probably try a wool mattress cover/pad before I decide if I also want a 1" layer of softer latex.

Would you mind telling your weight? It helps to compare how supportive 28ILD is according to your weight.  Also what do you have under the 28ILD?

Reply #11 May 27, 2010 10:32 PM
I weight 170. Underneath is a S&F intellicoil along with foam layer to protect the springs and a zoned piece of memory foam. I did a mattress surgery which I consider very successful. I plan to make a complete post of the process in the next couple of weeks when I have time.

Recent Posts