Simmons Comforpedic Free spirit. Plush/Firm
Jun 7, 2011 2:41 PM
Simmons Comforpedic Free Spirit King is what I finally decided upon after alot of research. I tested it out at Sleepys multiple times and really felt the firm was my choice. It is scheduled to be delivered this Thurs-Friday.

This weekend I had 2 nights of bad sleep on my current mattress an ended up back in the showroom wishing I had my new bed. The problem is I laid down on the firm that I had loved so much last week and it was uncomfortable, I tried the top of the line firm which is a bit plusher in the comforpedic line and it was better but still not great. I hopped on the Plush and I was in heaven again. Which left me scratching my head in confusion.

I assume its because my back was so bad from 2 poor nights of rest (Low back pain overall back sore) that made the plush seem so much more friendly as last week I hated the plush. Having a restocking fee staring me in the face though has me worried that I made the wrong decision. I called my chiropractor and he suggests I stick with the firm.

Im considering getting a latex topper if its to firm, but if I switch to plushand hate it im truly stuck with no way to achieve a firmer feel.

A) Any reviews or comments on the Simmons Comforpedic Free Spirit ( I have heard some negatives about there loft collections but thats a different series)

B) Plush or Firm? Benefits to one or the other? suggestions?

C) Any Latex or memory foam topper recommendations?

Re: Simmons Comforpedic Free spirit. Plush/Firm
Reply #9 Jun 22, 2011 9:08 AM
Correction - Smell. The first week I had it the windows in my house where wide open and the smell seemed to have dissapated. The day before yesterday I had the windows closed and the AC on, when I got home yesterday the smell was alot stronger than when I had the windows open. Still not enough to really bother me but I can see how if you have a very sensitive nose this would be unpleasant.  From what I have read and people I have spoken to the smell will take between 2-4 weeks to fully be gone.
This message was modified Jun 22, 2011 by sharkitus
Re: Simmons Comforpedic Mystic
Reply #10 Jul 9, 2011 8:42 AM
Since I also have a Comforpedic Mystic (AKA "Respiro", AKA "Navina") Plush, I thought I would post an update of my own.  Unfortunately, for me, this bed has not worked as well as I wanted it to.  The first few weeks were OK, but then the pain set in - pain like I haven't felt from a mattress before.  I will say that my partner doesn't have these problems, and thinks the bed is pretty comfortable -- we are about the same height and weight (6', 180lbs), so it goes to show that everyone's different.

I appear to have 2 problems with the Comforpedic:

1. It is not soft enough.  Although the mattress conforms to my body, it's not soft.  I woke up several mornings with hip pain from sleeping on my side.  I'd often end up lying in weird positions because I couldn't handle the pressure on my hip.
  2. There is not enough support. I would wake up with a lot of leg pain - and even had some swelling in one of my knees!  The bottoms of my feet, even hurt, which I thought was weird.  I sometimes had a little upper back pain. 

Every morning, it became more of a struggle to get out of bed.   For a few hours, I would feel like I had had a hard work out the day before. 

I read a thread on this site where someone said they fixed some of the issues they were having with a memory foam mattress by adding a couple of inches of latex.  I tried to order a latex topper from Foam By Mail a few weeks ago, but they are waiting on a shipment and have a big back order of Twin & King mattress toppers right now.  Finally, with my knee so swollen that I could barely hobble around, I bought a 2" latex topper from Amazon and put it on last night.  I think it's still too early to give a final verdict, but I feel much better this morning than I have in a while.  I don't think I aggravated my knee, and can actually walk on it as well.

The big thing is, I have to see where my partner stands on the Latex topper after sleeping on it a few nights.  He liked the bed the way it was, and is not thrilled about having to add a topper to it.  I'm disappointed that this didn't work, because I liked the Comforpedic line so much in the stores. Unfortunately, I ended up discovering that my body was not made for memory foam mattresses. 

Re: Simmons Comforpedic Mystic
Reply #11 Jul 19, 2011 12:15 PM
ZackG wrote:

Since I also have a Comforpedic Mystic (AKA "Respiro", AKA "Navina") Plush, I thought I would post an update of my own.  Unfortunately, for me, this bed has not worked as well as I wanted it to.  The first few weeks were OK, but then the pain set in - pain like I haven't felt from a mattress before.  I will say that my partner doesn't have these problems, and thinks the bed is pretty comfortable -- we are about the same height and weight (6', 180lbs), so it goes to show that everyone's different.

I appear to have 2 problems with the Comforpedic:

1. It is not soft enough.  Although the mattress conforms to my body, it's not soft.  I woke up several mornings with hip pain from sleeping on my side.  I'd often end up lying in weird positions because I couldn't handle the pressure on my hip.
  2. There is not enough support. I would wake up with a lot of leg pain - and even had some swelling in one of my knees!  The bottoms of my feet, even hurt, which I thought was weird.  I sometimes had a little upper back pain. 

Every morning, it became more of a struggle to get out of bed.   For a few hours, I would feel like I had had a hard work out the day before. 

I read a thread on this site where someone said they fixed some of the issues they were having with a memory foam mattress by adding a couple of inches of latex.  I tried to order a latex topper from Foam By Mail a few weeks ago, but they are waiting on a shipment and have a big back order of Twin & King mattress toppers right now.  Finally, with my knee so swollen that I could barely hobble around, I bought a 2" latex topper from Amazon and put it on last night.  I think it's still too early to give a final verdict, but I feel much better this morning than I have in a while.  I don't think I aggravated my knee, and can actually walk on it as well.

The big thing is, I have to see where my partner stands on the Latex topper after sleeping on it a few nights.  He liked the bed the way it was, and is not thrilled about having to add a topper to it.  I'm disappointed that this didn't work, because I liked the Comforpedic line so much in the stores. Unfortunately, I ended up discovering that my body was not made for memory foam mattresses. 

Good update Zack, sounds like you may need a sleep number if you and your partners preferences between firm/plush differ that much. You started with a plush and it has gotten softer over a few weeks and now you are experiencing some back pain. Do you think its possible that you need a firm mattress as it will soften up a bit as well and give you a slighty plush feel?  I know I had alot of trepedation deciding which firmness to go with and they both felt good in the showroom. I finally relied on my chiropractors recommendation of Firm and the sleepys sleep calculator recommendation of firm.

I would start at Sleepy's and try there calculator with your partner to get a recommendation of the type of mattress thats best suited for you.

Hope this helps

This message was modified Jul 19, 2011 by sharkitus
Reply #12 Aug 17, 2011 1:07 PM
     UPDATE - So far So Good. No issues to report.

It took roughly 5-6 weeks for the smell to completely disappear but it does go away. As far as comfort goes, the Sales people and sleepy's test machine were 100% correct. Firm was brutal for the first couple of days while my back adjusted to the new mattress but I have not had any back pain at all since then.  So we are definetly in the honeymoon phase at the moment as I have no back pain or sag issues to report but after reading other reviews and hearing from other users on here I am definetly on the lookout for any issues.

Completely happy with the purchase so far.

Reply #13 Feb 17, 2012 11:12 AM
UPDATE- Just checking in to say I am loving this bed more and more each day. I get a comfortable nights rest each and every night. This is truly the most comfortable bed I have ever owned. No issues no sag, no soft spots and unlike the tempers this mattress does not retain a tremendous amount of heat. I am 100% satisfied with my purchase up to this point.  Recommended!

Recent Posts