Simmons BackGuard
Oct 30, 2010 12:47 PM
Hi. Got a Simmons BackGuard last week after returning an NXG 250 Firm which turned out to be both too soft and too hard at the same time (butt sank too much, back was pulling while shoulders were in pain and arms went numb). The BackGuard has zones (thinner coils under hips and shoulders and very firm for lumbar support) that I can distinguished with my ribs when I lay on my side after a minute or so (I weigh 250 lbs). Every morning, I wake up in pain (shoulders, ribs, back) so I'm looking for a topper but don't want to go overbaord to avoid making it too soft. Budget is limited so I'm leaning toward Foambymail latex topper. Don't know if I should go for 20 or 32 ILD. Any advice? 

Also, does anybody know how bad will their topper smell? How long before it dissipates?

This message was modified Dec 7, 2010 by ZZZZ
Re: Simmons BackGuard
Reply #50 Nov 29, 2010 10:31 AM
I couldn't test that setup last night since our guests arrived and my wife had to leave the sofa for her brother and come and sleep in our bed, which she found very firm and lacking some softness even though she's only 135. I had set it the opposite of the first night, putting the egg crate on the bottom, the latex in the middle and the quilt on top. I still very much sleep on top of the bed and not in it at all. Still, I managed to improve on my two past nights by sleeping almost 5.5 hours without waking up, which I see as a very good sign, although I was still stiff all over when I awoke. I could also attribute this progress to being exhausted because we went to bed very late.

At this point, I'm considering 3 scenarios:

1. Purchase the 3' latex topper from Costco to replace everything I have on the bed and give that a try. If I like it and decide to keep it, it will prove to be an expensive solution but I'd probably be so happy that I wouldn't care as much. If it doesn't work, I can always return it.

2. Do nothing as of yet and wait another week or two to see how things evolve and if things keep improving. I have a feeling it might to a certain degree but I highly doubt the bed would ever be comfy enough that we could enjoy sleeping late or let me read in bed for hours, like I used to do on my old bed. I know some people say the bed only needs to be comfortable enough to fall asleep in it but I’m looking for a little more softness, enough to be able to fall asleep even when you’re not completely exhausted!

3. Order another inch of soft latex from FBM and the terry cloth bag to have a full 2 inches of latex as a base. If the bed ever gets too soft, I could simply remove the egg crate, which won't last very long and will eventually have to be replaced anyway. If this is still not good enough, I could resort to add an inch of good quality memory foam. People here mentioned Sensus and Aerus I believe. Is using a single inch of memory foam a good idea to add just a little softness without make you sink too much?

This message was modified Nov 29, 2010 by ZZZZ
Reply #51 Nov 29, 2010 3:29 PM
Now that you have a better "base" I would probably go with option #2 and try the "experiment" when/if you can. What you learn from that will likely help you make better choices in adding toppers. I have a feeling that if you can put together "zoned" layers similar (in principle) to the diagram that you may find your problem solved ... at least as much as it can be given the condition of your back. I would also suggest giving each change a couple of nights (again if you can) since there may be too many variables to know if what you experience in a single night is from what you are sleeping on or from other circumstances. I would tend towards more slow gradual changes as it will increase your odds of getting it right in the end.

I know the memory foam is probably tempting but I would tend to stay away from it in your case simply because it has little resilience and will not help in any way with support even though it may with pressure. You are one of those "difficult" cases that has issues with both pressure and support and this is compounded with the weight. The memory foam would add softness but I I really think it's risky in your case because you have both pressure and alignment issues and the only materials that have qualities that can help with both are latex or HR poly.

The costco topper is the same ILD throughout and I believe that in your case your upper body needs something softer than your hips. The only reason I would consider the latex from Costco at this point is because you can return it ... and because you never know whether your actual experience would be different from what you might otherwise expect.

I called Costco to find out the ILD for my own information as well and they didn't know so are checking with the manufacturer and will call me back in a day or two. They did tell me that the "manufacturer" was Literielaurier (they thought they actually made the latex which of course they don't) so I called them to find out if they sell toppers to the general public and they do! The person who would know more about prices and options was busy with a customer so I left a message on his voicemail and he'll call me back. I'll post here when I get more information.

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 29, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #52 Nov 29, 2010 4:10 PM
You're right, the 1" Sensus is indeed very tempting since I sense that a little softness would go a long way for my sore hips and back. I would replace the quilt with it, so I shouldn't lose much support.

I'll wait to hear the details you'll get from the latex from Costco before going there. Too bad the 2' model is only available in twin and double.

Reply #53 Nov 29, 2010 5:00 PM
I talked to Literie Laurier and had a good conversation with him. I also told him about the forum and that a lot of Canadians may be interested in his answers and he plans to come and take a look and perhaps even post.

In any case he told me that the Costco topper was 40 ILD which would probably be too firm for you. It comes from LI.

He also told me that the Quebecois also like their latex either really soft or really firm so the toppers they sell from stock are 19, 40, and 44. When I told him that the people here would likely want a greater range as there are many who build their own mattresses, he said he could get it in other ILD's as well. They do a lot of latex volume and have a good relationship with LI. He will email me tomorrow with the prices for queen in 2" and 3" so we can get an idea of how they do price wise. They will also cover it for an extra cost.

It wouldn't surprise me if your quilt was giving you as much or more "support" than memory foam just from surface tension (depending on what it is and how it lays) but every inch of "lost support" would add up in your case. An inch of memory foam and an inch of soft poly could cause too much sinking in for your back to like it even if the rest was latex. Latex in the softer ILD's will usually relieve pressure (almost) as well as memory foam. I would also really make sure that you know the ILD of what you are buying as there is such a range that the wrong ILD, especially in a thicker layer, could really aggravate the problem.

Phoenix

Reply #54 Nov 29, 2010 7:16 PM
3 inches of 40 ILD? Wow! Who would use such a topper? Somebody who wants to firm up their bed?

That old quilt is really worn out, a bit uneven and not tight at all. I only use it because it softens up the surface a little. I tried it without and the bed is a little harder. I put it over top of the mattress pad, which is holding the egg crate and the latex together, so it doesn't move. The pad does however tightens things up and the surface is not cushy at all, just a tightly stiched cotton. I know I need support but I'm certain that some of the pain I have (lower back and hips) comes from pressure, hence my hurry to find a fix. Even ordering today would give at least a full two weeks before delivery. Today, I had to hold myself not to rush to Walmart and get the cheap 1.5 inches Simmons (*LOL*) memory foam pad...

This message was modified Nov 29, 2010 by ZZZZ
Reply #55 Nov 29, 2010 9:13 PM
Just to clarify ... firmness/softness in the upper layers and support are two different things. Support is more about targeting "upwards pressure" and comfort is more about distributing "downwards pressure". The mattress pad may make things firmer and add to "downwards" pressure issues but this firmness wouldn't contribute to support since there would be no "targeted" upwards pressure. The main part of the support needs to come from the springs (or the core in an all latex construction). The upper layers "help" by affecting how much you sink in and to a degree where and how much along your body the springs "push back". If the upper layers are also resilient ... then they can also add to support in the lumbar or recessed areas but a passive material like a pad or memory foam couldn't help much at all as they have little to no resilience.

In other words the core can "help" the upper layers distribute downwards pressure and improve comfort and the upper layers can "help" the core to target upwards pressure and improve support.

The "progressive" resilience qualities of either the springs or the core materials along with the ability to "target" pushback through "point" compression as opposed to "broad" compression are key parts of how different mattress constructions provide support to different sleeping styles and body weight/measurement distributions.

Phoenix

Reply #56 Nov 30, 2010 6:09 PM
I was told to check out the toppers at Ikea. Risk free, since you have 45 days to return it. I went there and checked out the wool/latex (too firm), polyester (not supportive enough), latex (too soft) and this 2.2 lb 2 inches PU foam one:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70163102 which felt not too soft and somewhat supportive.

150$ for the queen size. I brought it home and will try it along with the latex (took off the quilt and egg crate foam). Should I put the latex on top or under?

Reply #57 Nov 30, 2010 6:26 PM
For reference I also received a reply from Literie Laurier on their prices as follows:

"As request topper Talalay latex ILD 40

Queen topper 2 inches 189.00

Queen topper 3 inches 269.00

Queen topper 2 inches with cover Bamboo quilt with wool 249.00

Queen topper 3 inches with cover Bamboo quilt with wool 329.00"

Their prices seem very reasonable indeed (especially when you consider lower shipping, no exchange, and no cross border hassles) and they would probably be the same or similar in other ILD's and similar value in other sizes. I am impressed with their cover and pricing there as well. This is one of the few times where I've seen better value in Canada than an equivalent in the US.

As far as latex on top or under the poly I'm not sure as I would need to know the ILD, density, and quality (HR, HD, or something else) of the poly and the "real" ILD of your latex to give a more "thought out" suggestion. I would "probably" try the poly under the latex first though and give it a couple of days before you switch.

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 30, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #58 Nov 30, 2010 6:43 PM
I agree, not too expensive. 

Just made the bed and I set it up with the poly under. Still feels firm but a tad softer than before. Strangely enough, even though the latex foam feels softer than the poly, it seems to give more "pushback". If my arm goes numb again, I'll switch and see. I could also try the poly along with the egg crate. Hours and hours of fun....

2.2 lb foam, this should last how long?

This message was modified Nov 30, 2010 by ZZZZ
Reply #59 Nov 30, 2010 7:14 PM
I should have gone to the site and looked first before I replied :)

If it really is 2.2 HR poly and made by a good manufacturer ... it should last you a long time ... meaning years. It would last longer under something else than it would on top of the mattress.

The only thing missing in the description (unless I missed it) is the ILD. This in combination with not knowing the ILD of your latex (which from foambymail is always unknown) makes it a little difficult to "theoretically predict" what layering would be best so we'll just have to go with your personal experience here. Typically though the HR denser poly that you more commonly find has a higher ILD although it is available in much softer ILD's as well ... it's just a little harder to find.

The next option I would try after a couple of nights on this one and depending on your "sleep all night" or at least your "sleep part of the night" experience would be the eggcrate over these two layers.

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 30, 2010 by Phoenix

Recent Posts