Should I change my SleepEZ order from 10,000 to 8500? Need advice today.
May 1, 2011 1:30 PM
Hi all,

I just placed an order yesterday for a sleepEZ 10,000 100% natural Talalay with xf/f/m on both sides for me and hubby, but I'm torn if i should change the order to the 8500. I probabably need to do this asap before it ships out. I dont know how to decide. Shawn said it was mostly a matter of preference. here are our stats Husband 6'3" and 230 - mostly stomach sleeper and me 5'3" 140 and stomach/side sleeper.

I'm looking to create a bed with pretty firm support but a little cushion on top (like a "plush" or "cushion" model in an innerspring). I do have occassional low back pain. Hubby seems to prefer a softer bed, but I'm concerned he needs support as a big guy and stomach sleeper.

I've been reading threads on the 8500 vs. 10000 and can't seem to come to a conclusion. Some say the thinner top layer of the 8500 is not good for a side sleeper, that you need something thicker for pressure point relief, but it is good for a stomach/back sleeper since if you want that top layer to be soft, you don't want it to be too thick and soft which could mean not enough support.

Help! one decision factor is maybe price. if i get the 8500 and then need to add layers I can do so, rather than pay more for the 10000 and then have to pay more to add layers to it.

how can i make this decision? is there an advantage/disadvantage to one or the other?

thanks in advance!!! its nice to have others input even if its all subjective. we know we may have to swap out layers once we try the bed, but i just want to try and get the best choice at first and reduce the churning as much as possible.

Re: Should I change my SleepEZ order from 10,000 to 8500? Need advice today.
Reply #4 May 2, 2011 6:09 AM
Thanks Sall. that does make sense as I have done a lot of reading on this forum. so getting that balance is what can drive some people nuts I guess. :)

can you help me choose a set of layers?

Some background info:

We previously ordered a SleepEZ 13000 and it was fine, except some days my lower back was throbbing when i woke up and he felt "achy all over". we didnt really play around with layers much (got busy, lazy) and ended up sending it back since the 90 days was running out (Shawn just told me we could have called and they would have extended it. wish we had tried that, since now prices have gone up!!)

I really like the idea of an all latex mattress though and want to see if we can make it work, so have ordered the 8500 to try again.

Here is what we had before in the 13000, 100% natural talalay:

my side: Soft/Medium/Firm/Firm - 5'3" 140 side/stomach sleeper
        husband's :Medium/Firm/XFirm/Xfirm - 6'4" 230 - mostly stomach sleeper

My question: Given the problems we had w/latex before and our sleeping preferences, what layers do you recommend for our 8500? was my top layer too soft causing me low back pain? and was his side too firm?

Thanks for any advice!!!! I'm so confused. i want to try and get the config right the first time. Shawn was nice, but he threw a lot of info at me and then basically said its preference. I didnt feel he was that useful in helping me choose (which was disappointing since their website says they can help you choose the right layers). Right now I chose xf/f/m for both of us..

Another confusing comment from Shawn was he said we would only feel the top two layers anyway, even my husband at 230, so its really the firmness of the first two layers that matter....i was surprised that someone at 230 would only feel the top two layers

thanks a bunch!

Reply #5 May 4, 2011 12:00 AM
I can feel all three of my layers and my topper. Whenever I switch any of them around, I know and feel the difference.
Reply #6 May 10, 2011 8:12 PM
We just got our SleepEz mattress today.

Went with their 8500 model, 100% natural talalay, with m/f/xf on hubby's side and s/m/f on mine. I'm still not sure if the 10,000 model would have been better or if the layer firmness will work for us, but you have to start somewhere I guess, right?

I'll post an update after we've tried it out for a few nights. I will be so happy to have this work out finally and not think about mattresses for awhile!!! :)

Recent Posts