Sleep Science Celeste / Vega? Comforpedic? (Memory Foam & Latex)
Aug 20, 2011 10:05 AM
Hi again everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone knows if you can still get this mattress from Costco? Or where you might be able to get something like this with a decent return/exchange policy? It's the Sleep Science mattress with both memory foam and latex called either the Celeste or the Vega I believe?

I found it on this site: http://www.homeclick.com/sleep-science-cst-14ck-14-cal-king-memory-foam-mattress/p-422026.aspx but really dont know anything about this retailer.

About a year or more ago when all my back pain began, I laid on some of the Comforpedic beds (also combo of memory foam plus some latex) and really loved them in the store. But, they are nearly $2,500 for a king and in Dallas the only place I could really find them was Sleep Experts. They do allow a one time one year exchange, but no refund. You'd have to get a replacement from them. So, while I was interested, I wasn't 100% convinced. But, I have a friend that just got a Comforpedic and they love it! So, it's grabbed my attention again. Or the idea of a memory foam/latex combo.

Of course, the Sleep Science version appears to be quite a bit less for a king at around $1,700 maybe. Which is more the price range I was hoping for (~<$2,000) if possible.

Sitting tight on the cheapo Sam's $300 firm innerspring right now till we sort out something more permanent.

Wondering if any of you know where to buy this Sleep Science or a good place to buy either the Sleep Science, the Comforpedic, or something similar with a good return/exchange policy?

Thank you!!!!!

Here's the description from the South Bay International Site:

The perfect marriage of comfort and support. Many Doctors and Chiropractic professionals recommend a sleep surface that is soft yet still has firm support. By layering our premium 5lb memory foam over Natural Latex we have achieved just that.

The 14” Vega delivers a soft, contouring, pressure reducing sleep surface that is supported by the Natural Latex core. Latex is one of the most resilient, supportive and durable cushioning materials available. Combine these superlative products with our patented ‘Wedge’ technology and patent pending, ‘Air Channel Base’, top it off with a sleep surface of ‘Pure Silk’ blended fabric married to a decorative cord trim and plush micro-suede side rails for a mattress that is as therapeutic as it is beautiful.

Re: Sleep Science Celeste / Vega? Comforpedic? (Memory Foam & Latex)
Reply #4 Aug 21, 2011 1:21 AM
Sleep and rest!
Novaform is the brand name sleep Innovations use.

The gel infused foam is also created by them.

All it is, is memory foam with small gel particles that are shredded then mixed into the blender before the foam is poured.

Another way to obtain small gel pieces, is to freeze the gel into a hard piece then shatter it into small pieces, like a block of ice would shatter into smaller pieces when placed in a blender..

The theory of putting these small gel particles into the foam is not enhance comfort. The memory foam does that. The memory foam is the essential solid structure providing the comfort.

The gel, which is in a liquid polymer form before it solidifies, is a better heat conductor than memory foam. They believe that the gel particles absorb excess heat in the foam.

Gel has one disadvantage though, it is extremely heavy. Couple that with a 5lb foam which is already heavy, and the topper is already heavy enough.

The amount of gel in parts per hundred that they place in the foam is not enough to remove any significant heat. Adding 50 parts gel per hundred would do the trick, however that topper would weight over 100 lbs.

There will be a product on the market which solves all these problems and here is a sample picture.

Liquid gel is poured onto the memory foam. Said foam has holes that go half way down the foam. This results in adding stability to the foam, and keeping that foam cool all night.

It's very comfortable, and if you place your hand on the gel it feels cool.

Try this experiment...do you guys have any metallic surfaces at home? Or a granite countertop? Place your hand on this material. What do you feel? Cold right!

Is the material cold? Just because you feel it's cold does not make that material cold. What in fact is happening is that the metal is pulling heat away from your hand. The metal, has a high value of thermal conductivity, and heat passes through it quickly.

Anyway, enough said...he is a pic of the future.

[IMG]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af111/quovadis123/DSCN5016.jpg[/IMG]

Re: Sleep Science Celeste / Vega? Comforpedic? (Memory Foam & Latex)
Reply #6 Aug 21, 2011 9:04 AM
Here is some quick feedback on the Novaform 2.5" gel memory foam topper -   ahhhhhh, fail

says 'Ultimate Comfort ... you don't sink in' - fail.  First thing I noticed is I sink a lot into the memory foam

says 'Superior Pressure Point Relief ... distributes weight to reduce tossing and turning' - fail.  No it didn't.  It didn't kick down much of the pushback coming from this latex mattress.

says 'Breathable comfort .... - never too warm, always just right' - Big fat fail.   Folks, it was hot

The gel foam doens't magically whisk the heat away to nowhere.  Where does the body heat go anyway?   Is there any air flow system in the topper?  Or in the top layer of a Novaform or iComfort?    Is there any convoluted foam to give the heat channels to dissipate?   No.

---------------------------------------------

Bottom line - awful lot of Tempurpedic wannabees out there.

Recent Posts