Side sleeper and pressure points - wasted money on mattress that didn't work.
Jul 20, 2012 2:24 PM
I'm 64 years old. I'm a side sleeper because of apnea. I can breathe on my sides. But I've been having pressure point problems for several years now. If I sleep on the left side, my right hand gets numb, and vice versa, always the hand on top. Then I have to turn over, and after soe hours of this, both shoulders get sore from it too, and I have to turn at sort of a 45 degree angle sideways, to still be able to sleep and breathe.

I don't know if it's age related or not, but I seem to wind up sleeping 5 or so hours, then waking up, having to watch TV for an hour or two, then getting a couple more hours of sleep.

I was using a hard old mattress, from the days when they thought everyone should sleep flat on their backs, so we tried getting memory foam mattresses a few years ago, and spent $3000 on them ( for two queen sized adjustable beds ) hoping that it would solve my problem, but it didn't. Same pressure point problems, no difference.

I just don't know what to do anymore. One of the biggest problems with this, is that I go into a bedding showroom and lie on a bed for a few minutes and it feels great, so I think, this is the soft one that I need and it will solve my problem. But then after spending all that money, it doesn't.

And I bought it because I saw all those commercials of the woman sleeping on her side, and the memory foam mattress keeps the spine straight and everything aligned, but then it doesn't work that way for me. In fact, I have big hips and they sink into the mattress, so my leg in the side I'm sleeping on, goes up in the air and the knee joint winds up hurting, unless I sleep with the top leg on top of the bottom leg, to make it sink in enough not to do that.

It's VERY frustrating.

And now we don't have thousands more to experiment with this, it's taking years just to pay off these memory foam mattresses.

This message was modified Jul 20, 2012 by Melissa2008B
Re: Side sleeper and pressure points - wasted money on mattress that didn't work.
Reply #13 Aug 13, 2012 1:43 PM
Individual Spring coil mattresses can be used on adjustible bases. Today, that is most modern beds.

To the OP, my suggestion to you is to try a high density memory foam like Tempurpedic. Buy it from a retailer that gives you a very good return policy of at least a few months with little to no restocking fee and is willing to actually give you cash back. I would probably point you to the Tempur Rhapsody or the Cloud Lux depending on the breadth of your shoulders and how you align on the bed while in it.

Recent Posts