Simmons Comforpedic Free spirit. Plush/Firm
Jun 7, 2011 2:41 PM
Simmons Comforpedic Free Spirit King is what I finally decided upon after alot of research. I tested it out at Sleepys multiple times and really felt the firm was my choice. It is scheduled to be delivered this Thurs-Friday.

This weekend I had 2 nights of bad sleep on my current mattress an ended up back in the showroom wishing I had my new bed. The problem is I laid down on the firm that I had loved so much last week and it was uncomfortable, I tried the top of the line firm which is a bit plusher in the comforpedic line and it was better but still not great. I hopped on the Plush and I was in heaven again. Which left me scratching my head in confusion.

I assume its because my back was so bad from 2 poor nights of rest (Low back pain overall back sore) that made the plush seem so much more friendly as last week I hated the plush. Having a restocking fee staring me in the face though has me worried that I made the wrong decision. I called my chiropractor and he suggests I stick with the firm.

Im considering getting a latex topper if its to firm, but if I switch to plushand hate it im truly stuck with no way to achieve a firmer feel.

A) Any reviews or comments on the Simmons Comforpedic Free Spirit ( I have heard some negatives about there loft collections but thats a different series)

B) Plush or Firm? Benefits to one or the other? suggestions?

C) Any Latex or memory foam topper recommendations?

Re: Simmons Comforpedic Free spirit. Plush/Firm
Reply #5 Jun 8, 2011 3:05 PM
ZackG wrote:

We just purchased the Comforpedic Mystic plush - it arrived a little over a week ago.  A week is too soon to really judge the performance of a mattress, but I already like it much better than the sleep number bed that we were using before.

I have not seen a whole lot written about Comforpedic in general.  They still may be junk, but I think it's hard to compare it to a spring mattress.  Only time will tell how it actually performs.

If there's anyone out there who has had a comforpedic for a year or more, I'd also be interested in hearing about the experience.

Cool Zack, I have my fingers crossed.

I went and tested the firm mattress again last night and now that my back doesn't have aches and pains it feels great again. So I'm definetly hopeful I selected the right mattress for the long term.

Sorry to hear about your experiences Sail, I have a Simmons BeautyRest World Class Alexander Pillowtop King that I purchased in 2000 and its been excellent up until now even with the hard use it has seen with my family. So it seems like your mileage may vary with Simmons.

This message was modified Jun 8, 2011 by sharkitus
Reply #6 Jun 20, 2011 12:05 PM
UPDATE -

So the bed arrived the Friday before last, I checked the box springs and mattress thoroughly before it was inserted into the frame and everything was factory sealed. It came with two memory foam pillows and a waterproof mattress protector which I installed immediately.

Now I ordered a firm and this thing is FIRM and that got me worried again because it was hard. After a couple of hours of watching tv laying down it felt better UNTIL I fell asleep on it that night. I woke up Saturday morning in PAIN and feeling like I was 80 years old instead of my early 30's. I immediately called up the store I purchased it from and told them I thought I had made a terrible mistake and would be trading it in for a plush model ASAP. They explained that there are signifigant differences between the spring mattresses and the foam mattresses and the problem was getting used to it and to give it a few days but if I wanted they would be happy to exchange it for me. Sounded a little bit like salesmen speak to me but I have read enough hear to realize he may be speaking the truth but man was I SORE!

One of the reasons I went with a firm was my chiropractor recommended it and when I visited a Sleepy's there sleep tester also said mid firm, I went that Saturday to a different Sleepy's and tested my self again and it also said midfirm.  Anyway the next morning I was still sore but no where near the level of the first night but still sore enough. Third night it was better still and the fourth night I found it comfortable. The fifth night extremely comfortable and now I am basically in love with this mattress. It is firm but I am sinking in just enough to hold me into position at night and I don't toss and turn which leaves me feeling very rested in the morning.

So the stories (for me at least) are proving to be true and I just needed to give my back some time to adjust to its new sleep foundation. Also even though it came with two memory foam pillows I purchased 2 Comforpedic Free Spirit Standard pillows last Saturday. I find the two memory foam pillows a little two flat for my tastes the comforpedic are slightly firmer and more supportive so instead of needin a stack of pillow under my head 1 will do. Which for me is amazing as I usualy have 3 pillows under me.

Smell - there definetly was a smell when the mattress first arrived, it wasnt strong or bothersome at all, I had my window opened all week so maybe thats why it didnt bother me but I had the AC on yesterday and it no longer smells strongly. I'm sure if I jam my nose into it I will be able to detect it but normally entering my bedroom I can't detect it. My nose sensitivityon a scale of 1-10 is 7 so if your VERY sensitive to it you may notice it but I'm good.

So for week 1 I'm rating the comforpedic 4.5 out of 5 Stars, I'm deducting 1/2 a star because they tell you this mattress arrives with no break in necessary but it does break in some and it will take a bit of getting used to, probably less if you are alreadyused to a foam or latex bed.

Sorry this is so long but I wanted to give as much details as I can remember, I will continue updating this post as the months roll by and longevity issues are considered. Any questions or comments please let me know.

Thanks for reading.

Reply #7 Jun 20, 2011 1:30 PM
My Simmons was fine for the first 9 months, but then the Poly foam started sinking and sagging and the next thing I knew I started having back pain.  Come back in a year and let us know how it's working out for you.
Reply #8 Jun 20, 2011 3:08 PM
                I plan to update every month or 2, to keep everyone informed. My fingers are crossed. I have my receipt in hand and I don't eat in on at all so I don't have to worry about stains. So if it fails I will be the first in line for warranty coverage. There isn't to much information out there on these particular mattresses so i'm assuming with most of the reviews on this board your mileage may vary.

My last mattress was a Simmons that served me well and I hope this one does the same but only time will tell.

This message was modified Jun 20, 2011 by sharkitus
Reply #9 Jun 22, 2011 9:08 AM
Correction - Smell. The first week I had it the windows in my house where wide open and the smell seemed to have dissapated. The day before yesterday I had the windows closed and the AC on, when I got home yesterday the smell was alot stronger than when I had the windows open. Still not enough to really bother me but I can see how if you have a very sensitive nose this would be unpleasant.  From what I have read and people I have spoken to the smell will take between 2-4 weeks to fully be gone.
This message was modified Jun 22, 2011 by sharkitus
Re: Simmons Comforpedic Mystic
Reply #10 Jul 9, 2011 8:42 AM
Since I also have a Comforpedic Mystic (AKA "Respiro", AKA "Navina") Plush, I thought I would post an update of my own.  Unfortunately, for me, this bed has not worked as well as I wanted it to.  The first few weeks were OK, but then the pain set in - pain like I haven't felt from a mattress before.  I will say that my partner doesn't have these problems, and thinks the bed is pretty comfortable -- we are about the same height and weight (6', 180lbs), so it goes to show that everyone's different.

I appear to have 2 problems with the Comforpedic:

1. It is not soft enough.  Although the mattress conforms to my body, it's not soft.  I woke up several mornings with hip pain from sleeping on my side.  I'd often end up lying in weird positions because I couldn't handle the pressure on my hip.
  2. There is not enough support. I would wake up with a lot of leg pain - and even had some swelling in one of my knees!  The bottoms of my feet, even hurt, which I thought was weird.  I sometimes had a little upper back pain. 

Every morning, it became more of a struggle to get out of bed.   For a few hours, I would feel like I had had a hard work out the day before. 

I read a thread on this site where someone said they fixed some of the issues they were having with a memory foam mattress by adding a couple of inches of latex.  I tried to order a latex topper from Foam By Mail a few weeks ago, but they are waiting on a shipment and have a big back order of Twin & King mattress toppers right now.  Finally, with my knee so swollen that I could barely hobble around, I bought a 2" latex topper from Amazon and put it on last night.  I think it's still too early to give a final verdict, but I feel much better this morning than I have in a while.  I don't think I aggravated my knee, and can actually walk on it as well.

The big thing is, I have to see where my partner stands on the Latex topper after sleeping on it a few nights.  He liked the bed the way it was, and is not thrilled about having to add a topper to it.  I'm disappointed that this didn't work, because I liked the Comforpedic line so much in the stores. Unfortunately, I ended up discovering that my body was not made for memory foam mattresses. 

Re: Simmons Comforpedic Mystic
Reply #11 Jul 19, 2011 12:15 PM
ZackG wrote:

Since I also have a Comforpedic Mystic (AKA "Respiro", AKA "Navina") Plush, I thought I would post an update of my own.  Unfortunately, for me, this bed has not worked as well as I wanted it to.  The first few weeks were OK, but then the pain set in - pain like I haven't felt from a mattress before.  I will say that my partner doesn't have these problems, and thinks the bed is pretty comfortable -- we are about the same height and weight (6', 180lbs), so it goes to show that everyone's different.

I appear to have 2 problems with the Comforpedic:

1. It is not soft enough.  Although the mattress conforms to my body, it's not soft.  I woke up several mornings with hip pain from sleeping on my side.  I'd often end up lying in weird positions because I couldn't handle the pressure on my hip.
  2. There is not enough support. I would wake up with a lot of leg pain - and even had some swelling in one of my knees!  The bottoms of my feet, even hurt, which I thought was weird.  I sometimes had a little upper back pain. 

Every morning, it became more of a struggle to get out of bed.   For a few hours, I would feel like I had had a hard work out the day before. 

I read a thread on this site where someone said they fixed some of the issues they were having with a memory foam mattress by adding a couple of inches of latex.  I tried to order a latex topper from Foam By Mail a few weeks ago, but they are waiting on a shipment and have a big back order of Twin & King mattress toppers right now.  Finally, with my knee so swollen that I could barely hobble around, I bought a 2" latex topper from Amazon and put it on last night.  I think it's still too early to give a final verdict, but I feel much better this morning than I have in a while.  I don't think I aggravated my knee, and can actually walk on it as well.

The big thing is, I have to see where my partner stands on the Latex topper after sleeping on it a few nights.  He liked the bed the way it was, and is not thrilled about having to add a topper to it.  I'm disappointed that this didn't work, because I liked the Comforpedic line so much in the stores. Unfortunately, I ended up discovering that my body was not made for memory foam mattresses. 

Good update Zack, sounds like you may need a sleep number if you and your partners preferences between firm/plush differ that much. You started with a plush and it has gotten softer over a few weeks and now you are experiencing some back pain. Do you think its possible that you need a firm mattress as it will soften up a bit as well and give you a slighty plush feel?  I know I had alot of trepedation deciding which firmness to go with and they both felt good in the showroom. I finally relied on my chiropractors recommendation of Firm and the sleepys sleep calculator recommendation of firm.

I would start at Sleepy's and try there calculator with your partner to get a recommendation of the type of mattress thats best suited for you.

Hope this helps

This message was modified Jul 19, 2011 by sharkitus
Reply #12 Aug 17, 2011 1:07 PM
     UPDATE - So far So Good. No issues to report.

It took roughly 5-6 weeks for the smell to completely disappear but it does go away. As far as comfort goes, the Sales people and sleepy's test machine were 100% correct. Firm was brutal for the first couple of days while my back adjusted to the new mattress but I have not had any back pain at all since then.  So we are definetly in the honeymoon phase at the moment as I have no back pain or sag issues to report but after reading other reviews and hearing from other users on here I am definetly on the lookout for any issues.

Completely happy with the purchase so far.

Reply #13 Feb 17, 2012 11:12 AM
UPDATE- Just checking in to say I am loving this bed more and more each day. I get a comfortable nights rest each and every night. This is truly the most comfortable bed I have ever owned. No issues no sag, no soft spots and unlike the tempers this mattress does not retain a tremendous amount of heat. I am 100% satisfied with my purchase up to this point.  Recommended!

Recent Posts